Savannah?

WayTooCool

We've heard scuttlebut that if Savannah deepens the port, that Carnival will move from Charleston and set up shop in Savannah. Port deepening is under way, has anybody heard anything else to support this rumor? That would probably impact Jax Port as well; Savannah can accommodate the larger ships - however, the Fascination is our very favorite, we've taken 9 cruises on her so far, 2 more on schedule.

I hope they bring a ship there. I would love to have a port that close. We love Fascination too. I look forward to hearing more about this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No I haven't, but I have family in Savannah and we were planning a cruise from Jacksonville or Charleston but Savannah would be a nicer option. I could see them moving the Fantasy to Savannah, as Jacksonville has been important to Carnival for a long time. Savannah is (not sure so don't quote me) the 3rd largest cargo port in the country, and the Panama Canal expansion would bring more. All in all, I could see business there, I would support it too. Maybe even Royal would put a Vision class ship there or something. Carnival could do some cool itineraries such as:

Savannah; Sea Day; Key West; Cozumel; Costa Maya; Sea Day; Sea Day; Savannah

or

Savannah; Sea Day; Grand Turk; San Juan, St.Thomas; Sea Day; Sea Day; Savannah

If Carnival didn't put a newer ship in Savannah and put a Fantasy class ship there and it ran 4/5 night cruises, then they would probably be similar to Jacksonville or Savannah.

I can't support that this is true, but I hope so (:

Savannah is such a beautiful city to visit. A cruise port would be fantastic. Is there a major airport there? Do cities make huge concessions like deepening the channel without any real sort of commitment? Seems like they would be spending millions on just hoping to lure a cruise line. Maybe that's the common practice?

At any rate, fingers crossed, because we sure miss Mobile!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there a major airport there?

One of the factors I take into consideration is airfare into Jacksonville, which is relatively dirt cheap from Nashville. Unfortunately for me, the vast majority of cruisers out of the Charleston/Savannah/Jacksonville market drive to port.

Savannah is such a beautiful city to visit. A cruise port would be fantastic. Is there a major airport there? Do cities make huge concessions like deepening the channel without any real sort of commitment? Seems like they would be spending millions on just hoping to lure a cruise line. Maybe that's the common practice?

At any rate, fingers crossed, because we sure miss Mobile!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The deepening of the channel has nothing to do with cruise ships. The deepening of the channel is to accommodate larger container ships.

Cruise traffic would just be an extra bonus, it in not the driving factor.

The Hysterical Society in Savannah shot that down last year. City Council voted not to pursue cruise line after wasting over 100.000 on a study they knew they were going to vote down

There were several news articles about this a few months ago. Savanah i believe said no to a cruise terminal. Besides that i wouldn't think carnival would stop using charleston for savannah, being so close to,jacksonville. Unless they would consolidate both charleston and jax into savannah. Which i say is very very very unlikely.

There were several news articles about this a few months ago. Savanah i believe said no to a cruise terminal. Besides that i wouldn't think carnival would stop using charleston for savannah, being so close to,jacksonville. Unless they would consolidate both charleston and jax into savannah. Which i say is very very very unlikely.

Haven't been to Savannah yet, but have been dying to visit. If they move there, I'll go nuts between Charleston and Savannah. I'll have to spend one day in each town before the cruise.

A beautiful city, but I would not expect to see Savannah as a cruise port. Savannah certainly has an airport, but it's not major league as to airline flights. Think "connection" if you are going there from many cities. Charleston is the way to go in this area. It's not that far away. What is it, 60, 90 min by car? :confused: I used to fly down to Hilton Head in the Cessna from NJ, and HXD wasn't that far past CHS, and Savannah was pretty close to HXD, but at 200 mph, things get fuzzy as to driving distance.! :eek:

Oh, also, what is unique about a ship named Savannah? She still exists too, and used to carry passengers.

• 1 month later...
I've never been to Savannah. So just curious any chance it could be used as a port of call rather than an port of embarkation? Maybe a stop on cruises departing from new York or Baltimore?

It is on some of the smaller cruise ships, for different cruises lines. More compact. They dock right I river street. I think a day in Savannah or going to Tybee Island would be cool. But I won't expect it on Carnival. They'd rather beat up Nassau than go to Savannah.

Future cruises:

•Carnival Glory- 11/22/14- Eastern Caribbean

•Enchantment of the Seas- 08/10/15- Bahamas

Past Cruises:

•Carnival Pride- 11/20/10- Bahamas

•Carnival Pride- 11/21/11- Bahamas

•Enchantment of the Seas- 11/17/12- Bahamas

•Carnival Glory- 08/10/13- Canada

•Carnival Glory- 11/24/13- Western Caribbean

•Carnival Freedom- 04/13/14- Western Caribbean

The problem would be on a 7 day cruise the itinerary would be bahamas. Boring.

NCL used to do 7 night itineraries from Charleston to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. If they could do it from Charleston, it could be done from Savannah as well.

But yes, they voted down building a cruise terminal so I guess we will never know, at least unless they reverse that decision.

Edited by Tapi

NCL used to do 7 night itineraries from Charleston to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. If they could do it from Charleston, it could be done from Savannah as well.

But yes, they voted down building a cruise terminal so I guess we will never know, at least unless they reverse that decision.

For that itinerary I'd suck up the insane terminal in Charleston. I'd love to be able to cruise out of Savannah, but I prefer Savannah to Charleston for land vacations.

We've heard scuttlebut that if Savannah deepens the port, that Carnival will move from Charleston and set up shop in Savannah. Port deepening is under way, has anybody heard anything else to support this rumor? That would probably impact Jax Port as well; Savannah can accommodate the larger ships - however, the Fascination is our very favorite, we've taken 9 cruises on her so far, 2 more on schedule.

Don't hold your breath. The city leadership of Savannah has already shot down the proposal for a cruise terminal there.