Early - Mid March Weather in the Adriatic

I'm thinking of booking a cruise that stops in Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini and Athens and am debating between booking a early to mid March date so we can get a better cabin for less. I was wondering what the sea is normally like at that time of year or if anything would even be open. Would it be penny-wise and pound-foolish as they say?

The other alternative is to book a cheaper cabin for June or July. I also posted this in the Greece forum.

Sadie

As I posted on the Greek forum, I believe that indeed that would be penny-wise and pound-foolish. Many of the islands basically close down until mid-April and you could have a lot of rainy weather.

We cruised the Med once starting in late April and never will again. My favorite time for smooth seas is late May/early June. The meltemi winds start up in late July and you could miss any Cycladic island stops. (Often affects Delos/Mykonos in particular.)

Edited by CintiPam

As I posted on the Greek forum, I believe that indeed that would be penny-wise and pound-foolish. Many of the islands basically close down until mid-April and you could have a lot of rainy weather.

We cruised the Med once starting in late April and never will again. My favorite time for smooth seas is late May/early June. The meltemi winds start up in late July and you could miss any Cycladic island stops. (Often affects Delos/Mykonos in particular.)

I agree, there is a reason they price it that way. We like May before it gets too hot and crowded.

I'm thinking of booking a cruise that stops in Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini and Athens and am debating between booking a early to mid March date so we can get a better cabin for less. I was wondering what the sea is normally like at that time of year or if anything would even be open. Would it be penny-wise and pound-foolish as they say?

The other alternative is to book a cheaper cabin for June or July. I also posted this in the Greece forum.

Sadie

Please do not even think about March on the Adriatic. Dubrovnik does not begin to open until early April and weather can be ok, more often it is cold, wet and so windy. Come in June, so much better.