Smoking on balconies

coxy

So when smoking has been banned from all cruise lines what are the moaners going to moan about?

Not wanting to smell someone else's crap doesn't make you a moaner.

I used to sympathize with smokers being a former smoker myself. The attitudes of many disgruntled/discourteous smokers (like yours) has changed my tune and I now have zero compassion and hope they move to a 100% smoke free policy one day.

If the ships do become no smoking it won't stop me going, I will take an e-cigarette but let's ban those as well shall we?

As a 'senior Professional ' in the Health Service, no doubt you are going to campaign for a ban on these..........

In a word, Yes. Recent studies are showing them to affect health adversely as well. But, as I learnt many years ago, it is difficult to reason with an addict so I have nothing more to add. The decision has (thankfully) already been taken - like it or not.

In a word, Yes. Recent studies are showing them to affect health adversely as well. But, as I learnt many years ago, it is difficult to reason with an addict so I have nothing more to add. The decision has (thankfully) already been taken - like it or not.

As a health professional I would have thought you would have been aware that the jury is most definitely out regarding the danger or benefits of e-cigarettes,. Can I refer you to the following. For every million smokers who switch to e-cigarettes, more than 6,000 lives a year could be saved, according to the University College London team.

It is acknowledged that you breath in far more pollutants damaging to health just walking down the high street than occur from inhaling passive vapour from an e-ciggs

Edited by cruisebore

You bet your life we would complain too!!

We like to have a balcony cabin so that we can sit outside and have a cup of tea and biscuits in the morning or afternoon and a nightcap in the evening. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to get away from everything else and sit on the balcony and just watch and listen to the sea going by.

Anyhow my point is that we are non-smokers and on our last cruise (before the balcony smoking ban) we were sandwiched between 2 cabins of smokers who obviously smoked on their cabin. We're not so trivial as to say it spoiled our holiday, but the passive smoking did take the edge off the enjoyment of our balcony!

Having said all that we do appreciate that smokers are entitled to their enjoyment too so we thought the ideal plan would have been to have designated cabins where smoking was allowed on the balconies - maybe a specific deck or cabins towards the rear of the ship.

Bells

You bet your life we would complain too!!

We like to have a balcony cabin so that we can sit outside and have a cup of tea and biscuits in the morning or afternoon and a nightcap in the evening. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to get away from everything else and sit on the balcony and just watch and listen to the sea going by.

Anyhow my point is that we are non-smokers and on our last cruise (before the balcony smoking ban) we were sandwiched between 2 cabins of smokers who obviously smoked on their cabin. We're not so trivial as to say it spoiled our holiday, but the passive smoking did take the edge off the enjoyment of our balcony!

Having said all that we do appreciate that smokers are entitled to their enjoyment too so we thought the ideal plan would have been to have designated cabins where smoking was allowed on the balconies - maybe a specific deck or cabins towards the rear of the ship.

Bells

But the specific cabins allocated for smoking on balconies end somewhere and next door there is going to be a non smoking balcony and if you were in one of those you wouldnt be very happy. Also with regards to specific deck or aft I do know for a fact on most of the modern cruise ships a lot of the cabins are suites and those that are not are very popular balconies and usually book up early. I think P&O and majority of other cruise lines have got it right and ban smoking in all cabins and balconies and then provide areas for smokers on deck.

After reading a long thread about smoking on balconies, I didn't find out if it is permissible to use my vaporiser (e-cig) on my balcony?

The official line from P&O is;

"Electronic cigarettes, including those which do not emit smoke, are not permitted in public areas but can be used in cabins, balconies and designated areas of the open deck.

Although we recognise that electronic cigarettes are not covered by the UK legislation we have taken the decision to prohibit their use in all public areas in the same way as real cigarettes for the benefit of all of our passengers."

However, smoking an e-cigarette on a balcony, especially if it emits a visible vapour, is likely to result in complaints from other passengers as they will not necessarily be aware that you are smoking an e-cigarette.

As very recent medical guidance has suggested that there are adverse health implications from e-cigarettes, I suspect that P&O may well categorise them in the same way as cigarettes at some stage.

FYI I don't smoke, just fed up of the continual anti smoking ranting / moaning.

And there are many things that I don't want to smell either but I don't moan about them, I just avoid them.

Not wanting to smell someone else's crap doesn't make you a moaner.

I used to sympathize with smokers being a former smoker myself. The attitudes of many disgruntled/discourteous smokers (like yours) has changed my tune and I now have zero compassion and hope they move to a 100% smoke free policy one day.

I agree. Having been "shot down" because I'm a smoker, I know realise that even though I agree with no smoking on balconies it doesn't matter, because apparently I'm inconsiderate etc etc

That's good news about e-cigs being allowed in cabins and balconies as I do alternate between them and cigarettes. I'm sure though some zealot will try and complain. That's ok, bring it on, although please do complain to my face and don't hide behind P and O staff, as I will refer to P and O's website.

E-cigarettes and vapourizers do look a tad different and guess what, there's no smell of smoke...... Win win all round, but I expect it's not good enough...

Edited by Elephant999

You are so right, and as there is no smell, ash, or tell tale stubs they will have covert CCTV in cabins and balconies to catch the miscreants.

Cb

Something can be banned on a cruise line without covert CCTV being used to catch people out, there is a difference between a ban and enforcement or did you not realise?

I imagine that sooner rather than later e-cigs will go the same way as cigarettes with a ban.

Why??

I totally understand in enclosed public spaces, aircraft etc, but why not be allowed in cabins, balconies etc.

It is after all water vapour, you know the stuff we normally breath out...

Please give me a reasoned response, rather than they may offend, how??

I had the response previous that you cannot reason with an addict (bit over the top), strikes me that you can't reason with the over zealous either.

Edited by Elephant999

Happily. Most other lines ban you from bringing and drinking your own alcohol on board, most passengers abide by this without the need for CCTV in every cabin or balcony. However there are those who do not. Just look at the forums on smuggling alcohol on board and the gadgets you can buy/make to do smuggle it in. Same will go for an e cig ban, most will adhere, others won't but a formal ban as part of your conditions of carriage will bring the amount of e-cig smokers smoking on their balcony or cabin down.

Edited by richleeds

Why??

I totally understand in enclosed public spaces, aircraft etc, but why not be allowed in cabins, balconies etc.

It is after all water vapour, you know the stuff we normally breath out...

Please give me a reasoned response, rather than they may offend, how??

I had the response previous that you cannot reason with an addict (bit over the top), strikes me that you can't reason with the over zealous either.

Some lines have already banned e cigs and e cigs on board share the exact same policy as cigarettes.

One of the main reasons they cite is that passengers cannot differentiate between an e cig and a regular cigarette.

Another reason is that most e-cigs are cheaply made and sold in shoddy shops or the internet, the electronics do not conform to EU specs, google e-cig charger fires, some interesting videos.

The WHO last month advised e-cigs should be banned in public places, some would argue a balcony is a public place.

Airlines incl BA have now banned them.