What is the carseat law when traveling with a infant to Cozumel?

FLCruiser25

Hi,

We will be traveling on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas in January of next year and our son, he will be 15 months old and this will be his first cruise.

What is the car seat requirements for infants when going to excursions on private taxi's cars or vans?

I know that someone told me that bus tours don't allow carseats on board since they don't have seat belts. We don't want to take a carseat with us and than not beable to use it in the taxi's at Cozumel. We are taking his umbrella stroller with us though even if we can't use a carseat.

Mexico:

Mexican law requires both the driver and front seat passenger to wear seat belts, but passengers in the back seat do not have to do so. Children under the age of 12 should sit in the back seat. Children under the age of five must sit in a carseat fastened by the car seat belt in the back seat

However, you'll not find this enforced. You need to ask around and find a taxi that still has seat belts in rear seats (many taxis drivers cut them out). Or rent a automobile that has rear seat belts and then bring your own carrier.

I've skipped the front cab in line a few times because the seatbelts were not functioning. Besides complying with Mexican law you are doing the right thing to keep your son safe - bring the seat and use it, and maybe tip the driver a nextra buck for the time spent installing and uninstalling the seat.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen infants on scooters in Cozumel. So I would guess if you don't bring one, you won't have one. Child safety does not seem to be a top priority there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It may not be a priority for the Mexican authorities, but it should be a priority for the parents.

It may not be a priority for the Mexican authorities, but it should be a priority for the parents.

Agreed.....but in Mexico they don't think of it like we do here. So I would recommend bringing what you need or walk.

ImageUploadedByForums1404484637.234277.jpg.85cf1b708de85b1462fdefa8515a8dcf.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404484661.245627.jpg.9554091de3dae42276bfb63a4ce32a01.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404484672.921461.jpg.d2980b47c4a0842d860354a306898ee8.jpg

Babies don't even get a helmet there, let alone a car seat.....probably a commodity for the upper classes.

We always brought a cheep umbrella stroller and walked. Last day of a trip we would either give it away or throw it out. I also brought car seats for taxis in New York and airplanes. Then with two kids in seats it became easier to travel on by car instead. In those days we drove the good ole USA in the summers, putting on 10,000+ miles a year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

As a prior poster said, I have refused MANY taxis in Coz because they cut out the seat belts in the back as it "takes longer for people to load & unload." Do NOT use one of these taxis, please ,and maybe they will eventually get the hint!

As a prior poster said, I have refused MANY taxis in Coz because they cut out the seat belts in the back as it "takes longer for people to load & unload." Do NOT use one of these taxis, please ,and maybe they will eventually get the hint!

Amen! I did not use seat belts when riding in cars as a kid, and have the scars to prove it! :(