Dunedin: Tour to both Speight's Brewery & Cadbury Chocolate Factory

Pomai

We will be on the Solstice in Dunedin on December 30, 2014. The ship is scheduled from 9:00am to 7:00pm. My family (6 adults) would like to do a combination tour to both Speight's Brewery and Cadbury Chocolate Factory and sightseeing also. Does anyone have any recommendations. I've looked at the ships shore excursions, but it only does the brewery and others that I've searched on-line, you must choose either the brewery or cadbury. I would like to do both with a little sightseeing also. Since this is the first port in New Zealand, not sure what happens, customs, etc. and when we would be able to get off the ship. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Is there any reason why you can't just shuttle into town and do both of these under your own steam? They're both in the city centre, about 10 minutes walk apart,

Totally agree - that's what we did - cruise shuttle into town - (shouldn't be more than $15.00 - it only cost us $10.00 pp - (but allow for inflation - and different cruise line ;)) walked up to the Brewery, lots of helpful guides at the shuttle drop off - to point you in the right direction - back down from there - down hill to Cadbury's - for a fraction of the price you would pay for the ships tour. You are not restricted - it's at your own leisure - and its is more than doable. We did a little extra - we jumped a taxi to Chapman Street - the steepest street in the world - worth a trip - we did all this in one day - in less time than you have. Go it alone - it's more interesting and it is at your own pace.

Edited by dizzy1948

Please do some further research regarding the Cadbury chocolate factory. Have read you do not tour the factory itself but are directed to their gift shop to purchase items. Have read disappointing reviews on the visit.

What you read was about the Cadbury factory in Hobart, which no longer does factory tours due to Health regulations.

The Cadbury Factory in Dunedin NZ, still does them (I have a booking which is recommended).

Look here:

http://www.cadbury.co.nz/en/cadbury-world.aspx

There is a local tour company that does all things the OP wants. I have had dealings with this mob and they are fair dinkum.

Have a look here:

http://travelheadfirst.com/local-legends/cruise-packages-dunedin/

Cheers

We will be on the Solstice in Dunedin on December 30, 2014.

Check to see if the Cadbury factory will be open. It closes down over the christmas holiday period and many folk have arrived expecting a tour and just had a video to watch.

Please do some further research regarding the Cadbury chocolate factory. Have read you do not tour the factory itself but are directed to their gift shop to purchase items. Have read disappointing reviews on the visit.

We have friends that did the tour just over 2 weeks ago - still there. We did ours in December 13. There are two types of tour - and it depends if the "factory" is shut - in which case you get a smaller - very informative tour - with a chocolate pour - so you don't lose. Reading disappointing tours is not really a recommendation. In my opinion of course

The factory was closed when we went - watched the video and did a mini tour - we went on December 26th 2013. It cost us $16.00 ea and was worth it - over an hour tour with chocolate pour. Wonderful history.

Edited by dizzy1948

What you read was about the Cadbury factory in Hobart, which no longer does factory tours due to Health regulations.

The Cadbury Factory in Dunedin NZ, still does them (I have a booking which is recommended).

Look here:

http://www.cadbury.co.nz/en/cadbury-world.aspx

There is a local tour company that does all things the OP wants. I have had dealings with this mob and they are fair dinkum.

Have a look here:

http://travelheadfirst.com/local-legends/cruise-packages-dunedin/

Cheers

Thanks for the website, I have emailed them for more information, this is exactly what I was looking for. Also checked the Cadbury website and they are open on Dec 30, 2014.:)

TWe did a little extra - we jumped a taxi to Chapman Street - the steepest street in the world - worth a trip - we did all this in one day - in less time than you have. Go it alone - it's more interesting and it is at your own pace.

The steepest street is Baldwin Street

The steepest street is Baldwin Street

Oh whoops....I mean't Baldwin Street - I don't know where Chapman Street came from - must be old age and dry rot :o I hope I haven't got people frantically looking for Chapman Street...sorry. Worth a trip up for sure.

Oh whoops....I mean't Baldwin Street - I don't know where Chapman Street came from - must be old age and dry rot :o I hope I haven't got people frantically looking for Chapman Street...sorry. Worth a trip up for sure.

I knew a Dizzy Lizzie many many moons ago who did that same sort of thing. :D

Did you ever live in Sydney?

Edited by Flipper133

• 3 weeks later...

When we did this we got the shuttle into town then as we were walking around came across Speights walked in and did the tour no reservations. On our way back to meet the shuttle we walked passed Cadburys and the same thing just walked in and did a tour a lot of fun and then cheap samples. Had a great day and didn't pay cruise line prices

• 3 weeks later...
We will be on the Solstice in Dunedin on December 30, 2014. The ship is scheduled from 9:00am to 7:00pm. My family (6 adults) would like to do a combination tour to both Speight's Brewery and Cadbury Chocolate Factory and sightseeing also. Does anyone have any recommendations. I've looked at the ships shore excursions, but it only does the brewery and others that I've searched on-line, you must choose either the brewery or cadbury. I would like to do both with a little sightseeing also. Since this is the first port in New Zealand, not sure what happens, customs, etc. and when we would be able to get off the ship. Any ideas would be appreciated.

We have used Good company tours twice and they were wonderful. We hired their van and driver for about $NZ 50 or $60 an hour and Adele took us on a wonderful tour she also booked us into do the Cadbury factory tour and drove us up Baldwin street. You tell her what you would like to do and she will do her best to design a tour for you. We have also done the Train ride and city tour for a lot less than the ship. Good Company cost less for 2 adults and a child than it would of cost for 1 adult with the ship. They also offer a ship pick up and take you into town and you have free time in town. It is an easy walk to the Cadbury factory etc from were they drop you off. They then pick you up in the afternoon and take you on a 2 hr tour before returning you to the ship for $NZ35 adult . They are very reliable and I highly recommend them.

Cheers Trish

http://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz/shore-excursions-dunedin

Edited by Jasp 0401

• 2 weeks later...