Live Opera from Norway.

papcx

The taxi drivers in Southampton are very polite. Ours was wearing a shirt and tie!

The porters are very friendly too!

The que for security checks is massive. 10 minutes so far and only moved about a third of the length.

Remember,

Keep calm and carry on cruising.

Hi U3

Have a great cruise and lets hope everyone you meet ashore sounds like the Captain of the Braemar.

Bon Voyage and have one for us.

Look after yourselves and each udder.

Hi Clive.

I can gladly report there is NO sea mist in Southampton.

Remember,

Keep calm and carry on cruising.

Papcx have a wonderful cruise!

Norwegiancruiser, we have a street in Split Croatia that carries the name of your city (it's called Trondheimska). I do know the reason why we have it. :)

Sent from my MediaPad 7 Lite using Tapatalk

Day 1. Sun 29th.

Embarkation from Southampton.

I will not bore you with the details of a motorway service station breakfast or hotel checkout, instead I will go straight to the cruise portion.

Southampton cruise terminal is quite new and well designed. Out taxi driver (who was wearing a shirt and tie) took us the baggage drop, were we were helped with extra luggage labels by a friendly porter, who got a nice tip for his trouble. We were then dropped of at departures.

The security check line took 35 minutes, I'll never know why there was only 2 scanners in use. After that came check-in, and as there were more of them than security, several we're waiting for passengers, so there was no queue. Check-in for the 3 of us took about 4 minutes.

And then we're on-board. Every crew member says hello as we pass. I nip to reception to link Marion's count to my credit card. There's no queue and it takes about 30 seconds to complete. Very good.

We throw our hand luggage into our cabins and go to the MDR for lunch. The nice waiter on the door tells us there's a special buffet for embarking passengers but we ask to be seated. As the lady is walking us in, I ask to be seated by a window and she does.

The lunch and service is good. I have piña colada soup, strip sirloin steak and apricot flan with strawberry sauce.

A quick check to see if bags have arrived, they haven't so up to the pool bar to see if the roll call is about. There are 13 only on the roll call and when we arrive it makes 11 at the meet, which is pretty good as there wasn't a firm plan to meet, just a soft idea. We sit chatting for an hour or so. As we are ,a 10th member says hello.

As people drift away to explore the ship it's getting closer to muster time, so we head towards the cabins, no sooner have we moved as the pips go!

The muster drill is the usual MSC display of dis-interest. I sometimes think that as soon as they have the red card to please SOLAS, then what the hell? Some people turned up without life jackets, there's a lot of talking etc. now I've done a few muster drills now, but I can keep quiet for 15 minutes to show I'm serious about safety and it's procedures, it's only a few minutes. Untill people are dis-embarked for failure to comply correctly to the drill some people will not take it seriously.

Life jackets into the room and top deck with a cocktail for sail away. Time to say goodbye is played over the tanoy as we pull out and then the animation team starts by the pool. There's singing and dancing, all the stuff Tim would love ;-)

A quick unpack and dress for dinner. As were leaving our cabin steward introduces himself, asks which dinner seating were on, confirms we want the daily news in English and asks if everything is okay with the rooms. As we leave I discretely ask can he do a towel animal for Marion tonight, which he agrees. It's nice that we've seen him, on our last 2 MSC or stewards didn't introduce themselves.

We grab a drink and head to the theatre. Jean and I always sit towards the back and we do today. I have to say the show was probably the best I've seen on MSC. A pianist, violinist, suprano and a tenor.

Then to the Cotton bar, were a crew member danced with Marion. Then Jean and Marion take part in a salsa "class" I supported from the bar. The class is cut short as we head for dinner.

We have a table for 3, tucked against a pillar, but it sounds worse than it is. We had asked for a large table, but we shall carry on as we are.

Our waiter is Persana and his assistant is Gede. Unfortunately the service is very slow. Very slow! 45 minutes for our first course to arrive. 1 3/4 hours in total and we only had 4 courses. When Persanna asked if wanted dessert I asked how quickly it would come? He said very quickly, so I commented that so far it had been very slow, first night was the reason he came up with. To be fair dessert did come very quickly. We shall see how tomorrow is.

A short walk on deck, it had been raining so we cut our walk short and went to the Cotton club. Marion had several dances with some of the animation team. Guy, one of the animation team members came and talked to us during a break in the music. He's a nice guy! From South Africa, has worked on various MSC ships for 2 years and this is his last cruise. He's contract is over and he's going home to study.

When getting some water for the room, the waitress, who's name escaped me, advised we alternate use of our cards. It didn't matter to the bars, but accounts would see lots of sales on one card and become suspicious.

Returning to the cabin, Marion has been left 2 swans. Good job steward!

uvezese5.jpg

We loose an hour tonight, so in effect it's 2AM by the time we go to bed.

So first day summing up. The ship is very clean, as are all MSC ships. Majority of the crew are friendly, saying hello as you pass. I'd give the first day 99% only let down by the dinner service. We shall see how tomorrow is.

Finally, the ship is FULL! There are a lot of kids onboard, kids sail free! We shall see how that affects the cruise.

"The muster drill is the usual MSC display of dis-interest. I sometimes think that as soon as they have the red card to please SOLAS, then what the hell? Some people turned up without life jackets, there's a lot of talking etc. now I've done a few muster drills now, but I can keep quiet for 15 minutes to show I'm serious about safety and it's procedures, it's only a few minutes. Untill people are dis-embarked for failure to comply correctly to the drill some people will not take it seriously"

Paul ... We have seen the same thing on a number of cruises now regarding the above, what some people do not appear to understand is that not all Lifejackets on all cruise lines are the same! these very same people will be shouting the loudest to the waiting lawyers that they had no instructions should anything go wrong.

Do you recall the name of the Animation team guy from S.A ?

Day 2 Ijmuiden, Amsterdam.

It can't be morning already!

Up and out pretty quick for breakfast in MDR. I have Eggs Benedict which are very good, as is the service. We're sat with a nice couple from Poole.

MooMoo - you'll be pleased to know they have butter!

We dock as we're eating. The weather is grim!

Then to the theatre awaiting our excursion. The wait is short and we're off the ship. The port of Ijmuiden won't allow passengers to walk on the dock so we get on a bus that drives us about 2/3 the length of the ship to the terminal!

Through passport control and onto a waiting bus, and we're off. I'm not used to well planned MSC excursions.

The trip is about 45 minutes to Amsterdam. We have a pleasant 4 hours walking around the city, although being in the red light district with my MIL is a little awkward. (A little hrs to "window" shop) The weather also brightens up and it becomes a nice day.

Back on the bus and return to the ship. Throw our bags in the room and head for the buffet for a snack. As it's the muster drill for new passengers the only section open is pizza, burgers and dog dogs. I have a chicken burger and a hot dog, but it's a proper sausage, not a cheap hotdog sausage.

We watch sail away from the back on deck 11. "Time to say goodbye" is again played on the tanoy, but we don't see what's going on on the pool deck.

Change for dinner and to the theatre. The dancers are to MSC usual "standard" the hula hoop girl is okay (dropped one) and the balance act on the blocks is good. Singers good.

A quick drink in the La Cabala piano bar. The pianist and violinist from last nights show is playing and it's nice. And off to dinner.

Service is quicker today. 2 hours for 4 courses, but we did "pop out" for about 20 minutes to watch the sun set, which was stunning.

I had: -

Salmon and mouse.

The seafood pasta (ending a long running tradition of "always the risotto")

Turkey stuffed with ham and cheese

Pear flan with almond and cream.

The turkey is only okay but everything else is very good.

Marion did ask to change her roast beef as, even though she asked for well done, it was very, very well done.

A walk through deck 6 deciding where to go, we decide to try the Caruso Lounge on deck 7 because we've not seen it yet.

Jean and Marion have a few dances on the crowded dance floor. It's played back music, but a video screen shows still images of the artists. Then it's a live band which are okay. Lots of families, some with young children, but it thins out after a while and is a pleasant lounge.

I excuse myself and head to reception. I have an email, but they don't ask to see it. Because myself and Jean are MSC club members, we'll be invited to the captains cocktail night for returning guests. I've asked the MSC club if they can invite Marion, even though she's not a member (yet). I'm at reception for about a minute and they say it's all sorted. Sounds good, let's see if MSC's organisational skills have improved. I'll let you know.

When I return to the girls they're talking to Zak, another member of the animation team, again from South Africa. He's (and Guy again) been dancing with Marion, and he wants to know how she's so much energy? Marion can't really answer, she just has!

A walk along pool deck, it's raining so were under the cover and into the disco! Not really my scene, and it's full of..... How can I put it. For anyone who was on the Armonia repo, let's just say it was full of kids from the village (thanks Ali). Jean and Marion enjoy it though, even dancing to the rave music.

3AM and off to bed far too late again.

Marion has a towel monkey, more chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of Moët. Going to have to check the bill!

2nd day summary.

Excellent again.

Food and service in the MDR, for breakfast and dinner, is very good again. Service is better, probably about the same amount of time, but the 1st course came sooner, and the rest were better spaces out.

Excursion execution was very good, something we're not used to on MSC.

Reception is again very impressive IF the invite for Marion arrives!

I'm more and more impressed by the Opera. It's very similar to the Armonia, but somehow feels more classy, maybe because she's a newer ship. The layout is a little different, and she's better for it. She's clean, again armies of stewards cleaning constantly.

Coming tomorrow, a 49 page report including pictures, not taken by myself, on the construction, operating and structural problems with the MSC Opera (did I mention there's no wrap-around promenade deck or forward observation lounge yet surprisingly I am still able to see the sea.)

The day after I'll be solving the current financial problems of the Western Hemisphere. Oh no, I can't do that, I'm too busy enjoying my cruise.

If anyone wants photos of ashtrays or the back of TV's let me know.

For heavens sake Jeans got the t shirt. There's no rain on cruises, only sea mist.

Are you looking forward to having a Fillipino father in law/

Clive. Behave yourself.

Coming tomorrow, a 49 page report including pictures, not taken by myself, on the construction, operating and structural problems with the MSC Opera (did I mention there's no wrap-around promenade deck or forward observation lounge yet surprisingly I am still able to see the sea.)

The day after I'll be solving the current financial problems of the Western Hemisphere. Oh no, I can't do that, I'm too busy enjoying my cruise.

If anyone wants photos of ashtrays or the back of TV's let me know.

OMG, nearly choked on my Peroni!

Actually there is a front observation area, think it's at the front of deck 9. I didn't discover it until half way through my second cruise on the ship. It is directly under the bridge. You get a great view of the staff pool if you're so inclined. It gets a tad blowy out there, so keep a hold of your hat!

OMG, nearly choked on my Peroni!

Actually there is a front observation area, think it's at the front of deck 9. I didn't discover it until half way through my second cruise on the ship. It is directly under the bridge. You get a great view of the staff pool if you're so inclined. It gets a tad blowy out there, so keep a hold of your hat!

Thanks Amo.

I went for a look, but thought all the doors were emergency exits. I'll have to have another look.

Mmmmmmm butter.

You've let us all down shunning the risotto. Not sure if I know you anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, butter is plentiful.

I didn't have risotto tonight either! I'm not sure what's going on.

Also. Have a look at this.

a2yvepej.jpg

Day 1. Sun 29th.

Embarkation from Southampton.

I will not bore you with the details of a motorway service station breakfast or hotel checkout, instead I will go straight to the cruise portion.

Southampton cruise terminal is quite new and well designed. Out taxi driver (who was wearing a shirt and tie) took us the baggage drop, were we were helped with extra luggage labels by a friendly porter, who got a nice tip for his trouble. We were then dropped of at departures.

The security check line took 35 minutes, I'll never know why there was only 2 scanners in use. After that came check-in, and as there were more of them than security, several we're waiting for passengers, so there was no queue. Check-in for the 3 of us took about 4 minutes.

And then we're on-board. Every crew member says hello as we pass. I nip to reception to link Marion's count to my credit card. There's no queue and it takes about 30 seconds to complete. Very good.

We throw our hand luggage into our cabins and go to the MDR for lunch. The nice waiter on the door tells us there's a special buffet for embarking passengers but we ask to be seated. As the lady is walking us in, I ask to be seated by a window and she does.

The lunch and service is good. I have piña colada soup, strip sirloin steak and apricot flan with strawberry sauce.

A quick check to see if bags have arrived, they haven't so up to the pool bar to see if the roll call is about. There are 13 only on the roll call and when we arrive it makes 11 at the meet, which is pretty good as there wasn't a firm plan to meet, just a soft idea. We sit chatting for an hour or so. As we are ,a 10th member says hello.

As people drift away to explore the ship it's getting closer to muster time, so we head towards the cabins, no sooner have we moved as the pips go!

The muster drill is the usual MSC display of dis-interest. I sometimes think that as soon as they have the red card to please SOLAS, then what the hell? Some people turned up without life jackets, there's a lot of talking etc. now I've done a few muster drills now, but I can keep quiet for 15 minutes to show I'm serious about safety and it's procedures, it's only a few minutes. Untill people are dis-embarked for failure to comply correctly to the drill some people will not take it seriously.

Life jackets into the room and top deck with a cocktail for sail away. Time to say goodbye is played over the tanoy as we pull out and then the animation team starts by the pool. There's singing and dancing, all the stuff Tim would love ;-)

A quick unpack and dress for dinner. As were leaving our cabin steward introduces himself, asks which dinner seating were on, confirms we want the daily news in English and asks if everything is okay with the rooms. As we leave I discretely ask can he do a towel animal for Marion tonight, which he agrees. It's nice that we've seen him, on our last 2 MSC or stewards didn't introduce themselves.

We grab a drink and head to the theatre. Jean and I always sit towards the back and we do today. I have to say the show was probably the best I've seen on MSC. A pianist, violinist, suprano and a tenor.

Then to the Cotton bar, were a crew member danced with Marion. Then Jean and Marion take part in a salsa "class" I supported from the bar. The class is cut short as we head for dinner.

We have a table for 3, tucked against a pillar, but it sounds worse than it is. We had asked for a large table, but we shall carry on as we are.

Our waiter is Persana and his assistant is Gede. Unfortunately the service is very slow. Very slow! 45 minutes for our first course to arrive. 1 3/4 hours in total and we only had 4 courses. When Persanna asked if wanted dessert I asked how quickly it would come? He said very quickly, so I commented that so far it had been very slow, first night was the reason he came up with. To be fair dessert did come very quickly. We shall see how tomorrow is.

A short walk on deck, it had been raining so we cut our walk short and went to the Cotton club. Marion had several dances with some of the animation team. Guy, one of the animation team members came and talked to us during a break in the music. He's a nice guy! From South Africa, has worked on various MSC ships for 2 years and this is his last cruise. He's contract is over and he's going home to study.

When getting some water for the room, the waitress, who's name escaped me, advised we alternate use of our cards. It didn't matter to the bars, but accounts would see lots of sales on one card and become suspicious.

Returning to the cabin, Marion has been left 2 swans. Good job steward!

uvezese5.jpg

We loose an hour tonight, so in effect it's 2AM by the time we go to bed.

So first day summing up. The ship is very clean, as are all MSC ships. Majority of the crew are friendly, saying hello as you pass. I'd give the first day 99% only let down by the dinner service. We shall see how tomorrow is.

Finally, the ship is FULL! There are a lot of kids onboard, kids sail free! We shall see how that affects the cruise.

Please say Hi to Guy, from Malcolm and Mandy, and that we will be looking him up in November !

Thanx.

Thanks Amo.

I went for a look, but thought all the doors were emergency exits. I'll have to have another look.

There are access doors on deck 12 and deck 8 (which do look like emergency exits and have a perspex barrier across them when they are shut) though they are shut whilst cruising but usually open for sail-ins and sail-outs

The Deck 12 forward viewing balcony is not open fully fom side to side as there are two balconies chained off

There is also a nice verandha at the stern on deck 12 accessed through the disco.

Deck 8 forward balcony with stairs to deck 9 balcony

P1040165.jpg

Deck 9 balcony

P1040166.jpg

Deck 12 verandha at the stern

P1040101.jpg

Enjoy your cruise

Pete

Edited by Skier52