Switch to Early Saver?

JinxyB

I just spent about 15 min on the phone with a very nice Carnival rep but have a few questions for those of you who book Early Saver. I can switch to ES, but would have to give up my current interior cabin on Lido deck because they are sold out. I'm not too thrilled about that, but could deal with moving down to Deck 9. I understand you can only price match to your cabin category and not to a category below what you are booked at.

I'm thinking the cabins on higher decks will sell out quicker than ones on the lower decks, leaving me with nothing to price match to. I'm not willing to book a cabin on Deck 1 and gamble that the price will drop and I can upgrade to a higher deck closer to the cruise. I'm also not sure if oceanview or balcony cabin prices will drop to lower than what I am currently paying for my inside. Am I missing something? In the past I have paid to upgrade myself from an interior to a balcony when the price dropped to what I was willing to pay. I'm thinking I should just keep myself booked at the rate I am currently at and avoid ES. Please tell me if I'm missing something. The rep told me ES will not be available after this weekend. Thanks for any advice!

I dont know why you would have to give up your cabin if you are only changing rates?

Early saver rates are only available for a certain length of time-- when is your cruise?

If the rate comes down in say an oceanview-- you would have to move to the ocean view to get the rate-- and that means moving down to the riveria deck.

Are you wanting to change to ES just so you have a chance at getting price drops...? I wouldn't give up a cabin that I liked for that gamble. s

in 22 cruises only 2 ever came down in price. All the rest sailed at a higher rate then I paid.

but by reading these boards it sounds like price drops happen all the time- it doesnt

if this is for the halloween sailing-- it will sell out.

Edited by serene56

Yes, it's for the Halloween sailing on the Breeze. All the lido interiors are sold out so the rep told me there is no current price because none are available. I guess I don't understand why I can't keep my lido cabin if I switch to ES. I'm staying put with the rate I booked under. I considered switching to ES to get price drops but I guess I should be happy with what I have lol.

Yes, it's for the Halloween sailing on the Breeze. All the lido interiors are sold out so the rep told me there is no current price because none are available. I guess I don't understand why I can't keep my lido cabin if I switch to ES. I'm staying put with the rate I booked under. I considered switching to ES to get price drops but I guess I should be happy with what I have lol.

What you could do is:

- first call and switch your interior cabin to a different lower category

- once your Lido cabin is free, it should generate a price under ES

- then switch back to your original cabin, but book under ES

There's a chance your cabin could get taken while doing this, but if you call at an unpopular time like 0600, probably it wouldn't happen. There was a thread recently of someone who did this and got a price drop on a 6k scenic Oceanview cabin.

Jenn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What you could do is:

- first call and switch your interior cabin to a different lower category

- once your Lido cabin is free, it should generate a price under ES

- then switch back to your original cabin, but book under ES

There's a chance your cabin could get taken while doing this, but if you call at an unpopular time like 0600, probably it wouldn't happen. There was a thread recently of someone who did this and got a price drop on a 6k scenic Oceanview cabin.

Jenn

But couldn't that backfire? That would open up just one cabin so it likely will be the same price or higher.

jenng1976 , that's a good idea. Let's say I am successful at doing this- I still won't have any chance to get a price drop bc all the cabins in that category are sold out. I think I'm making this more difficult then it has to be!

But couldn't that backfire? That would open up just one cabin so it likely will be the same price or higher.

That's true ... I guess if it was me I would look at the ES pricing for the categories above/below mine to estimate what it might be and if it's worth the gamble. But you're right it could be higher!

jenng1976, that's a good idea. Let's say I am successful at doing this- I still won't have any chance to get a price drop bc all the cabins in that category are sold out. I think I'm making this more difficult then it has to be!

There's always the possibility that the category will open up again at some point as people upgrade or cancel.

Do you think ES would be cheaper than the rate you have now? For example, by checking Fareviewer for the other inside categories, you would probably get a good idea of what the price for yours might be.

in 22 cruises only 2 ever came down in price. All the rest sailed at a higher rate then I paid.

but by reading these boards it sounds like price drops happen all the time- it doesnt

Not as many cruises under my belt, but several and I have never sailed at a higher rate than paid.

I have always realized some sort of reduction, sometimes smallish, but sometimes significant - and often close to sail date.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

Not as many cruises under my belt, but several and I have never sailed at a higher rate than paid.

I have always realized some sort of reduction, sometimes smallish, but sometimes significant - and often close to sail date.

not even close to sail date did my price come down. and I watched EVERy day sometimes twice. I book as soon as prices come available.