Pros and Cons of Cove Balconies

funone2

Pros:

Close to water

Great Views

Less Sun as most coves are under lifeboats

Cons:

Most are under galley/dining room which can lead to noise at night

Lower on the ship(I prefer to be on deck 7-8)

Can be closed during inclement weather leaving you with just a window.

Pro's

Close to water

Great views while in port.

Less wind than a regular balcony.

Less sun

Con's

Most under dining area but no real noise at night.

When poor weather you get wet on the balcony

Cabins right above stabilizer you will hear it all day and night long a steady grinding as the stabilizer adjusts to sea conditions.

Cove Balcony Pros:

- Close to the water

- Deck 2 right below the atrium, dining, etc.

- Balconies are private - especially on the dream class with deck 6-7 are invasive with the Promenade extending on 5

- Lowest priced balcony

- Lower, mid ship location has less sway

- I believe balconies are slightly larger than regular balconies

Cons

- Further away from Lido

- No clear balcony wall

- Risk of closing storm doors (rare)

- Balcony partitions do not open on both sides of the balcony - only one

We had a Cove twice...once on the Dream and once on the Breeze.

Loved it. It was great....like the other posters said, being close to the water is nice and the shade is nice.....

Hated the noise above in the kitchen galley. It wasn't too bad on the Dream, but on the Breeze, it was crazy....kept hearing things hit the floor. This was mostly at night. Other times, not bad.

Would I do it again, yes, but I would try another location away from the galley.

We had a cove on the Dream and a lido on liberty. I think given the choice I would pick a cove. DH may be another story, as the bar is soooooo far away. :rolleyes: But I, who makes the reservations, :D, loved being close to the water. So if we ever sail on a ship with that has coves, I'm pretty sure that is what we would have. ;) But do your research and make sure your room is under a quiet location.

Edited by kona_wahine

Only negative we encountered on our cove balcony on the Magic was that to see the water you had to stand up. When we sat down the metal enclosure that surrounds the railing blocked our view of the ocean. Otherwise, we loved being so close to the water and were even able to see flying fish from our cove. Even though our room was under the galley, noise from the kitchen was not an issue for us.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

We loved our cove balcony.

Book Forward coves between the forward and midship elevators, that's below the forward dining room, and only one flight of stairs down from the Lobby bar!

Also, if going to Lido for coffee in the morning, walk to the midship elevator and go up from there, wind up right near the coffee machines!

LOVED my cove balcony!

Close to the water, large balcony, shade!

Just book far enough so you are not over the galley.

CONS:

You are a tad farther away from the food trough and the elevators tend to be busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a cove perfectly between the forward & midship elevators, underneath the dining room. No noise at all from above at night, since it's empty all night long. Even when it's in use, you can't really hear very much, if anything. Can't say anything bad about our cove. On the balcony, there are openings in the lower part of the enclosure, so you can sit and still see the water, just not as well as if you were standing. I loved the shade from the lifeboats. The coves are the only balconies on those ships that have an unobstructed view. All other balconies look down onto the deck 5 lanai. Not a big obstruction for higher up balconies, but a very big obstruction to decks 6 & 7. Cove balconies are 45 sq.ft, compared to 35 for the standard balconies.

The location of our cove, in relation to the entire ship, was great! The only time we needed elevators was to get to/from the lido deck, and the forward elevators have 6 elevators, plus 4 glass elevators. Rarely was there much of a wait for an elevator, since the crowds are pretty scattered as to when they will be going to/from lido deck. People who stay higher on the ship need the elevators for going to/from dining rooms, theater, comedy club, & getting off/on the ship. And that's when the elevators are slammed, as everyone is going to/from those places at the exact same time, and they could have a very long wait. But when you're in a cove, you get to just take a couple flights of stairs to/from your room while all those people wait forever for an elevator.

The only cons are for the ones below the galley/kitchen, because of noise. It's quite rare that the cove balconies get locked up, but it could happen. If it happens, then the seas are probably so rough that nobody is wanting to be out on their balcony.

I guess I'm one of those people that will give you more cons.

Pros are they are usually cheaper. They are lower down if you are worried more about motion. They do seem a little deeper than regular balcony cabins. It is very novel to be that close to the water.

Cons: Biggest two for me...not being able to see out unless I stood up, and the fact that the balcony pretty much stayed wet all the time just from the mist kicked up by the wake of the ship. Perhaps this was partially related to me being more forward and mid-ship and aft would have been less "misty".

I prefer aft balconies to the cove, but if the option is that or an oceanview for only a little bit more, I still do like to have a balcony.

Thank you all for the input. There are some interesting points for both pro and con. BUT, some of the pro's, are con's for me, and vice-versa.

I found a cruise where the price for a cove is ridiculously low ... and thought well, maybe. Guess I need to think about it a bit more.

Thanks again :)

Thank you all for the input. There are some interesting points for both pro and con. BUT, some of the pro's, are con's for me, and vice-versa.

I found a cruise where the price for a cove is ridiculously low ... and thought well, maybe. Guess I need to think about it a bit more.

Thanks again :)

Pro: Watch the dolphins {porpoises} when you leave port

Very inexpensive balcony room

We NEVER heard any noise from above on deck 3 on the Dream

Probably muted by the sound of the waves, mmmmmmmm

Con: You'll get wet when the weather is rough if you go out