Advice when traveling with a baby

Jen516

If you plan to send the dirty clothes to be washed during the cruise, can you bring your own laundry detergent? My son has eczema and psoriasis and very sensitive skin, so we can only use Ivory Snow to wash his clothes. I am afraid of using anything else as his skin is sensitive and this is not something that would be fun to deal with (or necessary) on a cruise. I planning to bring our own crib sheet on our cruise next summer (NCL uses a Graco Pack 'n' Play so this is not a problem for us) due to detergent issues.

Bonnie

Not sure of which cruiseline you're traveling on but you may want to check out their website (or CC forum for that line) to see if they offer in-room babysitting. Some cruiselines only have group babysitting, after 10pm (Princess and Carnival charges only $5/hr) and you may want to be aware of deadlines (how soon you have to sign up).

Some cruiselines have a frig, some don't. That's easy enough to check on but important info to have.

If you bring car seat (we did for the first couple of cruises and booster seat last cruise), check it with the porter so you don't have to lug it on ship. (the other passengers trying to board at the same time will appreciate it). Hopefully there'll be a good place to stow it in your cabin.

Inquire if the ship has laundry facilities available for passengers. If it does, you can do your own laundry and use your preferred detergent.

Also, NCL does not have ANY babysitting or child care services or facilities available for children under 2. They don't seem to be flexible about any age exceptions.

Bonnie,

My DS is currently 16 months old and will be 18 months old when we go on our RCI Mariner cruise 11/13. I think you are thinking in terms of a baby instead of a toddler for your cruise. My DS is completely out of bottles, using sippy cups only. Also, once my DS is in his PJ's, he doesn't mess them 'cause he goes to bed within 1/2 an hour. So, you won't need double the PJ's. Also, not all toddlers are like this, but my nephew and my DS both pull their bibs off. Especially the disposable ones. I bought 2 boxes of them for the cruise a few months ago and now I'm storing them for my next kid... :D Also, I'm going to bring about 3 extra daytime outfits, but that's about it. We plan on changing him into his evening outfit just before dinner, bath after dinner, then bed. I'm going to bring some of the over the head bibs for dinner and put them on him just before he eats, that usually works 'cause then he's too busy eating to pull it off. ;) Anyway, the good news is that you won't have to take as much! :p The rest of your list looks pretty good. Hope this helps you.

Kim

On out last cruise last year when our son was about 1.5 years and we got a suite. It had a lot more space than the other rooms, besically the size of a regular hotel room, but we quicly found out there was a down side. When our son went down about 8:00pm, we had to tip toe around the room and basically sit on the balcony or lie in bed. We couldnt watch TV, because it lit up the whole room.

It was great during the day because there was plenty of room for him to run around a little, but the nights were hard.

This cruise, we opted for 2 joining rooms so when he goes down, we can use the other room and not disturb him.

just an FYI

Yes! This is my first child. Can you tell? ;)

Do you think it is better to reserve the early seating and attempt to go with my son?

It really depends on his napping schedule and whether you are from the east coast or west coast. If you are a westcoast person cruising the east coast, do the late seating. But if you are in the same time zone, do the early seating if you want to eat with him. If you are hiring a babysitter at night and you and your husband enjoy eating later alone, then feed him early at Windjammer. But follow closely to his normal schedule and routine at home, if possible. So if he normally eats dinner at 6, schedule his dinner meals on board at 6pm also.

There are tricks to having dinners with your 12M old:

1. don't go when your child is tired.

2. bring anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down the high chair and the tray before putting your child into the seat.

3. bring a bottle of hand sanitizers and use it on your child's hands all the time.

4. bring a snack or toy so your child can play with it or munch on it while you read the menu and order your food.

5. bring extra bottles and sippy cups to fill up extra juice and milk at the table. Don't forget to bring a small bottle of dishwashing detergent and a sponge/brush to wash your baby's bottles/plates/bowls/utensils/cups in your cabin.

6. we bring our own plastic bowls and plates and utensils for our toddler/baby. We pack all these things in ziploc bags.

7. portable DVD player and extra re-chargeable battery, as well as your baby's favorite DVDs. This will come in handy when your baby has finished eating and you are still waiting for your desserts.

How about the pools on board? I know the rule is no swimming when not potty trained, but is that REALLY the case?

Yes, it's followed strictly. Even if the cruiseline people don't say anything, other cruisers will comment. There are already lots of cruisers who dislike small children on board. Although I don't agree with them, I do understand where they are coming from. So when I travel with my children, I try to make them less a "nuissance" to other cruisers.

Besides, I really don't think the ship's pool is that clean after 2-3 days at sea. They don't really drain it every day. And do you really want your 12M old to swim in heavily chlorinated water?! If your ports of call is in resort towns, just get off the ship and find a resort hotel nearby and hang out at the hotel pool. Your child will enjoy that much more than the ship's pool.

Other things I think you'll need to cruise with a 12M old:

1. Bring lots of ziplocs and/or plastic bags (from grocery stores) to put the dirty diapers. I feel bad for the cabin stewards who clean our garbage cans. So I usually tied up dirty diapers in old plastic bags so the bathroom doesn't smell so bad. You'll need to put some plastic bags in your diaper bags as well. I know Dollar Store sells scented diaper disposal bags (100 cts for $1) and those are great to have.

2. a narrow stroller. We have a combi stroller and it was OK to manuver down the aisle, but my sister had a peg perego and a Graco. Both were a little wide. Your child can nap in the stroller if you go on shore or if you walk around the ship.

3. I bring our own portable DVD players and my kids' favorite DVDs

4. Your child's favorite snack for cranky times.

5. Unless you are still breastfeeding your child or if your child is old enough for cow's milk, you'll need to bring formula on board.

6. Bring extra diapers and wipes. I would do 8 diapers/day and 1 diaper for every hour of plane trip or away from the ship.

7. Bring some small toys to surprise your child.

8. hand sanitizers and anti-bacterial wipes.

------------------

I don't know if the cruiseline you are on provide baby food, ask your TA to call to find out and reserve some if your child still eats baby food. We were on Princess and we were provided with a month worth of rice cereal and Gerber's 2nd stage baby food for a week's cruises!!! But the ship may not have your baby's favorite flavor, so you may have to bring those along.

-----------------

HTH.

Jennifer

p.s. If you have any more questions about cruising with a baby, email me: jtsaila@excite.com

DZNY, Our DD and SIL are debating about joining us for a 4 nighter and taking their DD, who will be 16 months old at cruising date. Do you pay close to full fare?

There are always 3rd and 4th passenger rates that you can use for the 16M old. Personally, I would not go on a cruise if I have to pay full price for kids. I know NCL do not charge for kids under 2 (except port charges and taxes). So shop around for the best prices for 3rd passenger rates. Princess normally charges $299 or less for inside cabin for 3rd and 4th passengers for a 7-day cruise.

Is it easy to get a sitter? How about ease of getting sitter during the shows? What is the attitude of others in the dining area? :rolleyes:

Depending on the cruise. Some cruises offer in-cabin babysitting, some don't. So do some research ahead of time. My kids would never have taken to a stranger for babysitting, so we never considered it. DH and I took turns going to shows or participated in activities. But we also travelled with our parents, so they babysat for us once in a while. We enjoyed eating every meal with our kids (even when they were babies). It wouldn't be a family vacation if they didn't participate. Most of the time, except Disney cruises, kids under 3 cannot go to kid's club, so parents with kids under 3 do not have an option but having the kids with them at all times.

As for shows, most of the cruiselines will have repeat showings, so all of you can take turns going to shows. In-cabin babysitting is only available on some cruises and they cost $$, so find a cruise that offers in-cabin babysitting.

I've found that most diners do not get bothered by kids, but we don't share a table with them. Our family generally sits together. As soon as my kids start to act up or make too much noises, I take them out of the dining room ASAP. I understand my kids are paying customers too, but I don't want my kids to affect other cruisers' dining moods by hearing screaming or crying! So just be watchful and be considerate to other cruisers when you travel with young children. If all of us do that, we won't hear complaints from other cruisers about children. Personally, I think kids under 3 aren't the problems, but kids between 10 and 16 who roams the ship without adult supervision. But if you travel during school months, your baby will be one of the few cruising.

Also, I would recommend Princess ships because they have coin-operated washers and dryers on board. And we all know how important that is when we travel with small children. RCL do not have coin-operated washer and dryer, so my sister had to pack 7-day worths of baby's clothes (plus extra for accidents) for her 2 kids. She handwashed most of the stuff in the bathroom sink.

Another great point about Princess is that they will allow kids under 3 to go into the kids' club to play as long as the parent stays with the child. For other ships, such as NCL and RCL, they won't even let kids under 3 into the kids' club, even with adult supervision. Princess also provide baby food (Gerber's 2nd stage) if you request it.

Don't fret, if you can find a good price, take the 16M old with you.

I should consolidate my to-bring list:

1. dishwashing detergent and sponge

2. laundry detergent and spot/stain remover (I bring Oxiclean in ziplocs)

3. cheap kids' clothes hangers (from Target of kids R us). I just leave the hangers there when I leave the ship.

4. sunscreens and extra hat.

5. extra t-shirts (Hanes white underwear t-shirts) to wear over bathing suits. Under scorching sun, even with sunscreens, I felt better that the kids' shoulders are not so exposed, so I put a t-shirt over their bathing suits.

6. medication for kids: thermometer, baby tylenol, first aid (antibiotics and bandaid), something for bug bites. I also bring Triaminic cough/cold chewables and Children's chewable Benedryl. But my kids are older. You bring whatever it's appropriate for your child. The only other thing I can think of for young children is diarrhea, but regular hydration should be enough to fix the problem.

If you plan to send the dirty clothes to be washed during the cruise, can you bring your own laundry detergent? My son has eczema and psoriasis and very sensitive skin, so we can only use Ivory Snow to wash his clothes. I am afraid of using anything else as his skin is sensitive and this is not something that would be fun to deal with (or necessary) on a cruise. I planning to bring our own crib sheet on our cruise next summer (NCL uses a Graco Pack 'n' Play so this is not a problem for us) due to detergent issues.

Bonnie

My daughter has atopic dermatitis so she is sensitive to regular laundry detergent and chlorine bleach. So I have to pack extra flat sheets and towels and pillow case for her to use when we stay in hotels. Do whatever it takes to make your child comfortable. Going to cruises is no different than other forms of vacation. My daughter is OK with DREFT soap and Oxiclean (for stains), so I generally pack laundry detergent in ziploc bags. Mind you, only Princess has coin-operated washers and dryers. You need to look up each cruiseline to make sure self-service laundry is available. Since your child has skin problems, you can't use the ship's regular laundry service.

As another idea instead of ziploc bags for diapers - Sassy makes a little disposable bag dispenser and you can buy refills for it. I think there are 50 bags per roll. The bags are scented and you can get 2-3 diapers in a bag - just tie the top in a loose knot till you have filled it, then through it in the trash. The dispenser is small, easily fits in a diaper bag or has a hook that attaches to the strap of the diaper bag. (and, for those of you with dogs, this also works well). We use this all the time when staying at other's houses, while on the road, etc.

Babies R Us also has a small changing pad that tri-folds with two folds being the actual pad and the other fold has pockets for diapers, cream, and wipes, and this has a little strap on it. Fits in a diaper bag or can be carried separately.

Thanks very much to everyone - I have gotten some great ideas from reading this thread. Loved the blow up baby pool idea for the shower - was really trying to figure out how to give our son baths in the shower stall in those tiny bathrooms!!

Has anyone tried using a baby monitor on a cruise?? We don't have a balcony cabin, but the grandparents are cruising with us and have the cabin next door. Was hoping we could put him done for naps and at night in our cabin, then use the baby monitor from their cabin as we read, talk, play cards, watch TV, etc.

Several people have mentioned portable DVD players. Just curious as to whether you used headphones with those? Just wondering whether other passengers would like to listen to Elmo with dinner like I do every night. lol.

It is a good idea, I had thought of it for the plane ride with our son (who will be 2 1/2. But hadn't thought of it for dinner...

Several people have mentioned portable DVD players. Just curious as to whether you used headphones with those? Just wondering whether other passengers would like to listen to Elmo with dinner like I do every night. lol.

It is a good idea, I had thought of it for the plane ride with our son (who will be 2 1/2. But hadn't thought of it for dinner...

No headphones for us. But the noise levels in the dining rooms (of other diners) are quite high that my kids had to stand really close to the DVD player to watch the DVDs. The other 2 kids were sitting in the highchairs in front of the DVD player (we had 4 kids: 5YO, 3YO, 2.5YO, and 1YO--not all mine incidentally). Just don't turn the DVD player really loud. No one at the next table ever complained. We've only cruised on Princess. Also, if you are on a Princess ship, get a table by the window. There is ample carpet space between the window and the table that your child can play on the carpet, thus separating the child from the rest of the diners.

The DVD player is such a godsend during dinner time, especially after your children have eaten and you are still working on your main course. Remember to bring DVDs that they haven't seen or their favorite episodes, but play them only at dinner time.

As another idea instead of ziploc bags for diapers - Sassy makes a little disposable bag dispenser and you can buy refills for it. I think there are 50 bags per roll. The bags are scented and you can get 2-3 diapers in a bag - just tie the top in a loose knot till you have filled it, then through it in the trash. The dispenser is small, easily fits in a diaper bag or has a hook that attaches to the strap of the diaper bag. (and, for those of you with dogs, this also works well). We use this all the time when staying at other's houses, while on the road, etc.

If you have a Dollar Store near you, they have scented plastic bags (for dirty diapers) at 100cts/box ($1). Those are cheaper than ziplocs.

We've never used baby monitors on board. We always ended up have one adult in the room when a child is sleeping. There are great in-cabin movies available (at least on Princess ships) that I got caught up with the latest movies! My sister, on the other hand, just napped with the baby. She needed the sleep since the baby woke up a couple of times during the night (teething!).

BTW, walky talky never worked well on the ship.

• 2 months later...

Archived