Another Question-Blue Mountains

I'm looking for opinions for touring the Blue Mountains. We would just be doing a day trip from Sydney. Here's the options we are considering: take the train to Katoomba and ride the Explorer Bus, take the train to Katoomba and ride the Trolley, or rent a car and drive ourselves to Katoomba and visit the area on our own.

We are already planning to purchase the MyMulti 3 pass which includes the train to Katoomba. Our travel companions thought we would be better off driving ourselves around the area rather than rely on the bus or trolley. My concern with driving ourselves is traffic and parking at the different attraction in the area.

Have you ever used the Explorer Bus or Trolley? Was is a good experience?

Have you every driven the area on your own? Was it easy to navigate and find parking at the main attractions (such as the Three Sisters, Scenic World)?

How is the traffic in the Katoomba area?

What are some Pros and Cons for driving vs. using the bus/trolley?

Thanks for your input!

Teri

From Sydney City to Katoomba is around 100km (60miles). I've just had a look at Google maps and the Sydney City Rail website and the train trip takes about 2 hrs each way and the service is pretty regular and efficient. Google maps puts the road travelling time at about 1hr 45 mins and that time is possible providing you travel between the hours of midnight and 4:00am. In the immortal words of Darryl Kerrigan from The Castle:- "Tell him he's dreaming." Sydney and its suburbs' traffic is horrendous and I would reckon you would struggle to do the drive in under 2 and a half hours on a good day. It is not too bad after Penrith which is the halfway point but if you're travelling on the weekend the traffic gets worse in the mountains and Sunday arvos are a nightmare travelling back to Sydney. Having lived in the Penrith area for 30 years and travelling in both directions regularly I would take the train anytime. Pack a few nibbles, snacks and drinks to enjoy the scenery.

It very much depends on whether you are going there on a weekday or a weekend. Parking can be tricky at the various sights on weekends. Traffic won't be great at any time.

I'd recommend going by train, leaving fairly early. You can get off at either Katoomba or Leura depending on which order you decide to do your sightseeing.

The Explorer bus seems to have the best timetable. Both buses (the Trolley is just a bus rigged up to look like an old-fashioned trolley) go to all the main spots.

Allow an hour at Echo Point, if you want to walk around to the top of the Three Sisters. It's an easy walk.

Allow 2-3 hours at Katoomba Scenic World. Take the Scenic Railway down into the valley, walk around to Katoomba Falls (a fairly easy walk) then take the Scenic Cableway back up. Important that you do the Railway down - it's more spectacular that way. Also do the Scenic Skyway as this goes across the top of Katoomba Falls.

I'd also recommend an hour or two at Leura. It's a very pretty little shopping centre with some great cafes. A good lunch stop, or afternoon tea before getting the train back to Sydney.

The other advantage of the train is that you can just sit and relax, no worries about finding your way there and back, and no traffic hassles.

Another option is a bus tour. With this option your transport is locked in & you don't have to drive or find parking. It also allows the option to personalise your tour, like going to Featherdale Park enroute.

If being in a big bus with 50 others doesn't suit, you can take a small bus charter. If you like that option I can recommend someone.

Hello to you in Minnesota,

Mr Walker and OzKiwi have good advice. There seem to be many bus charters that come up here each day. Mostly they seem to be full of sleeping tourists! I will suggest though DON'T DRIVE! It is a lousy drive pretty much all the way. We still have road works of our "highway" with unpredictable and heavily policed speed limits. The train is the easiest way to do it and then whichever tourist bus suits your needs. It is lovely up here on a nice day with quite a bit to see. Hope this helps, any questions just ask me!

Steve.

I don't want to insult your intelligence, but please don't hire a car.

In OZ our cars have the steering wheel on the right hand side of the cabin and we drive on the left hand side of the road. If you are not used to it, driving can be a nightmare, especially going through roundabouts and also in heavy traffic.

Enjoy your holiday and take a tour bus or at least the train.

I get whimsical about the Blue Mtns. I trekked there many many moons ago when I was a boy scout. When you go to Echo Point you will see a "mountain" across the valley called Mt Solitary. I hiked over it from the Kings Tablelands, ...marvelous...but I suspect it has all changed now. I know they no longer have the original Mine trolley we rode in when we got back to Echo Point. (Sigh)

I will have to go back there some day...but in the meantime, please be my surrogate. :D

Edited by Flipper133

Thanks everyone! As always, you guys are so wonderful with your knowledge and advice. I was pretty sure that taking the train would be the best way to get there. We most likely will go there on the weekend as we arrive in Sydney on Thursday and the Ship leaves the next Tuesday. So it looks like the train is the best way to travel.

Flepper133 - LOL!!! I'm not insulted. I did realize that the steering wheel is on the right and that driving is on the opposite side of the road from what we do here in the US. That's why I was NOT in favor of hiring a car for our trip to the Blue Mountains. But, I want to get all the info possible before I discuss this with our companions.

I will have to compare the time tables for the Bus vs. Trolley and see what the differences are. I'm trying to figure out why the Explorer Bus is $40 and the Trolley is only $25.

Stand by for the next burning question!:D

Thanks again, Teri

The Explorer runs every half hour, the Trolley runs every hour. That's probably why the Explorer is more expensive - they offer a better service. Less waiting around, or even cutting your sightseeing short, to fit in with the timetable.

Check the weather forecast before you head up the mountains. If foggy you will not see a thing. From echo point in the fog you can't even tell you are standing on the edge of a cliff, let alone see the Three Sisters.

On one foggy occasion I saw a Japanese tourist in the Echo Point information centre taking a photo of a postcard! No doubt he thought that if it was on his camera roll he could prove he'd seen the attraction LOL

hands down the train! try to get an express it is a little faster. if you sit on the left going up sometimes you will see kangaroos hopping about. if the carriage is an old one and the seats are all facing forwards you can usually flip one so it becomes a party of four. two facing forwards, two going backwards but you can chat to each other on the way up. if anyone in your party has mobilty issues have them last of the train. for some reason the gaps between train and platform are big. so have the strongest out first to offer a hand if need be. i nearly lost my suitcase in the gap once. so now my trick is suitcase in door way, hop out turn, get suitcase. (i am only 5ft)

unsure what the two things you have mentioned as my brother lives there so i can be chauffeured :-)

there is a ticket called an all day around $20 that gets you on all buses,ferries and trains. only expection is the airport stop. (really expensive).

i went on a train from the mountains to sydney, train to circular quay, all day on the ferries for $20 bargain! i went to cockatoo island for first time instead of fish n chips, it was great fun lots of walking and need sun hat.

my family like to do this a day on the ferries on the above ticket

out to the fish and chip stop exclusive place have them on the beach sorry i cant remember the name of stop. (been a few years)hopefully a sydney person can help

back to circular

out to manly for afternoon 50c ice cream at mcdonalds

back to circular

over to darling harbour for a look see

walk to china town for dinner

back to accomodation

a long day but great fun!

if you google sydney trains it will come up with the website. here it has a trip planner and you can also see how much a ticket costs. please note only australian pensioners get discounts on sydney transport.

have fun :-)

Edited by snoopy19
missed a word