Most Port Intensive Cruise

Jane2357

We used to book a tour for EVERY day of a 2 week European cruise. We'd come home completely exhausted. Now, if we do a group excursion one day, the next day (in most cases) we'll walk around on our own. We pace ourselves and it works. We do not feel bad that we may have missed something, because we can go back someday. We just missed Alhambra, because we did an all day in Seville the day before. We just saw it on Rick Steves....we'll be there again next year, but I think we'll do Costa del Sol instead...since we saw it on TV! Sometimes walking around and experiencing how the locals live can be equally as rewarding, at least for us!

If you go to Costa del Sol, don't just see Malaga and Torremolinos, be sure to see/stay in (if possible) Marbella. Have a lovely dinner at Puerto Banus. Incredibly gorgeous.

We have taken a Med cruise and a Baltic one, both pretty port intensive. My advice is to choose a couple of ports that you can see without being on an organized tour. For Europe, check out Rick Steves' books (he now has one specifically for cruising Europe!) and/or podcasts. Since English is well understood in Europe, it should be easier than, say, Asia to do this. Grab your guidebook and map, and spend a more leisurely time visiting one or two sights, grab lunch, and head back to the ship. We never regret doing this.

Lisa

Edited by Zedjp3
punctuation

"Pacing yourself" is very good advice. We often watch folks run themselves ragged on Med/European cruises. For some this is OK, but others get to a point where they do not even have a great time, and can hardly remember where they were or what they have done. We just returned from a 2 month trip which included a 25 day cruise and a lengthy driving trip in France/Germany. If we had tried to see everything and do everything we probably would be buried in a French Cemetery.

Just remember, it is your cruise/vacation and you are the one who determines your own schedule. There is no rule that says you must always take long organized shore excursions. You can go off on your own, go to a beach, have a long lunch in a café, or even spend a day on the ship.

Hank

I agree...

I find that the temperature plays a big roll in my energy level. When planning a port intensive cruise late spring and early fall have lower, more comfortable temperatures. Crowds are another energy zapper for me and a time waster. I find that in May and again in Sepember and October the number of people on vacation and touring in Europe is less therefore the lines for museums, palaces and transportation are shorter as well.Also, when there are less people on the streets, in the town square and in front of that monument or bridge that DH just has to get a shot of things go much more smoothly for the two of us which in turn saves energy. :)

Edited by Karysa

On a port intensive cruise, it is important to pace yourself. Ideally pick some ports worth really checking (ideally, every other day) and just do a brief walk-about in those less important to you. Perhaps it is better to simply avoid too aggressively scheduled itineraries - do they really make sense?

My family and I are taking the NCL 14 night Med cruise this weekend. I'm hoping that we've picked a good itinerary that spreads things out enough for us...We have 5 sea days total. We start with 2 sea days, then do 3 port days, then a sea day, then 3 port days, then a sea day, then two port days, and then our final day, which is a sea day. Once we disembark, we're spending a week on a land tour. Hope we survive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mediterranean itineraries include lots of WALKING so those are exhausting & napping is vital.

It's my personal opinion that Caribbean 7 nighters from San Juan that have 5 days of ports is too much!

I like when there are 2-3 days of ports, then a sea day to rest (& sleep IN!) Then ports again. You sometimes see this on 10-12 nighters. Then I also like when you have 1-2 sea days on the tail end, to relax some more, do some shopping & hit the spa the last days before you have to go home.

Edited by Pack My Bags
typo

• 6 months later...