Laundry powder capsules

If one is starting their cruise in Sydney and / or Auckland there are supermarkets close to the wharf where one can purchase necessities like toiletries, laundry materials, soft drinks etc so there is not really any need to bring any of that stuff with you if coming from afar.

There is a Coles Central off George Street, reasonable size. Or if you just want a convenience store we always use (because we stay near there) the Ezy Mart on the corner of Harrington and Argyle Streets in the Rocks. It is literally within cooee of circular quay, it is a reasonable size for a convenience store.

Of course someone from Sydney may know even better places.

:confused: This thread seems to have taken a wrong turn somewhere :eek:

What has the location of supermarkets in the Sydney CBD (last three posts) got to do with the convenient packaging of laundry detergents for travel? (OP) :confused:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

What has the location of supermarkets in the Sydney CBD (last three posts) got to do with the convenient packaging of laundry detergents for travel? (OP) :confused:

Telling others where to get them is a good thing, especially at port. :D

The Purex sheets are almost impossible to find in the US. They had a problem getting stuck in the washing machine drain, causing flooding. When I use them I'll put it into a lingerie bag.

I have a supply and use them only when traveling.

The pods are having issues with toddlers eating them!:eek::(

From the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303618904579167980730406864

Edited by SadieN

Many are concerned about the need to pack items from home that may be able to be purchased locally. The point of the supermarket advice is "Why bother bringing routine items from home and take up valuable luggage space when these items or something similar can be purchased locally at ones destination. Just trying to be helpful and offer alternatives. Threads often expand as they grow legs. Hope that clears up any confusion

Telling others where to get them is a good thing, especially at port. :D

Except that two of the four items that have been discussed are only available in the US, and one of those is extremely hard to find but is available through Amazon (but can't be delivered to Australia).

The other two products are available in Australia. One is available in larger supermarkets but may not be stocked in smaller city stores, the other product may only be available online.

Giving advice that may not be accurate isn't actually helpful at all. There are many people who prefer to use specific products, whether it be laundry powder, shampoo, soft drinks etc. I have learnt, from many years of travel, to pack any brand-specific items that I need during my travels. Even when travelling within Australia I can't always rely on supermarkets, particularly the smaller ones, having the brands I want. And different countries have completely different products. There are some Australian brands that aren't available in NZ, let alone in Europe, or Asia, or the US.

Except that two of the four items that have been discussed are only available in the US, and one of those is extremely hard to find but is available through Amazon (but can't be delivered to Australia).

The other two products are available in Australia. One is available in larger supermarkets but may not be stocked in smaller city stores, the other product may only be available online.

Giving advice that may not be accurate isn't actually helpful at all. There are many people who prefer to use specific products, whether it be laundry powder, shampoo, soft drinks etc. I have learnt, from many years of travel, to pack any brand-specific items that I need during my travels. Even when travelling within Australia I can't always rely on supermarkets, particularly the smaller ones, having the brands I want. And different countries have completely different products. There are some Australian brands that aren't available in NZ, let alone in Europe, or Asia, or the US.

Each will make their own call , all we are offering is an alternative. If one wants to take it up Cool, if not cool.

We use the sheets. Just back from 26 day cruise and one sheet worked well in ship's washing machines. They keep well if sealed as we have had the same packet for more than 12 months. Bought in Woolworths.

We use the sheets. Just back from 26 day cruise and one sheet worked well in ship's washing machines. They keep well if sealed as we have had the same packet for more than 12 months. Bought in Woolworths.

Was that the Dizolve ones?

I haven't seen them anywhere and it looks like they aren't available online anymore :(

I have just found some Dizolve sheets at the local "Reject shop" here in Canberra, and I haven't seen them in Woolworths for along time.They work very well...If you like the Lavender smell that is as thats all they come in..

Hope this helps...

Karen

I have only ever used a zip lock bag with the same detergent i use at home. why complicate things?

Because it's messy carrying loose laundry powder even when sealed in a zip lock bag (or two).

Capsules or sheets are less messy for travel.

Not quite true. I have carried laundry powder like that. Zip lock bags aren't infallible. One burst! Luckily, and because I don't trust zip locks, I had it inside a second bag so the mess was contained.

My favourite brand is now available in capsules, already packed for me, so why not take advantage of that? Naturally I will put the capsules in a zip lock bag (or two).

However having read on CC how convenient the laundry sheets are, I'm curious to try them. They are less bulky and sometimes when travelling every little bit of space counts.

Zip lock bags wont burst open unless you fail to remove the air before sealing. Once again, a 6 year old is capable of achieving this. You only put enough in the bag for one wash. 3 bags can then be put into another bag if your not capable of removing the air from them.

Seas dog and sea hag - Sure a 6 year old can manage washing powder but when my friend and I were travelling in the USA she had put a small container of washing powder in her carry on for washing and we were pulled aside and all her luggage searched as if she was a criminal. That is enough reason for me not to take white washing powder. I will also be checking out the reject shop, thanks heaps for the tip. I usually just use the shampoo provided in the bathroom when hand washing but those sheets sound ideal.

Edited by Tara Jane

Thanks, Karen. I'll have to check out the Reject Shops near where I live to see whether they have it.

How strong is the Lavender fragrance?

Do these sheets have to be used in a machine or could you basically rip one in half and use in a bathroom sink? I gather they disolve easily? Just thinking about doing some handwashing.

Definitely available in reject shop here - sign says they had been out of stock but available again so worth to keep looking.

thanks.

Thanks, Karen. I'll have to check out the Reject Shops near where I live to see whether they have it.

How strong is the Lavender fragrance?

No problems with the smell , the clothes don't smell when they are washed and they do pull apart into two, so found them easy to use for hand washing too.. Hope I have helped some people!!!!;)

Many people including us have to fly to get to the cruise ship. If it was easy to get to our ship we wouldn't be so worried about travelling light and therefore need these things. We usually do a little shop before boarding so the information provided here is great. not useful for you but certainly useful for people like us.

Yes she was 60 years plus but I guess there are drug courier grannies out there, occasionally we read about them.

I always have a wee chuckle when I am packing my dodgy looking white powder into my suitcase before flying to my cruise. I guess it wouldn't be so funny to be pulled up and searched but it will be pretty obvious what it is when they look.

I still think the pods sound like a great idea I hate fiddling around with powder it's harder to measure out the right amount out of a zip lock.

Do the pods have a shelf life or will they last years? I'm thinking Amazon 77 pack and I can just use them for cruising.

I tried to buy them from Amazon a few weeks ago and got a "not available for delivery to Australia" message :(.

Amazon may be clamping down on products that it sells outside of the US.

How long ago did you buy yours?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ