Laundry powder capsules

Zip lock bags wont burst open unless you fail to remove the air before sealing. Once again, a 6 year old is capable of achieving this. You only put enough in the bag for one wash. 3 bags can then be put into another bag if your not capable of removing the air from them.

I am quite capable of removing the air from zip lock bags. I've been using them for a myriad of things for more years than I can remember. In fact my DH calls me the zip lock bag queen LOL.

I suspect that bag was faulty, I think it actually split along a edge seam. Also it wasn't the brand of zip locks bags that I regularly use.

As others have also mentioned on this thread, self-packaged powders can be regarded as suspicious by customs officials. A prepackaged item, like the Radiant laundry powder or the laundry sheets, is less likely to be questioned.

Do the pods have a shelf life or will they last years? I'm thinking Amazon 77 pack and I can just use them for cruising.

The Radiant pods have a wrapping that feels like plastic but is probably some form of dissoveable compound. They come in packs of 20, in a heavy plastic zip lock bag. They do feel a bit powdery on the outside, so I would pack them carefully for travelling.

I'm not sure what their shelf life would be but I assume they would last a fairly long time.

They are quite small and compact. Here's a picture of one.

RadiantCapsules_zpsabf702d3.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Our upcoming cruise leaves from Auckland so we intend to go to the supermarkert prior to boarding and failing that in Tauranga the next day and purchase such necessities. My advice from she who must be obeyed is that a bottle of liquid detergent which is measured using the cap of the bottle is the way to go, but please don't shoot this messenger I have to live with the oracle.

Our upcoming cruise leaves from Auckland so we intend to go to the supermarkert prior to boarding and failing that in Tauranga the next day and purchase such necessities. My advice from she who must be obeyed is that a bottle of liquid detergent which is measured using the cap of the bottle is the way to go, but please don't shoot this messenger I have to live with the oracle.

That's another good option but bulky. Smallest size (Earthwise) is 750ml, most are 1 litre according to the Countdown online website.

While I was looking there I noticed Persil is available in pods now. You might suggest to the "Oracle" that she try them before you cruise. ;)

There are a couple of small supermarkets in the downtown area of Auckland as I recall, and there is a big New World on the other side of Victoria Park, where the road heads up to Ponsonby.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

That's another good option but bulky. Smallest size (Earthwise) is 750ml, most are 1 litre according to the Countdown online website.

While I was looking there I noticed Persil is available in pods now. You might suggest to the "Oracle" that she try them before you cruise. ;)

There are a couple of small supermarkets in the downtown area of Auckland as I recall, and there is a big New World on the other side of Victoria Park, where the road heads up to Ponsonby.

Checked out Countdown earlier tonight. The Persil pods are $NZ17 for 20. Cheapest liquid detergent is $NZ5 for 2 litres. Many are around $NZ5 for a litre. We have some of the pods hanging around here sop I have found out and one pod will a full load of washing. Seems a bit of overkill for a few smalls.

In the end I will do as I am instructed

Yeah, those sorts of things aren't cheap which is why I wouldn't use them for day-to-day laundry, but they are convenient for travel, although the laundry sheets are probably the most convenient - if you can find them.

The Aussie pods are $12.89 for 20.

Yeah, those sorts of things aren't cheap which is why I wouldn't use them for day-to-day laundry, but they are convenient for travel, although the laundry sheets are probably the most convenient - if you can find them.

The Aussie pods are $12.89 for 20.

With currency conversion the prices are near as damn the same. I understand that Katmandhu the outdoor clothing people make a range of washing sheets suitable for travellers. I will pop into my local store tomorrow and see if they meet the requirements

I think those small ones in the containers are only suitable for handwashing a couple of small items. I doubt they would work in a washing machine.

I had a look at the Kathmandu website but couldn't see anything like that.

I have seen stuff in other travel stores, but only like the Chinese ones.

I think those small ones in the containers are only suitable for handwashing a couple of small items. I doubt they would work in a washing machine.

I had a look at the Kathmandu website but couldn't see anything like that.

I have seen stuff in other travel stores, but only like the Chinese ones.

Are these not the "Travel Sheets" that others are discussing on this thread. We don't have washing machines on Celebrity ships and have to do smalls by hand in the sink hence they may be ideal. I have also found some "laundry soap sheets" at another NZ outdoor store which I will also check over the next few days. Apart from the Persil pods and Radiant pods I don't think any of the "sheets" are designed for machine use.

No. The ones discussed earlier are ones that you put in a washing machine. The Purell ones, that Amazon sell in the US, are probably a similar size to the anti-static sheet you'd put in a dryer.

The Purell ones are three-in-one - detergent, fabric softener and dryer anti-static. You move them across to the dryer with your washing.

Some cruise lines, like Princess, have self service laundries which is why I've been looking for suitable products.

I used to take the Korjo brand of liquid travel detergent with me on trips for hand washing. Their bottles never leaked. Last big trip I couldn't find any Korjo so bought another brand. It leaked during the flight over. Luckily I'd put it in a zip lock bag (with the air removed). ;)

Sod Amazon! :mad: DH bought some trousers from Amazon last month and I tried to buy the Purex sheets with that order but got the "Does not ship" message. Now they make them available. :confused:

Hmmm, wonder if DH wants any more trousers. Otherwise shipping costs will make them too expensive.

Thanks, Silverwillow.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

DH did want some more trousers so I've ordered the Purex sheets as well *happy dance*.

Thanks again, Silverwillow. :)

So glad that you have been able to order. The sheets work well in the Princess washing machines and dryers. :)

Same here, cleaned out the reject shop in Officer Vic of all they had - 7 pkts supplying other travelling friends. Thanks so much to the person who suggested the reject shop. I emailed the manufacturer last night and received a reply today saying they are no longer available.

Anyone wanting them phone around as I had to phone quite a few stores to find any that had them in stock. The old saying let your fingers do the walking

Same here, cleaned out the reject shop in Officer Vic of all they had - 7 pkts supplying other travelling friends. Thanks so much to the person who suggested the reject shop. I emailed the manufacturer last night and received a reply today saying they are no longer available.

Anyone wanting them phone around as I had to phone quite a few stores to find any that had them in stock. The old saying let your fingers do the walking

Glad I was able to help..

Might go back and the get the extra ones I left behind in my Reject shop.

Karen:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

My Purex laundry sheets arrived from Amazon today. They are a bit bigger than I expected but still should be very handy for travel. Most of the sheet is whiteish detergent and there is a similar coloured strip near the top which is the fabric softener, and a green strip at the very top which is the anti-static for the dryer. Will try one in a few days. :)

Do you think you could cut one in four to do hand washing in the sink on the ship?

You probably could. You have to cut strips off them, athough the fabric softener and anti-static strips wouldn't be needed for hand washing.

If you only do hand washing I think there are some smaller soap sheets that might be better. These were discussed a few posts back.