Do You Wear a Slip?

This discussion reminds me of how old-fashioned slips may be these days. Recently I asked a young clerk at Macy's if they had any petticoats and she did not know what a petticoat is!

An older clerk came over and showed me where the petticoats were. I think they had about five. I guess they don't get much demand for them anymore. Macy's did have a very large selction oF Jockey Skimmies and of Spanx however.

I can't imagine what one would wear a petticoat with these days. The last time I recall them being fashionable was in the late 70's with the cotton/eyelet "GunneSax" period and maybe the mid-80's for the Madonna Boy Toy more crinoline style.

This discussion reminds me of how old-fashioned slips may be these days. Recently I asked a young clerk at Macy's if they had any petticoats and she did not know what a petticoat is!

An older clerk came over and showed me where the petticoats were. I think they had about five. I guess they don't get much demand for them anymore. Macy's did have a very large selction oF Jockey Skimmies and of Spanx however.

By "petticoat" did you mean a slip? If you meant the Laura Ingalls Wilder tiered white eyelet elastic waist number I think of when I hear the word "petticoat" I am not surprised she did not know what it was! If you meant a half slip (or full slip) she might have known what those were by those names... Macy's (or maybe Kohl's?) is the last place I bought a slip.

My grand-daughter is 14 and very conservative in her dress style. I happened to be there when she was dressing for her first fancy school dance and her dress was a little above knee length. She asked me if she should wear shorts under it. I said not unless she was planning on doing cart-wheels.

It's interesting that many people think that slips are for old ladies. I don't get that.

Are you opposed to dresses with built in linings? For me, that's all a slip is. I wear it with a dress or skirt that could do better with an extra layer. It's not a modesty thing. It's that it makes me feel physically more comfortable (since slips are usually a comfy fabric). And, above all, I wear a slip if it makes the dress look better!

It seems to me that today most dresses that really need a slip--very thin or see-through fabric--have one built in. I call it a lining though--same concept.

I'm not opposed to wearing a slip if it's really needed, but the extra layer and potential bunching isn't something I like.

My young teen granddaughters, when I asked them, re this post, did not know what a slip was, let alone a petticoat! When I was their age it was a girdle or a garter belt, slip (full length) and nylons with seams. And remember can-cans--talk about torture.

I would not want to go back to those days.

I'm another who wears slips. Cotton in the summer. Ever tried to find cotton slips rather than nylon? vermontcountrystore.com. Not a stylish site, but loaded with old-fashioned things that are a hoot. Including cotton slips.

Under my little black dress, I love my full lacy silk slip from Wintersilks.com. I feel Sooooo slinky. And should you ever be going somewhere cold, Wintersilks has delicious silk long johns that just glide under tight pants and tops and add a lovely layer of warmth.

Thank you for mentioning the vermont country store!

I'm 21 years old, and I wear slips! They aren't the terrible, ugly, uncomfortable slips my mother used to try to make me wear as a kid, but they are sleek Victoria's Secret slips. I try to buy dresses that aren't see- through, but sometimes can't resist knowing that a slip will solve the problem. I also like wearing slips to cut back on clinging. But, most of all, I feel sexy in my slips and my husband LOVES them!

Check out some of these :)

https://www.victoriassecret.com/sleepwear/babydolls-and-slips