NY-->Bermuda 7/27-8/3 ....need to worry about weather?

dorito6778

I think you picked a good week. Although it is possible for a hurricaine to be in the area I feel late July is still fairly safe

As a cruiser who has been caught up in a storm that extended our cruise by 4 days as we were trapped in the beautiful sunny radiant Gulf awaiting the storm to pass so we could return back to port all I can say is:

Bring extra underware. Lol

Oh and of course depending on you personal situation and if you are flying etc. do get travel insurance and do be prepared for itin changes

In your case that could mean Canada so check the forecast before you leave and plan accordingly

In our case all port changes were sunny and warm but I have done the Canada cruise and while we had 90 degree days others have not. So bring a sweat shirt and leggings.

If you are from the NYC area you will probably already know the forecast

The worst that could happen is that your trip is cut short especially if a storm causes havoc with the cruise before yours

However I still say you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

My DH and I traveled to Bermuda last year on the Dawn on July 27th thru August 3rd with 14 family members for our 50th Anniversary. We had wonderful weather. We have gone to Bermuda several times and this sailing was the smoothest we ever had. I even took a picture of the waveless water on our return sail. I had never seen it so smooth on any of our previous trips. Of course, Mother Nature is a very independent woman and she pretty much does what she wants. Remember, the captain is not going to put his ship in harms way for any reason. Enjoy your trip. We are headed back to Bermuda on September 6th on the Explorer of the Seas.

its the start of the Atlantic hurricane season. we've never cruised in the summer, ever. we're winter cruisers so this is uncharted territory. thoughts?

My thoughts are that it is the hurricane season. There has already been one up the east coast. No one can tell you whether or not there will be more, or when, or what it's location might be, or whether or not it may affect Bermuda or possibly your departure or embarkation city with weather related delays. Anything can happen. We have cruised several times in hurricane season. Never had a cruise cancelled, but it is possible. Or had any problem getting to the ship, but some do. A few times we have missed ports due to skirting the storm. Never had a complete change of itinerary, but it is possible. Never had really bad seas, but some do.

One thing I do know. It is summer. I can guarantee it will be hot, very hot and humid in Bermuda. And on the pool deck. We loved Bermuda. Just make sure you have insurance and enjoy your cruise.

Just go with the flow and an open mind - it is hurricane season so just be prepared that plans can always change. Our Bermuda cruise 2 years ago during hurricane season was diverted. We didn't get to Bermuda but still enjoyed a trip to the Bahamas instead. Its very unlikely that a cruise during the season is cancelled it just may not go where you intended it to go if there happens to be a hurricane or tropical storm.

We don't sail during the peak summer season but have done a few from September onward thru November over the years, out of NYC, which is still hurricane season. We had 4 Bermuda "runs" - 2 of which were in May and 2 "roller coaster" ones with not so friendly seas - still cruising, LOL with well conditioned sea legs.

Go with the flow, watch the weather forecast 5 to 10 days out for NYC and BDA, there are live webcams - check the projection for ocean waves & of course, storm tracking. We are getting a "heads up" for early next week, likely Tuesday, of a potential for damaging t-storms & wind/rain, not a coastal storm or hurricane but coming thru from the midwest. Weather Channel explained the factors for this early July's "cool" temps due to the polar vortex like this past winter ... not complaining at all, I loved it when paying our HVAC bill.

What happens if and when a coastal/Nor-easter or rare Atlantic hurricane come up and/or threaten the NE, we stay put, shelter in place & have indoor plans - living on higher grounds meant that we don't need to evacuate or relocate. In fact, with voluntary first responder duties & training, we're activated & mobilize for deployment and to report to our nearest staging area during Hurricane Sandy, which lasted briefly - that's waht preparedness is all about. Same with cruising on a mega ship like the BA, you plan & trust and rely on the expertise of the Norweign ship captain, officers & crews to do their job and stay out of harm's way - and, that could meant a different port and/or change in itinerary, etc.

There's much to do INSIDE the Breakaway even if everything outdoor is closed & shut down for safety reasons and the Waterfront is off limit for everyone's safety, or, that it's impossible to sit out in the big & small balconies and suites. It's not about running for cover when it rain but rather finding a way to dance while it's wet - just watch out lightning.

In the old days, pack a few paperback books & off we'll go, now - it's easy to preload the eBook reader, refresh the iPads or tablets and create one's own vacation onboard. These ships are basically mini self-sufficient cities on the move, relax & enjoy the week's ride. (Never hurt to pack some motion Rx although they do give them free at the reception desk)

Of course you need to worry, your cruising during Hurricane season:D. Chances are you'll be fine. We sailed the BA last September, 5 days out the weather looked perfect for Bermuda. Then a named storm, forget which one decided to hang around in the Atlantic. The sea days going over were not bad but then I realized we were going off course. The Captain made an announcement we would be about a day late. The C made a bunch of zig zags avoiding the worst of it. On Tuesday night Bermuda got slammed pretty good, Dawn didn't leave until Wednesday. We arrived at 7pm instead of 8am. Nothing much you can do.

With all that said the weather people don't seem to know much. We cruised on the Dawn last November, 2 days before we leave they are calling for thunderstorms and heavy rain all week at every port, Roatan, Belize etc.... It turned out to be perfect everyday. Sunny and 85F.....:rolleyes:

Edited by Laszlo