What underarm deodorant/anti-perspirant do you recommend?

DonnaK

I use Nivea deodorants -- mostly roll-ons but also the spray version. It's available at every supermarket/chemist's shop, and it does not leave nasty white stains on clothes or my skin. The very pleasant and subtle fragrance is a bonus since it doesn't compete with my body lotion.

Certain-Dri. This is some powerful stuff. It stings slightly when applied and is recommended to apply at night. Really can go 2 days between applications. I am a heavy sweater and it seems like everything else pales in comparison. I am in the prosthetic industry and we recommend this for our patients to minimize moisture under their prostheses.

I like Arm and Hammer also, and Arrid XX is an acceptable standby. All unscented.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Certain-Dri is incredible! You seriously Will. Not. Sweat. It seriously has changed my life (got made fun of for pit stains once in 7th grade gym, scarred me for life!). I find that if I have just shaved it can sting a bit, so I usually skip it on those days. I probably use it every-other day, and it works great. You put it on at night before you go to bed. They have a solid and a roll on, and I've found that the solid doesn't sting the way the roll on does, too, so that's an option!

Excellent product.

My DH used it and with other products, he used to sweat but not with this.

The problem with antiperspirants is that they clog up your pores (basically with a glue-like chemical). This causes an increase in bacteria buildup, which can lead to odor.

It's best to use a deodorant only (without an antiperspirant) and shower frequently. This will keep your skin clog-free and clean so bacteria and odor doesn't build up. A quick dip in the pool or ocean will keep you cool during the day.

• 2 months later...

I've tried them all! In the winter I can get away with a regular deodrant but usually stick with a clinical strength, either Degree or Secret. In the summer I also us Certain Dri at night and find it helps tremendously. I use my normal clinical stuff for day time. I can only use the roll on Certain Dri though because the stick stuff gives me a rash. I wouldn't say I'm overly sensitive either.

Where I live it is very hot and humid, I don't sweat much and overheat easily, so I never wear an antiperspirant. It also doesn't make sense for me to block the thing that is allowing toxins to leave my body. With that being said, I don't like the idea of walking around with a noticeable odor. So deodorant it is.

I don't know if we are able to post links here or not, but there is an article on webmd about the safety of antiperspirants that is worth reading if it is something you fear.

And do any of these deodorants mentioned (aside from the dove) come in a small travel size?

I keep trying different types of natural deo. Unfortunately, I started getting eczema under arms. On non work days, I use aveeno eczema lotion as a deodorant. Strange enough, it works. Work days, I have to use antiperspirant, no matter what. I work in a very warm spa and provide lots of treatments and am close to clients all day, so can't take a chance on stinkiness. I was using ban unscented but as usual, it stopped working and also made me itch. My latest try is dove spray. I was surprised they came out with a spray but it's new so I figure why not. It's ok but unfortunately it has scent, which always ends up smelling a little on me. But it's better than nothing. At least no itch. On upcoming cruise, I might try an anti itch powder, has to be better than the aluminum in anti perspirants. Has anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Morisnfan