Never again with Norwegian Cruises( The Jade)

penders

As I said, food is always subjective, but I certainly didn't get frozen chips in Cagneys......I would have gladly gone back there just for the cone of fries alone.....one of our group DID!! :) Sorry to hear your experience of the Jade's food and sevice was not so good.

I have to say, I have never cruised the Jade, but knowing the food is similar on all NCL ships, I find it hard to believe any of it is really awful. I love good food, love to cook gourmet and am used to eating at all kinds of dining establishments, from mom and pop joints in small towns to top of the line in NYC, and Las Vegas, so I know a little about food. Like you say, food is subjective, and also like you, we have been pleased with Cagney's as well as most of the NCL food. Not all of it is top notch, I understand, but for anyone to report the food was inedible I would have to wonder what they expected? Food on all ships is edible.

ellie: we have been on about the same number of cruises as you, over a period of about 30 years and we least satisfied with RCI and Princess. Our first Princess cruise the food in the MDR as well as Sabatini's (spelling) was very good, the last 2 had gone really down hill, especially our New England/Canada cruise a couple of years ago. You talk about frozen potatoes, how would you like frozen Lobster. And it wasn't just me, we talked to 3 other couples that got frozen Lobster, all on different nights. So, yes, food is subjective and just because any one of us has a good or bad experience doesn't mean our opinions are necessarily right, experienced cruiser or not.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I have to say, I have never cruised the Jade, but knowing the food is similar on all NCL ships, I find it hard to believe any of it is really awful. I love good food, love to cook gourmet and am used to eating at all kinds of dining establishments, from mom and pop joints in small towns to top of the line in NYC, and Las Vegas, so I know a little about food. Like you say, food is subjective, and also like you, we have been pleased with Cagney's as well as most of the NCL food. Not all of it is top notch, I understand, but for anyone to report it was awful makes me wonder what they expected.

As I said earlier, the comments about the food in the original review stated that the menu never changed, and the OP has since confirmed that was the case.

If that is true, then it seems that there was some problem with the food on the Jade, as we all know that this isn't usually the case. I would have been very disappointed if I had a never changing MDR menu for a whole week.

Later reports have confirmed that the menus are changing now, so this problem seems to have been resolved.

No need to put "in my opinion" in your review. Any 10 year old would understand it is your opinion. Some people are personally insulted when a posting has negative comments about "their favorite cruiseline". Thanks for the honest review. I don't think I will be sailing on that ship anytime soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Most of us are level headed enough to know everyone has a different opinion and most realize every line regardless of how we may or may not like it had positives and negatives. It is the "I will never again" that will often set people off or the full of negative. For most of us any review, too gushy or too yuck will not convince anyone of anything. When one sees the word awful or inedible for food or the cabins were in need of total upgrading, etc. yes, loyalist and level minded people will take offence. You are calling the review honest and you will not be sailing on it soon, probably never, and yet you are forming your opinion on one review, not on the overall picture most have painted here.

I doubt anyone was personally insulted by ones review; but I would hope not many would take the view you did and decide not to cruise the ship because of what the OP wrote.

I have a question.

I note this from your review:

"The menus did not change, from one day to the next."

Is that actually the case? I ask because this isn't the first time I have read this written about the Jade. On every NCL cruise I have been on, about half of the menu changes every day. Is there really just one ship that serves exactly the same food every day? I'm interested because I'm sailing on the Jade in a few weeks.

I was on the Jade last year (10-night Eastern Mediterranean) and the menu in the dining room certainly did change every night. Typically there would be at least 2 entrees, an appetizer and a dessert with a local flavor, depending on which port the ship had just stopped in.

I was on the Jade last year (10-night Eastern Mediterranean) and the menu in the dining room certainly did change every night. Typically there would be at least 2 entrees, an appetizer and a dessert with a local flavor, depending on which port the ship had just stopped in.

Yes, any problem that there may have been seems to have only been for a short while. Certainly wasn't the case last year.