Never again with Norwegian Cruises( The Jade)

penders

We sailed on Jade last August and thought the food was awful, too, we walked out of the main dining room twice as the food was inedible, and the service very mediocre. Despite the dining room being empty most of the time, so they certainly weren't overworked, they lacked basic training, were very unfriendly and spent most of their time trying not to serve you.

Yes, we could have paid extra to eat in the specialty restaurants but then we would have been paying as much as we would have done on Celebrity or Princess, for an older and scruffier ship. In fact we sailed on Princess the previous year for half what we paid on Jade. We did eat in Cagney's on my birthday, and although the food was much better they still produced frozen chips (fries) with the steak!

But despite the food we had a great cruise, we made the best of it and there were lots of things we loved - the entertainment was first class, and better than anything we had experienced on Princess, Celebrity or Royal, except on Allure and Oasis. The ports were fantastic and we loved the Great Outdoors cafe at the back of the ship, which was an amazing place to watch sailaways, and beautiful in the evening. The cabin was rather dated but large and with an excellent bathroom so that was not an issue. Despite being well worn and a bit tacky (dusty, old plastic flowers and plastic birds in the entrance to the dining room as an example) we liked the ship. Would we go back on Jade? Only if the ports were as good. And if we could get a good price on a cabin. Would we risk another NCL ship? Well maybe one of the larger newer ones.

With the thousands of meals prepared everyday on every ship in every cruise line, I challenge you to find some poor shmuck out there peeling potatoes per order for fries.

Do you have any concept of the amount of work that goes into preparing those meals in a timely manor so that pax like yourself don't have to wait for their meal?

Of course they're frozen ! ! ! You don't honestly believe that there is a personal chef in the galley for each passenger waiting patiently for the next order to leisurely arrive for them to prepare ?

On your next cruise, go on a behind the scenes tour of the kitchen facilities and ask that same question, but be prepared to wait for an answer. It will take a while for the staff to pick themselves off the floor from laughing hysterically at your question.

Your observation interested me so I wanted to look into it for myself. My findings tend to support your conclusions, for the most part.

I did a quick internet search to get a feel for the price differences among 4 lines: NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean. Chose March 2015, Caribbean cruises of all lengths. On my favorite online cruise fare source the cheapest balcony and suite prices (per person per night) were advertised as being in the following ranges:

_______________NCL_______Celebrity______Princess_____ _Royal

Balcony -------$95-164 ----$119-192-----$149-185-----$109-214

Suite ----------$116-185 ---$229-371 ----$185-236 ----$141-350

The prices you show for an NCL suite are NOT full suites. They are mini-suites, which are basically a deluxe balcony. No perks at all. You also have to factor in a haven suite versus a non-haven suite. There is a substantial price difference. Your numbers are very wrong.

We sailed on Jade last August and thought the food was awful, too, we walked out of the main dining room twice as the food was inedible, and the service very mediocre.

I thought this line so funny. Inedible? Wow. That is a strong word. I wonder what you eat at home? However, walking out of the MDR twice is a pearler. Did the staff not see you walk out the first time, so you went back and walked out again !!?

The prices you show for an NCL suite are NOT full suites. They are mini-suites, which are basically a deluxe balcony. No perks at all. You also have to factor in a haven suite versus a non-haven suite. There is a substantial price difference. Your numbers are very wrong.

Chill dude..........

The difference between balconies and suites seems very little, can the price be for minisuites? We pay around $400 per person per night for our suite on the Breakaway in February.

I am paying around $200 a night for all 3 of us in an inside inclusive of tax. Port charge and tips.

Can't get enough if travel in my family and always do cruises on the cheap

That way the European and Hawaiian airfares are doable

So are the private shore excursions

As well as the extended pre and post Europe cruise cities.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question.

I note this from your review:

"The menus did not change, from one day to the next."

Is that actually the case? I ask because this isn't the first time I have read this written about the Jade. On every NCL cruise I have been on, about half of the menu changes every day. Is there really just one ship that serves exactly the same food every day? I'm interested because I'm sailing on the Jade in a few weeks.

Just as a follow up to this, someone else who has just returned from the Jade has confirmed on another thread that the menus did change. From their description, it sounds to me like the old menus with the always available selections on one side and daily specials on the other. This is as I expected.

Shows that all reviews do need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The following comments do not refer at all to the new ships because they are different in a number of relevant ways.

We have been on the Jade several times over the past few years. We have also been on a couple of Cunard ships (QM2 and Queen Victoria), and our first cruises were on the Thomson Spirit, so we have been on a very wide variety, albeit not all of those mentioned mid-range ones in this set of posts.

The Spirit was OK, but I would suggest that the combination of age and money spent, it cannot even come close to competing with either Jade or QM2/Queen Victoria when it comes to decor and wear and tear. But then it is way cheaper, so very much a case of getting what you paid for.

When comparing decor on Jade with two Cunard ships, they are as different as chalk and cheese. Cunard go for a very high spec old fashioned look that is designed for the US market as well as a older clients who want to re-live the days of the old trans-Atlantic look. Personally, although I am now the wrong side of 70, this style is way too plain and boring for me. I like good quality wood, but like carpets, I don't like it on all of the walls as well as the furniture!

The Jade is what it is, a brash design that was designed for the Pacific Islands feel. I have no problems with that for a holiday home. I have been to Blackpool in my youth enough to know how to enjoy OTT decor on holiday. If I wanted quiet surroundings, I might as well stay at home and rock in our chairs in the conservatory and pretend to be at sea. NCL do not try to hide the south seas heritage and style of the Jade, and there have certainly been enough comments about it on here for nobody to be under any illusions about it before booking. And what is the difference between bright plastic birds and bronze statues as long as they fit in with the whole style?

As far as food goes, the comparison is difficult because we have always sailed on NCL in a suite. The main difference between Jade and the Cunard ships is that in Jade, you eat main meals with everyone, whereas the Grills on Cunard are truly a ship within a ship for all food. The food in the Grills on Cunard is special. It always looks and tastes like it has been prepared just for you. The only problem with it is that in common with all nouveaux cuisine derivatives, the portion sizes are certainly not going to add much weight to your girth! Nice if that is what you enjoy.

On the Jade (and the other Jewel Class NCL ships) the food is mid-range. The buffet is varied but lacking in finesse, although the freshly cooked after dinner crepes are as good as any I have had anywhere. As to the two main restaurants, there are two sides to the menu, as has been said several times, there is one that does not change with a reasonable range of standard offerings and another that changes both daily and with the ports visited. There is usually a regional speciality plus a fairly wide selection of different dishes with some seafood, some meat a small selection of veggie dishes. Where there might be a bit of confusion is in the suites, breakfast and lunch can be taken in Cagney’s. The menus here do not change at all for breakfast and lunch and they can get a little boring on a long cruise. Having said that, the lunch sweet of fresh berries is something I never got tired of.

The menus are available to view at the door prior to going into each of the two main restaurants and in the main atrium before every mealtime, so lack of choice would not be any reason for walking out of the dining room. Poor or rude service or badly presented food certainly would be a reason for leaving. After filling the rest of your innards at the buffet, I would certainly be making immediate contact with the Hotel Director or Restaurant Manager to make sure it only ever happens the once.

I am not saying that any cruise line is better than any other merely that they are different from the water up and apart from having a pointed end and a blunt end, comparisons of both style, decor and food are very subjective. However, there is enough information for anyone who comes onto this board not to be either surprised or disappointed enough to complain unless something is truly worse than the norm. So if there is something you have a particular "bee in your bonnet" about, or have a raw nerve about something you intensely dislike such as bad service or plastic birds, find out first and then book the one that best meets your wishes (and pockets) and enjoy it.

Edited by old nutter
Spelling

I have a question.

Is that actually the case? I ask because this isn't the first time I have read this written about the Jade. On every NCL cruise I have been on, about half of the menu changes every day. Is there really just one ship that serves exactly the same food every day? I'm interested because I'm sailing on the Jade in a few weeks.

The MDR menus on the Jade changed daily in April when we were onboard. I do not believe the specialty restaurant menus change.

We found the food, both MDR, buffet, and specialty completely satisfactory. Gourmet in the "free" venues? No, but it should not be expected. I do agree that the Jade needs updating and could see a difference in April from our first of four Jade cruises. We cruise for itinerary and have had four different and fantastic itineraries on the Jade. To each their own, but I sure didn't go on another cruise line's board when I found one of its ships totally unsatisfactory. Glad the OP wrote a review as it seems to be that that is the place for this type of comment.

And to the quoted poster, have a wonderful cruise as we did!

Edited by HokiePoq

The difference between balconies and suites seems very little, can the price be for minisuites? We pay around $400 per person per night for our suite on the Breakaway in February.

Well, this is certainly a valid question -- I do not know for sure, as the website I took these numbers from simply calls them "suites." Certainly, the lowest numbers could be for mini-suites (which could also apply to HAL, as they have what they call "suites" but are really simply big balcony cabins) and very possibly Celebrity, for all I know...and does NCL have mini-suites?

But the highest figures certainly must be for the cheapest true "suites," with perks.

It is impossible to tell on some TA websites whether the category called "suite" does or does not include mini-suites. All I know is, when we recently booked a Princess mini-suite, the price we paid corresponded to the "balcony" prices listed on the online source I used. Our price did not correspond to the Princess "suite" price listed.

Well, this is certainly a valid question -- I do not know for sure, as the website I took these numbers from simply calls them "suites." Certainly, the lowest numbers could be for mini-suites (which could also apply to HAL, as they have what they call "suites" but are really simply big balcony cabins) and very possibly Celebrity, for all I know...and does NCL have mini-suites?

But the highest figures certainly must be for the cheapest true "suites," with perks.

It is impossible to tell on some TA websites whether the category called "suite" does or does not include mini-suites. All I know is, when we recently booked a Princess mini-suite, the price we paid corresponded to the "balcony" prices listed on the online source I used. Our price did not correspond to the Princess "suite" price listed.

I sailed in a PS suite on the Island Princess (top category) as well as the Haven on the Jade & Breakaway and in my opinion, there isn't any comparison. The PS suite was fine but I would take the Haven every time with its private pool area, retractable roof and sun deck - Both the Breakaway and Jade have retractable roofs making their pool areas the only ones usable in cold weather! I also sailed in a double balcony owners suite on the NCL Star (they have no Haven) and loved those accommodations as well but would have missed the Haven if we had more down time in our very port intensive Baltics Tour....

Everyone has different feelings on food, I would agree Princess has on balance marginally better main dining room food than NCL, and Holland has better food than Princess in the MDR. That being said, I didn't see too many people starving on the NCL ships so I don't think Weight Watchers will be endorsing NCL as their cruise line of choose....

With the thousands of meals prepared everyday on every ship in every cruise line, I challenge you to find some poor shmuck out there peeling potatoes per order for fries.

Do you have any concept of the amount of work that goes into preparing those meals in a timely manor so that pax like yourself don't have to wait for their meal?

Of course they're frozen ! ! ! You don't honestly believe that there is a personal chef in the galley for each passenger waiting patiently for the next order to leisurely arrive for them to prepare ?

On your next cruise, go on a behind the scenes tour of the kitchen facilities and ask that same question, but be prepared to wait for an answer. It will take a while for the staff to pick themselves off the floor from laughing hysterically at your question.

Well umpy, I stand corrected and apologise to the poster who said originally that the fries in Cagneys were frozen! :o I can honestly say I didn't think they were, because they were delicious. But of course, what you say makes perfect sense!

Well the website is called Cruise "Critic". Not Cruise Adoration.

When someone Googles up places to be a critic, or criticize a cruise. This seems like a logical place to come do that.

Sorry OP that your cruise want that good for you. I hope your next one is much better.

Maybe some of us prefer to use this definition of CRITIC: one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgement of its value, truth, rightousness, beaury or critique.

Such as in food critic, art critic, movie critic, etc. Their opions vary from "love it" to "hate it" and in between.

It dies not just mean complain or be "critical" in a negative way.

Per Mr. Webster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand, that's the problem with a quick search! A minisuite is not a suite but some websites don't understand that!

I'm confused by this statement.... there is no formal night on NCL and there are lots and lots of places to eat besides the MDR...:confused:

I was meaning Formal Nights on other cruise liners in case people felt that you needed to dress up on those nights you could do other things with out feeling out of place.

Just to say I have posted a review on the review page and to put in context that we have cruised before with PRINCESS and CELEBRITY which we found in all areas to be of a much higher standard with anytime dinning and if you did not want to go to the Formal Night there were plenty of places to eat and drink on the same evening.

I really think that N.C.L need to look at all aspects of there catering with somewhat more choice in there main dinning rooms. It would also be nice some of the furnishings could be updated they had made a start with new carpets in some areas !!!

We did enjoy our cruise as all the ports we went were fabulous and the weather was great just pity about the ship

You might want to consider the newer ships. Never say never.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your time. I have friends who just went on the Jade and said it was an amazing cruise from start to finish.

Good to know. Cruising is probably the only way I will get to experience Europe. I pick the ship according to the cost, itinerary and the length of time it's in port. I'm not expecting 5* dining. I'll even settle for an inside cabin if it is financially necessary so that I will have a few extra bucks to spend off the ship. Can't wait for my cruise!

If one were to go back and read my review and forum comments about our 21 day b2b on the Jade in January 2014, they would find that our opinions were very nearly identical to those stated by the OP.

And we had previously sailed on RCCL, HAL, Carnival, Princess, NCL, and Celebrity. Based on our prior NCL cruise and the INCREDIBLY cheap cruise fares, we expected mediocre to poor food in the MDR and buffet. And that is what we received. We happily suplemented our meals with lovely restaurant meals in ports.

However, we were satisfied with the service, delighted with the bathroom (insidge gty cabin, as always), outrught impressed with most of the entertainment, and agree that the ship decor is tacky.

All that said, we woukd certainly do NCL again if it were very cheap, very port intensive or (maybe) came with a free UDP. Otherwise, we choose Celebrity or HAL, depending on itinerary and price. We are trying MSC in September, again because it was cheap. Would consider Princess again, but doubt we would ever do Carnival or RCCL due yo large number of kids, teenagers, drunk passengers, and mediocre to poor food. AND higher prices than NCL in many cases (especially RCCL).

There's nothing like reading a review about how poor a ship was . . . . . when you're just about to go on it for two weeks yourself :eek:

Regardless of all that's been said, i'm sure i'll have a great time on the Jade - been on her before and know she's not prefect (like all of them). I think with cruising you can either spend all your time thinking about all the things you don't like, or just get on with it and enjoy the things you do like.

I've tried most of the cruise lines. I went on the Celebrity Constellation in 2004 and it was awarded the ship of the year I believe.It was amazing. I went on there in 2012 and to be honest it wasn't anywhere near as good as i'd rememebered. It was older, ships have advanced etc etc, but I still enjoyed every minute of it :D

I have a question.

In the MDR the menus on left did not change the menu on the right you would get one Special of the Port( main course only) which was something that had no meaning to the area we were in at the time in my view

We had Breakfast in The Blue Lagoon Café could not fault a good English. Lunch sandwich drink and soft ice cream on our balcony and dinner in the MDR or back to the Blue Lagoon for Fish and Chips which again I could not fault. As I said in my review the Blue Lagoon had a separate kitchen from the MDR and all the food we had there we could not fault as it was cooked to order .This the last I am going to write about the food !!!

There's nothing like reading a review about how poor a ship was . . . . . when you're just about to go on it for two weeks yourself :eek:

Regardless of all that's been said, i'm sure i'll have a great time on the Jade - been on her before and know she's not prefect (like all of them). I think with cruising you can either spend all your time thinking about all the things you don't like, or just get on with it and enjoy the things you do like.

I've tried most of the cruise lines. I went on the Celebrity Constellation in 2004 and it was awarded the ship of the year I believe.It was amazing. I went on there in 2012 and to be honest it wasn't anywhere near as good as i'd rememebered. It was older, ships have advanced etc etc, but I still enjoyed every minute of it :D

Do have a good time all the ports we went to were great we had our problems but we still enjoyed the holiday and will cruise again but may be not with N C L for a few years !!!!!!

In the MDR the menus on left did not change the menu on the right you would get one Special of the Port( main course only) which was something that had no meaning to the area we were in at the time in my view

That's interesting, as i have never been on an NCL cruise where there haven't been a selection of both starters and entrees that change daily.

Just looking at your posting history, and I think you sailed in early June. The person who confirmed that the menus did change daily sailed after you did, so it's possible you are both correct, but if your menu didn't change all week then you were very unfortunate. I've never heard of that happening before, but I suppose it's possible there was an issue in the Jade for a while.

Still, judging by the later report it seems that it shouldn't be a problem for people now.