Never again with Norwegian Cruises( The Jade)

penders

There's nothing like reading a review about how poor a ship was . . . . . when you're just about to go on it for two weeks yourself :eek:

Regardless of all that's been said, i'm sure i'll have a great time on the Jade - been on her before and know she's not prefect (like all of them). I think with cruising you can either spend all your time thinking about all the things you don't like, or just get on with it and enjoy the things you do like.

I've tried most of the cruise lines. I went on the Celebrity Constellation in 2004 and it was awarded the ship of the year I believe.It was amazing. I went on there in 2012 and to be honest it wasn't anywhere near as good as i'd rememebered. It was older, ships have advanced etc etc, but I still enjoyed every minute of it :D

have you read the review on NCL boards June 21 sailing-it's a lot more positive!

I understand, that's the problem with a quick search! A minisuite is not a suite but some websites don't understand that!

Indeed. Some pax don't either, which is, I suppose, what the cruise lines want -- to get uninformed pax to believe they are getting something better than they actually are...

We knew the ropes before we booked, but, for example, even though we were privileged to pay the same daily gratuity as in a true suite, there was nothing about our Princess minisuite that could not have been just as well described as a "deluxe balcony," and interestingly, I have recently found out that the "superior verandah" cabin we sailed in on Zuiderdam in 2011 is now entitled a "Signature Suite," though it has no suite perks (though it was a lovely large cabin with a beautiful balcony!)

Well the website is called Cruise "Critic". Not Cruise Adoration.

When someone Googles up places to be a critic, or criticize a cruise. This seems like a logical place to come do that.

Sorry OP that your cruise want that good for you. I hope your next one is much better.

Ditto this :)

Indeed. Some pax don't either, which is, I suppose, what the cruise lines want -- to get uninformed pax to believe they are getting something better than they actually are...

I don't think that's what the cruise lines really want! If passengers believe they get something better than they get when they only pay slightly more than for a standard balcony cabin they will be unhappy and that's not good for the cruisecompany, I think.

I don't think that's what the cruise lines really want! If passengers believe they get something better than they get when they only pay slightly more than for a standard balcony cabin they will be unhappy and that's not good for the cruisecompany, I think.

Perhaps you are right. But many a first-time cruiser (myself included) has paid extra for aspects of a cruise that, when more experienced, he or she realized was not worth the price. They were taken in by the advertising (including throwing around the term "suite" for cabins which are actually not.)

The only benefits of the minisuite include bathtubs and more drawer space. The area of the cabin might be slightly larger. Bathrobes and coffee makers are included.

There is no butler and concierge service with the mini-suite.

To the OP

If mega ships are not to your liking, try the Pearl. She is a lovely ship, with a great crew. She gets great reviews, and I enjoyed my 14 days aboard her.

Say this up front...I'm not criticizing the OP. I am having some issues following him/her.

There are no formal nights with Freestyle. So, I'm trying to understand if the OP was wanting formal nights? Or, disappointed without having formal nights (after all, there are no cruises on mainstream lines with formal nights any more)?

There were no issues with the "other food" venues, but disappointed with the MDR? Is that because there are no formal nights with Freestyle?

Menus didn't change? This is the first time I've heard this.

Reason I'm curious, the wife and I are thinking of trying one of the smaller NCL ships and we want to make sure we know what to expect.

Say this up front...I'm not criticizing the OP. I am having some issues following him/her.

There are no formal nights with Freestyle. So, I'm trying to understand if the OP was wanting formal nights? Or, disappointed without having formal nights (after all, there are no cruises on mainstream lines with formal nights any more)?

There were no issues with the "other food" venues, but disappointed with the MDR? Is that because there are no formal nights with Freestyle?

Menus didn't change? This is the first time I've heard this.

Reason I'm curious, the wife and I are thinking of trying one of the smaller NCL ships and we want to make sure we know what to expect.

I was just saying that other cruises I have been on had formal nights if you wanted to go you could if you did not there was lots of other places to eat and drink We did know what Freestyle meant and we were not expecting any formal nights We have been on 4 cruises in the last 5 years and attended one formal night last year on the Ocean Princess the other years we did our own thing. We have been with Celebrity and Princess and they both have had formal nights when we sailed with them. I have said my feelings on the MDR food I am sure everyone will have their own view

Perhaps you are right. But many a first-time cruiser (myself included) has paid extra for aspects of a cruise that, when more experienced, he or she realized was not worth the price. They were taken in by the advertising (including throwing around the term "suite" for cabins which are actually not.)

The extra cost for a minisuite compared to a standard balcony is so little so noone can really expect to get much, I think.

I'm amazed when people seems to know everything about the suiteperks but they don't know that a minisuite isn't a suite! (I don't say that you were like that before you got more experienced!)

The extra cost for a minisuite compared to a standard balcony is so little so noone can really expect to get much, I think.

I'm amazed when people seems to know everything about the suiteperks but they don't know that a minisuite isn't a suite! (I don't say that you were like that before you got more experienced!)

I had a mini suite on the Sun years back and for the small extra it was well worth it. The room was lovely.

However I had a Junior Suite on RC and that was a load extra and I was extremely disappointed with the lack of perks as it's not really a suite! As it had priority boarding I thought it had more than it did. I won't make that mistake again.

Just to say I have posted a review on the review page and to put in context that we have cruised before with PRINCESS and CELEBRITY which we found in all areas to be of a much higher standard with anytime dinning and if you did not want to go to the Formal Night there were plenty of places to eat and drink on the same evening.

I really think that N.C.L need to look at all aspects of there catering with somewhat more choice in there main dinning rooms. It would also be nice some of the furnishings could be updated they had made a start with new carpets in some areas !!!

We did enjoy our cruise as all the ports we went were fabulous and the weather was great just pity about the ship

I must say that the title of your thread worried me as we are sailing the Jade later this year.

However, it appears that the main problems you had were with the food and the furnishings. If this is the case, then I am less concerned. I have cruised many times before and know that the Jade is not one of the glitzy new ships. Did you have any other concerns?

I am also not sure what you mean by the formal evenings as NCL does not have any?? Or did you mean that NCL does not have many places to dine besides the MDR?

TIA!

I had a mini suite on the Sun years back and for the small extra it was well worth it. The room was lovely.

However I had a Junior Suite on RC and that was a load extra and I was extremely disappointed with the lack of perks as it's not really a suite! As it had priority boarding I thought it had more than it did. I won't make that mistake again.

I agree that NCLs minisuites are good value for money, especially on the Sun, because they don't cost much more than a standard balcony.

Before you booked the RCI Junior Suite, you have have researched what perks you would get.

I must say that the title of your thread worried me as we are sailing the Jade later this year.

However, it appears that the main problems you had were with the food and the furnishings. If this is the case, then I am less concerned. I have cruised many times before and know that the Jade is not one of the glitzy new ships. Did you have any other concerns?

I am also not sure what you mean by the formal evenings as NCL does not have any?? Or did you mean that NCL does not have many places to dine besides the MDR?

TIA!

I have answered the question about formal nights on page 3 The Ship looked very tired and the staff though friendly some could do with more training as the captain said in a question and answer talk when asked was the training done on board his answer was NO ITS A PITY THE TRAINING IS DONE AT HEAD OFFICE , The gang ways on and off the ship were very steep. There were other places to dine if you wanted to pay extra we did on the last night.

As I have said before that we enjoyed the places we went to and the shore excursions were good The Cabin on deck 11(11066) was fine and near a lift which was good for my walking as I did not want to take mobility scooter around all the time

All in all you are right our main problems were with the food and furnishings as well as some of the staff who made life more difficult about taking my scooter on excursions which I wrote about on the review page

I have answered the question about formal nights on page 3 The Ship looked very tired and the staff though friendly some could do with more training as the captain said in a question and answer talk when asked was the training done on board his answer was NO ITS A PITY THE TRAINING IS DONE AT HEAD OFFICE , The gang ways on and off the ship were very steep. There were other places to dine if you wanted to pay extra we did on the last night.

As I have said before that we enjoyed the places we went to and the shore excursions were good The Cabin on deck 11(11066) was fine and near a lift which was good for my walking as I did not want to take mobility scooter around all the time

All in all you are right our main problems were with the food and furnishings as well as some of the staff who made life more difficult about taking my scooter on excursions which I wrote about on the review page

Thanks so much for your further input.

I was just saying that other cruises I have been on had formal nights if you wanted to go you could if you did not there was lots of other places to eat and drink We did know what Freestyle meant and we were not expecting any formal nights We have been on 4 cruises in the last 5 years and attended one formal night last year on the Ocean Princess the other years we did our own thing. We have been with Celebrity and Princess and they both have had formal nights when we sailed with them. I have said my feelings on the MDR food I am sure everyone will have their own view

Oh...I see. Now I understand. You're right. NCL is different than either Celebrity or Princess. Obviously, they have "Dress up, or not" nights. Just came off the Breakaway, and I don't recall seeing one person wearing a tie, or a jacket, on any night. That's becoming more the norm rather than the exception on my other cruises, too.

Most of the other cruise lines, you either dine in the MDR or you of to their buffet, if you don't want specialty dining.

Again, not a criticism, I think if you would have asked one of the ship's staff or looked at the dailies, you would have found a wealth of alternative dining venues on your cruise outside of the MDRs. Not sure what the venues were on your particular cruise, but there were 3 MDRs on my latest NCL cruises....Manhattan Room, Taste and Savor. Nothing formal required in any of them.

Then there was the Buffet. Or, you could have gone to O'Sheehans (open 24/7), or the Uptown Grill. And, then there were the specialty dining venues available, too.

Not sure if you'll ever cruise NCL again, but here's a guide that would be helpful if you do....

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Dining-Guide-06202014.pdf

Can't speak about the furnishings on your ship, but I think it's one of NCL's older ships. Staff? I've always found exemplary on NCL.

Coming from a person who smashed his leg in a motorcycle accident years ago (all better now, though) and having spent a year with limited mobility, I do agree if you absolutely, positively, have to use a scooter, a walker, strollers, etc. NCL probably isn't the cruise line I'd choose first.

Can't speak to using scooters at the port. Each port I've been on has had varying degrees of "limited mobility" friendliness and accommodations.

Best of luck wherever you end up on your next cruise.

Edited by graphicguy

Oh...I see. Now I understand. You're right. NCL is different than either Celebrity or Princess. Obviously, they have "Dress up, or not" nights. Just came off the Breakaway, and I don't recall seeing one person wearing a tie, or a jacket, on any night. That's becoming more the norm rather than the exception on my other cruises, too.

Most of the other cruise lines, you either dine in the MDR or you of to their buffet, if you don't want specialty dining.

Again, not a criticism, I think if you would have asked one of the ship's staff or looked at the dailies, you would have found a wealth of alternative dining venues on your cruise outside of the MDRs. Not sure what the venues were on your particular cruise, but there were 3 MDRs on my latest NCL cruises....Manhattan Room, Taste and Savor. Nothing formal required in any of them.

Then there was the Buffet. Or, you could have gone to O'Sheehans (open 24/7), or the Uptown Grill. And, then there were the specialty dining venues available, too.

Not sure if you'll ever cruise NCL again, but here's a guide that would be helpful if you do....

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Dining-Guide-06202014.pdf

Can't speak about the furnishings on your ship, but I think it's one of NCL's older ships. Staff? I've always found exemplary on NCL.

Coming from a person who smashed his leg in a motorcycle accident years ago (all better now, though) and having spent a year with limited mobility, I do agree if you absolutely, positively, have to use a scooter, a walker, strollers, etc. NCL probably isn't the cruise line I'd choose first.

Can't speak to using scooters at the port. Each port I've been on has had varying degrees of "limited mobility" friendliness and accommodations.

Best of luck wherever you end up on your next cruise.

Thanks for the info there were 2 MDR, Buffet, 24 hour Coffee Café( were we ate most days as the breakfast menu and rest of the day menu suited us once we found that the MDR were not for us) then 7 restaurants with a cover charge from $15 to $30 we ate at the Italian on the last night at $15 but not at the stake house at $30 !!!!

Thanks for the info there were 2 MDR, Buffet, 24 hour Coffee Café( were we ate most days as the breakfast menu and rest of the day menu suited us once we found that the MDR were not for us) then 7 restaurants with a cover charge from $15 to $30 we ate at the Italian on the last night at $15 but not at the stake house at $30 !!!!

You ate most meals at the Coffee Cafe?

You ate most meals at the Coffee Cafe?

Sorry it was called The Blue Lagoon café and served fresh coffee 24 hours a day. I have stated in other posts that we had most of our meals there

Yes sorry I should have named it in my post it severed coffee 24 hours a day and was always open for food when we were in need

Completely changing the subject, hows the traffic and noise round your way this week? I lived in Fleet, Farnborough and Aldershot until I was 32 and I miss this week.

Penders, I hear what you are saying about mobility issues; and problems getting your scooter around. I believe the steep ramp in ports are due to the host ports and the cruiselines; not just NCL don't have a lot of say as to how you get on and off the ship. They have to use whatever ramps are available. I have not been on Jade; but I have seen plenty of pictures. It does seem that the main parts of the ship still look like it could sail in Hawaii. I am glad that for the most part you had a good time and the weather was good.

Just to say I have posted a review on the review page and to put in context that we have cruised before with PRINCESS and CELEBRITY which we found in all areas to be of a much higher standard with anytime dinning and if you did not want to go to the Formal Night there were plenty of places to eat and drink on the same evening.

I really think that N.C.L need to look at all aspects of there catering with somewhat more choice in there main dinning rooms. It would also be nice some of the furnishings could be updated they had made a start with new carpets in some areas !!!

We did enjoy our cruise as all the ports we went were fabulous and the weather was great just pity about the ship

Have you ever heard the phrase "in my opinion" because that is what you are giving. I will be honest, I haven't been on Celebrity for several years and the last time I was it was a 5 day cruise. The shorter cruises are normally not as nice as7 day or longer, but our experience with Celebrity (that time) was anything but positive. Our last cruise on Princess, about 2 years ago had the worst food we have ever had and I have cruised about 30 times, on all mass marketed lines, all more than once.

You are right, for those who do not want to take part in the formal nights on Princess there are other options, but I can assure you, we felt like low life, not dressing formally, even eating at the buffet. The second formal night we grabbed something early, then had room service.

So, as you can see: the term "in my opinion" is just that, an opinion. I would never suggest NCL is better than say, Princess, I would say, for us NCL is a better fit. I do know, when someone posts a very negative review, most do not take it too seriously.

Obviously NCL isn't for you. Every cruise line has a market and what works for one will not always work for someone else. This does not make any brand inferior.

I know I keep harping on about it, but when reading the OP's review it is important to keep in mind the situation regarding the menus in the restaurants. One of the things they mentioned in the original post was that NCL should look at their catering with "somewhat more choice in their main dining rooms".

They have since confirmed that their observation was that the menu didn't change in the MDR's except for one chefs special each day.

Now, I don't know whether that was the case or not. Someone else who sailed a few weeks later has confirmed that they had what sounds like the old menus which did change daily. On the other hand, the OP's review is one of four I found from the Jade in the last couple of months which state that the menus didn't change.

NCL is currently introducing new menus to all ships, but it seems that they haven't got to the Jade yet. I had the new menus on the Epic recently, and I thought they were a step up from the old ones. Therefore, this is an area that NCL are improving on. If in fact the menus didn't actually change all week then the OP was very unfortunate to be on a sailing where the basics that we are used to when sailing on NCL wasn't even being met. If I was on the Jade for a week with one just one days old MDR menu that didn't change then I'm sure I'd think it was pretty disappointing too.