FLL to and from port +hotel

kona_wahine

Ok, last cruise we flew in to MIA and stayed near the airport. We have enough FF miles to fly free but have to fly to FLL. I don't want to take a shuttle, just hate having to wait for others. How much would a taxi be? I think we paid around $30 from a MIA hotel, including tip. Same going back also to MIA. How long does it take to get from port to FLL? I don't want to book our flight until I know. We have FTTF/carnival so can be off the ship early if needed.

Also, what's a good hotel near FLL to stay pre-cruise? We won't get in until evening, flying from Oregon so it's just a place to sleep. Doesn't have to be fancy or near anything. A mini mart or grocery would be nice so we can grasp some sodas/water to bring with us.

Thanks in advance.

Cruising from Port Everglades or Port of Miami? :confused:

From the FLL area to POM is about 40-45 minutes; same going from POM back to FLL. I would not book a return flight earlier than 11:30 -- noon or later to be safe: do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused:

Taxi from FLL area hotels to POM will cost you, on the meter, about $80-85+ :eek: Round trip in taxis, with tips, and you are looking close to $200. Pre-book private car service/limo and you can enjoy a nicer ride and maybe save some $$ Check with Go Airport, Holland Limo and Larry's Limos.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL lodging and tourist info. :cool:

Cruising from Port Everglades or Port of Miami? :confused:

From the FLL area to POM is about 40-45 minutes; same going from POM back to FLL. I would not book a return flight earlier than 11:30 -- noon or later to be safe: do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused:

Taxi from FLL area hotels to POM will cost you, on the meter, about $80-85+ :eek: Round trip in taxis, with tips, and you are looking close to $200. Pre-book private car service/limo and you can enjoy a nicer ride and maybe save some $$ Check with Go Airport, Holland Limo and Larry's Limos.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL lodging and tourist info. :cool:

Yes, POM. I've been searching and guess we do want a shuttle! Lol. Seems like the going rate is about $15pp. Look like we would still get to port around 11:00. I will check out the ones you listed. Thanks!

The only flight out for our miles is at 6:30 pm, so I think we might sign up for the carnival excursion to the Everglades and drop off at FLL. Not sure what else we'd do until then.

The only flight out for our miles is at 6:30 pm, so I think we might sign up for the carnival excursion to the Everglades and drop off at FLL. Not sure what else we'd do until then.

The excursion will get you to the airport by 1:30. So a long wait sitting in a pretty boring airport. Have you considered a rental for the day?

The excursion will get you to the airport by 1:30. So a long wait sitting in a pretty boring airport. Have you considered a rental for the day?

I was considering that also. Do most the car rental agencies have locs close to POM? I assume we can drive to the Everglades and head back to FLL late afternoon.

budget FLL hotels:

Sleep Inn Dania (get drinks at CVS)

Hampton Inn or Best Western on SR84/SW 24th St. (get drinks at Winn Dixie)

These might all still have free airport shuttle...it's a very short ride anyway.

It will cost you about $90 to go to the port.

Avis, Enterprise, and Hertz have car rentals a short taxi from Port Miami in "downtown" and at FLL.

Just stayed at the Sleep Inn Dania and it was convenient and next to a Walgreen's we ended up going to twice for last-minute items. Also across from a good Mexican restaurant.

We took MJS Transportation to POM for the 2nd time in less than a year and I highly recommend them. $13pp in brand new Mercedes shuttle vans. They were organized and early to pick us up. No hassles and great service.

Gomjstrans.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the tips. I booked the sleep inn. Now just need to figure out which shuttle will get us to port the quickest. We have FTTF so would like to be checked in before boarding begins.

You should call around and do you research. Most of the shuttle companies don't start till later, when they have made the reverse trips. So quickest isn't the point...it is when do they start making their pickups heading TO the port. People with that Carnival thingy find the shuttle timing a disappointment when flying in and cruising from different cities.

Edited by eandj

I found one that picks up at 9:30.

Are there shuttles that would run on Friday evening to the POM hotels? I'm thinking maybe staying closer to port would be best. A rental car was about $120 so even a taxi would be less. Plus not the hassle.

Edited by kona_wahine

Have you thought about a car rental? It probably doesn't make sense in your case, unless you wanted to boot around a bit. I started renting cars about 4 years ago, and now I do it on most trips (except when I'm staying in the city). I've found that I can port my insurance over so its usually dead cheap to rent a car.

I looked into a rental car and to return it Friday night the POM locations are closed. To return it the next morning it's $120, and then it sounds like we'd have to pay to park. A taxi is somewhere between $75 (per FLL's website) and $85 (per holiday inns website) and the upside to that is we don't have to drive. :p that's always stressful in a city your not familiar with.

eandj, We are flying in to FLL on Feb. 6th for a Feb 7th cruise. Last time we did this we stayed at the Bahia Mar. My husband loved the location (view of the ocean and easy walk to restaurants, etc. I would love these same amenities, but would also like a better price. Any suggestions?

I thought about a car rental but as its just my son and I, it's not cost effective. Im trying to figure out the best way to do this: stay in Ft L and shuttle to POM the next day or get to miami right after we land (don't know how) and take hotel shuttle to port.

I thought about a car rental but as its just my son and I, it's not cost effective. Im trying to figure out the best way to do this: stay in Ft L and shuttle to POM the next day or get to miami right after we land (don't know how) and take hotel shuttle to port.

You can shuttle from FLL to POM after you land, but you will pay more than the bargain rates of about $15 per person you'll find making a morning run to POM. Check with Go Airport Shuttle, QLS, and others often suggested here.

None of the downtown Miami hotels offers a free shuttle to POM, but a taxi will only run about $12-15+tip. Check the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell Village, Intercontinental, Hyatt, Marriott, Doubletree and Holiday Inn. Good luck! :)

I ended up booking the holiday inn POM at $189, and will take a taxi from FLL at around $85. Costs more but I'm a bit OCD so would rather get near the port and take a taxi to the ship than have to rely on a shuttle. Our flights were booked with FFM so only cost us $20 for both.