Advice for the Zaandam Alaska Cruise?

JPH814

We are planning to book a cruise to Alaska - including 2 days pre-tour in Denali. The July 2 Zaandam cruise seems perfect.

I am looking for advice on cabin selection. There will be 6 of us - my wife and I (two 60 year olds) and a son and daughter and their spouses (all 30s). I intend to have a veranda room for two of us and get outside rooms with windows for the others.

Any advice on specific rooms or general locations?

I know on a number of ships, there are certain rooms that are attractive for one reason or another (a more oversized cabin, have a larger than average balcony etc.) I also know most ships have rooms or areas to avoid, due to noise or other reasons.

Thanks for your shared wisdom.

When I book a cruise I consider several things. First, I like to be low on the ship so that I don't feel the movement of the ship as much as I would on one of the higher decks. Then, I like a cabin near the elevator so that I don't have to walk so far. I also like to book a cabin at the rear of the ship rather than the front as that is where the dining room and Lido are located. Of course, this means I have to walk farther to go to the shows, but I eat 3 times a day and usually only go to the shows once. Last, I try to make sure my cabin does not have an obstructed view. As for noise, I am a very sound sleeper, so I don't let potential noises from surrounding locations enter into my consideration.

When I book a cruise I consider several things. First, I like to be low on the ship so that I don't feel the movement of the ship as much as I would on one of the higher decks. Then, I like a cabin near the elevator so that I don't have to walk so far. I also like to book a cabin at the rear of the ship rather than the front as that is where the dining room and Lido are located. Of course, this means I have to walk farther to go to the shows, but I eat 3 times a day and usually only go to the shows once. Last, I try to make sure my cabin does not have an obstructed view. As for noise, I am a very sound sleeper, so I don't let potential noises from surrounding locations enter into my consideration.

Thanks for this. I generally keep these things in mind as well.

But I also know that each ship has some "secrets" that are not obvious from the deck layouts - things that are often only known by past travelers. This is the advice I was looking for.

I just sailed in 7067 and it was very noisy with the repositioning of chairs above in the Seaview pool bar. The bar was also the smoking area but the smoke did not drift down. I!ll be posting this on Halfacts when I get the pictures ready to post.

The outside cabins are on Lower Promenade Deck, and the two decks below that. The cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the others, but have the advantage of ready access to the great outdoors. There are some partially and fully obstructed cabins on this deck, so check carefully before booking (the category is lower).

Main Deck outside cabins are sandwiched between two passenger decks, so are relatively quiet.

If you choose a veranda cabin, as opposed to a Neptune Suite, the balcony will be tight if all 6 of you want to be out there at once.