Which of the PAY restaurants is the best on NCL Getaway?

traveller

We have some on board credits and wanted to try just ONE of the pay extra restaurants...

We don't want to do Ocean..

Which of the other restaurants would u say gives the best bang for ur buck? ie great food and not too too expensive..

I have done NCL in the past and felt these pay extra restaurants were not all they were cracked up to be except for the Hibachi restaurant but someone mentioned Le Bistro and I wondered how it was???

I normally don't cruise NCL ...normally a Celebrity cruiser ...so this craziness on booking a pay for restaurant is way more nuts on NCL....it was super easy to pre book one of the fancy restaurants on Celebrity but NCL , the last time I cruised ( 5 yrs ago) you had to stand in huge lines to make reservations...Drove me nuts so I had my friends ( who had a suite) pre-book all the restaurants we wanted to try.

ALSO which of the FREE restaurants are SUPER good as I know the main dining room is just so so....which is typical of NCL as they want u to buy their extra dining pkg ( as opposed to Celebrity where the main dining room had FABULOUS food and great service and it was also anytime dining)

SO ALL help will be appreciated..

Andy

I have done NCL in the past and felt these pay extra restaurants were not all they were cracked up to be except for the Hibachi restaurant but someone mentioned Le Bistro and I wondered how it was???

The food in Le Bistro is delicious; however, on the Getaway it's like eating in a closet with no windows to the ocean and the tables practically on top of one another. I could've dipped in the fondue on the next table without even leaning.

My favorites are Cagney's or Teppanyaki. At Cagney's you can sit outside on the Waterfront if you choose.

Edited by LrgPizza

We have some on board credits and wanted to try just ONE of the pay extra restaurants...

We don't want to do Ocean..

Which of the other restaurants would u say gives the best bang for ur buck? ie great food and not too too expensive..

I normally don't cruise NCL ...normally a Celebrity cruiser ...so this craziness on booking a pay for restaurant is way more nuts on NCL....it was super easy to pre book one of the fancy restaurants on Celebrity but NCL , the last time I cruised ( 5 yrs ago) you had to stand in huge lines to make reservations...Drove me nuts so I had my friends ( who had a suite) pre-book all the restaurants we wanted to try.

ALSO which of the FREE restaurants are SUPER good as I know the main dining room is just so so....which is typical of NCL as they want u to buy their extra dining pkg ( as opposed to Celebrity where the main dining room had FABULOUS food and great service and it was also anytime dining)

SO ALL help will be appreciated..

Andy

You can pre-book on "my Ncl"

You can pre-book with the Ncl iconcierge when on the ship

You can pre-book by using any phone on the ship

You can pre-book at the specialty restaurant desk on ship (no long lines )

You can pre-book from all the interactive tv's on the ship

So maybe the "craziness" is just a rumor on the Celebrity board ;)

But coming on the Ncl board asking questions about the poor quality of Ncl compared to your preferred cruise line will not entice many cruiser to help you....just saying !

I like Le Bristro. But as previously mentioned, it's small, and it fills up fast. You need reservations quickly. Moderno was a nice open area, great service....but I'm just not a big meat eater. The Italian restaurant, which I usually like, on the Getaway, while atmosphere and service was fine, food wasn't.

You can pre-book on "my Ncl"

You can pre-book with the Ncl iconcierge when on the ship

You can pre-book by using any phone on the ship

You can pre-book at the specialty restaurant desk on ship (no long lines )

You can pre-book from all the interactive tv's on the ship

So maybe the "craziness" is just a rumor on the Celebrity board ;)

But coming on the Ncl board asking questions about the poor quality of Ncl compared to your preferred cruise line will not entice many cruiser to help you....just saying !

And in addition to all of the above, why, you can often just walk up with NO reservation and go right in. Such a hardship!

My favorite on the Getaway was Cagney's. At $30 pp it is the most expensive aside from Ocean Blue, but worth every penny in my opinion. The steak was one of the best I have had anywhere in a very long time.

Since I am a gold member I have traveled on NCL for several of my cruise adventures. The specialty restaurants are the same on each ship. Having tried all during one cruise or another my favorite restaurant(s) are: French and steak. Well worth the little extra money.

Just bought the UDP for our Breakaway cruise and we intend to try all of the specialty restaurants. Looking forward to Ocean Blue. We bought the UDP for our Jewel cruise and felt it was well worth it for us.

In April we were on the Jewel and loved the Italian restaurant as we have on our previous Spirit cruises. Excellent service, very friendly and accommodating. We ate there twice in April and each time I ordered the steak and have to say it was memorable. Without the UDP the price is $15.00 per person.

Edited by kcwingwalker