The Various "Packages"....(drink, photo...etc)

I'll be having my first RCI cruise early in 2015 - and will be spending each day until then obsessing about the planning - I'm OCD like that.

I cannot find any information on the photo package on the RCI site - as I understand from posts read here - the package and price is variable depending on ship - does anyone know if there is an option to purchase this before getting on the ship or must we wait until we get on?

Drinks: If I buy the soft drink package and my husband buys a drink package - we can nudge nudge wink wink help each other out, right? If we both bought the packages we'd never get our money's worth but we have a shot at breaking even if we get each other the odd drink I think - has anyone else done that? I'm not a big rule breaker - and I have no interest in fleecing the cruiseline - but if I got my husband a diet coke once per day and he got me a beer once per day - I can't see how that would be too terribly wrong.

Internet: Is there an internet package and where do I find out about it? Is it a good deal? I can see myself spending 15 minutes or so on Facebook everyday if it's convenient.

Are there any other packages that one should know about that make life easier and potentially cheaper?

Thanks so much!

Sharing is not allowed with the drink packages.

Also, internet costs vary by ship. It can be by the minute or an unlimited rate. If you tell us the ship, we may be able to give you accurate info.

Ok, here comes my Ten Foot Pole.

No, you may not share the drink packages. If you do not feel like you will be able to drink $XX amount of alcohol per day, don't buy a package and just purchase your drinks as you go.

Sharing a drink package is stealing. It is stealing the same way that going to an all-you-can-eat buffet is stealing if you pay for one person but two people eat all that they can. It is stealing like taking anything else without paying for it. Even asking the question is beyond the pale.

JMO.

YMMV.

Don't "share" your package. If you get an all-inclusive drink package for him, that includes sodas, so you won't have to "sneak" anything for him.

If you don't want an alcoholic drink package, get a soda package for yourself and pay for your alcohol a la carte.

Edited by Jobeth66

Each package is per person. You don't have to have a package to get drinks, tho. If you don't drink a lot, just buy "by the drink". Sodas may be purchased by the can, when you want one. You can certainly share a can, it yields 2 glasses.

Same with the alcohol....you have to drink about 7 drinks per day to make it pay.

Wi-fi starts at around $.85 per min.....it's nowhere near as fast as at home! Packages drop the price a bit.

I have been researching the photo packages as our family is very interested in this package. There is a very helpful thread the next page over on this forum about "Unlimited Photo Package". The photos are contracted out so this explains why you can't find information on the RCI website. You can purchase pictures ahead of time on mycruisephotos.com. However, it appearsyou must be within 6 weeks of sail date to purchase/get pricing. From what I have read, prices seem to vary per ship, per sailing, time of year etc (supply and demand).

I'll be having my first RCI cruise early in 2015 - and will be spending each day until then obsessing about the planning - I'm OCD like that.

!

I suffer from Analysis Paralysis every cruise. Self inflicted might I add!

My Feb 2015 Cruise planning is taking shape nicely.

I have the binder going. Each day indexed. Compass's and menus in their corresponding days. Activities are starting to be planned.

Planning is half the fun of cruising for me!

Internet on board is slooooooooow!

Same with the alcohol....you have to drink about 7 drinks per day to make it pay.

No, you don't.

2 glasses of good wine with dinner $28 + tip - 32.20

1 cocktail with the show/after dinner - $12 + tip = 13.80

2 sodas - $6 + tip = 6.90

2 bottles of water - $8 + tip = 9.20

There's $62. And while that's 7 drinks, it's only 3 alcoholic drinks, and only tipping the minimum 15%. That's also not including any specialty coffees or fresh-squeezed juices.

I could drink like that on an average cruise day without even trying.

...We'll be on Adventure of the Seas.

I hadn't realized that the soft drinks were covered with the Drink package - I thought we had to buy both - which was super expensive to me, hence my idea to each buy one and share. My dh and I both bought the drink package on Carnival - and did not break even - despite sneaking the odd drink to our 20 year old daughter (who is of legal drinking age at home and pretty much everywhere else in the world). If there is a next time on Carnival - we'd definitely be just buying as we go.

I do appreciate the honest people here - and I respect it. I tend to be more of a rule bender than breaker - and generally end up paying more than my share because I'm not out to screw anyone ever - I even have been known to pay more for stuff at garage sales than the listed price - so overall, my karma will be in good shape!

Thank you for all of the great advice and tips. I can't wait! And I love this website because of all of the OCD trip planners! I am not alone here, LOL!

No, you don't.

2 glasses of good wine with dinner $28 + tip - 32.20

1 cocktail with the show/after dinner - $12 + tip = 13.80

2 sodas - $6 + tip = 6.90

2 bottles of water - $8 + tip = 9.20

There's $62. And while that's 7 drinks, it's only 3 alcoholic drinks, and only tipping the minimum 15%. That's also not including any specialty coffees or fresh-squeezed juices.

I could drink like that on an average cruise day without even trying.

1. Those prices are not correct.

2. Those prices cannot be used to compare to the package per diem price because the package only covers the cost of a drink or a glass of wine up to $10 dollars. You cannot get a $14 glass of wine at dinner with the package. You will have to pay the $4 difference. Same with your cocktail example.

And those prices are wrong for soda and water, too.

I have been researching the photo packages as our family is very interested in this package. There is a very helpful thread the next page over on this forum about "Unlimited Photo Package". The photos are contracted out so this explains why you can't find information on the RCI website. You can purchase pictures ahead of time on mycruisephotos.com. However, it appearsyou must be within 6 weeks of sail date to purchase/get pricing. From what I have read, prices seem to vary per ship, per sailing, time of year etc (supply and demand).

...We'll be on Adventure of the Seas.

I hadn't realized that the soft drinks were covered with the Drink package - I thought we had to buy both - which was super expensive to me, hence my idea to each buy one and share. My dh and I both bought the drink package on Carnival - and did not break even - despite sneaking the odd drink to our 20 year old daughter (who is of legal drinking age at home and pretty much everywhere else in the world). If there is a next time on Carnival - we'd definitely be just buying as we go.

I do appreciate the honest people here - and I respect it. I tend to be more of a rule bender than breaker - and generally end up paying more than my share because I'm not out to screw anyone ever - I even have been known to pay more for stuff at garage sales than the listed price - so overall, my karma will be in good shape!

Thank you for all of the great advice and tips. I can't wait! And I love this website because of all of the OCD trip planners! I am not alone here, LOL!

Here is the link to the other thread about the Photo Packages:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1805444

1. Those prices are not correct.

2. Those prices cannot be used to compare to the package per diem price because the package only covers the cost of a drink or a glass of wine up to $10 dollars. You cannot get a $14 glass of wine at dinner with the package. You will have to pay the $4 difference. Same with your cocktail example.

And those prices are wrong for soda and water, too.

Actually, wine by the glass is up to $12, so we were both wrong. :)

Cocktails up to $10.

I saw somewhere that someone said $2.75 for cokes and $4.25 for bottled water. I can't think those prices are too far off, but I could be wrong.

Even still

2 glasses of wine - $24 + tip = 27.60

1 cocktail - $10 + tip = 11.50

2 sodas (let's call it $2.50) = $5 + tip = $5.75

2 bottles of water (let's call it $3.50)= $7 + tip = 8.05

So that's $52.90, if the quick math in my head is right. $55/day gets you the unlimited. Still an easy drinking day.