flight duration from Barbados to Birmingham

sunny seas

Just realised its BGI to BHX not the other way around, in that case it should be under 8 hours, maybe closer to 7.

Presume a night flight so the cabin lights should be off for a few hours but I would still take an eye mask and ear plugs

Edited by richleeds
typo

It's really annoying. Last time I flew home to Manchester from Barbados, it took 8 hours.

I was speaking to an American couple, and apparently their flight was about 3 hours.

Clearly Thomas Cook need to buy some faster planes…...

Rich,

Agree the 757 is slow, but are you sure they are using 757's and not A330's?

I say that because, although they are probably just about in range for the shorter homeward flight, with lots of diversion airports at the destination end, I don't think the 757's have the range for an outbound journey and will require a scheduled refuelling stop outbound in the Azores.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
changedd 'shorter homeward route' to 'shorter homeward flight'

It's really annoying. Last time I flew home to Manchester from Barbados, it took 8 hours.

I was speaking to an American couple, and apparently their flight was about 3 hours.

Clearly Thomas Cook need to buy some faster planes…...

Three hours would be more than a bit special.

We once did Barbados to Heathrow in 3 hours 45 minutes, including taxiing, and arriving at 20.45 in the evening but that was in 1996 and we were on Concorde.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I guess you know that Barbados is much closer to the USA than us?!

Yes - I was only joking :D:D:D:D:D:D:

I would hardly call the 757 slow. It cruises at comparable speeds to other aircraft. Mach 0.8-0.82. The downside is the single aisle, totally unsuitable for any flight over 4 hours.

The single aisle is also unsuitable for shorter flights - embarkation and disembarkation takes far too long. It's OK on short aircraft like the A319 and 737 but the longer the aircraft the worse it is at turnaround.

Dont believe everything people tell you. 3 hours from Barbados to the UK isnt viable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would hardly call the 757 slow. It cruises at comparable speeds to other aircraft.

It is all relative. 757 quickly becomes inefficient at over 0.8 Mach which is around 30 knots slower than the most efficient cruising speed of a typical transatlantic commercial airliner operating in the same conditions. This may not seem much difference, but, over a five hour flight it adds up to a lot.

Ask any 747 captain who has had to slow down, arrive late and use more fuel, because he has a 757 in front of him if the 757 is slow. The reply would be unprintable.

I think Thomson might be flying dreamliners on the Caribbean route from Birmingham come the end of the year..that knocks half an hour off again...

Ooh I hope so - although we're not flying until Feb 2016. We flew from Birmingham to Barbados in March and I think we must have been on the oldest plane in the fleet! We read that Thomsons were due more Dreamliners and wondered if they would use them in and out of Birmingham.

Hells

Thomson have just taken delivery of two more Dreamliners in the last month, making a total of six, which completes their order. There is therefore a good chance that Birmingham flights will be Dreamliners next winter.

The parent company, TUI, have 15 Dreamliners on order, of which 7 have been delivered.

Brian

Edited by BrianI

I`m due to fly Birmingham to Barbados return Thomson Airways in February 2016 - Would be great to on a Thomson Boeing 787 Dreamliner !!

Anybody else on Britannia B605 - 26th February 2016 ?

Hubby and I are on B605A - flying from Birmingham on Saturday 27th Feb. :D

Hells

I am flying from BHX on 12th December to BGI and have been informed that it is a Dreamliner we are flying on. At first it was Thomas Cook so I decided to BA from LGW. However, when it changed to Thomson and was told it was a Dreamliner I changed back to BHX (Plus it was closer than Gatwick).

It would take 3 hrs if you take the 5 hrs behind the UK into consideration.

Barbados time is GMT -4hours and they do not change their clocks. From the end of October, when most people travel, the time difference to UK will be 4 hours behind.

The flying time out is nominally 9 hours and 8 hours coming back. These times can change up to an hour either way depending on the strength of the prevailing wind.

Brian

Barbados time is GMT -4hours and they do not change their clocks. From the end of October, when most people travel, the time difference to UK will be 4 hours behind.

The flying time out is nominally 9 hours and 8 hours coming back. These times can change up to an hour either way depending on the strength of the prevailing wind.

Brian

Our clocks alter according though. So at present, it's 12.38 pm In Barbados, 5 hrs behind.

Our clocks alter according though. So at present, it's 12.38 pm In Barbados, 5 hrs behind.

Yes, that's why I said from the end of October, when we put our clocks back, it will be 4 hours behind.

Brian

It would take 3 hrs if you take the 5 hrs behind the UK into consideration.

Erhmm.

How do you work that out? When you take off from Barbados, depending on the time of year, it is already either four or five hours later in the UK, meaning that to do it in 3 hrs, (by the church clock) you would have to land either one or two hours before you took off.

Now that would be neat!!

As for the debate on it being four hours when we are on GMT and 5 hours when we are on summer time:-

How many people do you know who go cruising in the Caribbean in the hurricane season???

It is four hours outside the Hurricane season when anyone with any sense goes cruising in the Caribbean, which is why the ships all come to Europe for our summer .

Edited by Corfe Mixture