!*! FREEDOM !*! Southern Caribbean 6/22/14 -Heavy on photos of 2.0 upgrades & menu

CleveCruiser

Rufus, relaxing with us. It's a tough life for him.

IMG_0017_zps0f798c44.jpg

Chasing crabs, digging to China....

IMG_0011_zpsfa71ca8b.jpg

OK, we like dogs...

P6230162_zps60b50a47.jpg

1:00 – Margaritaville. Last year we popped into Margaritaville for a swim and some people watching. It was more controlled this year than last year! I like to watch the people who try the flow rider. We swam for a bit then headed back to ship. Bit of a line to get on; cold water was offered by staff.

IMG_0144_zpsd257e8ae.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsc200e0cd.jpg

2:00 – all showered and clean! With four people cleaning up in one cabin, my husband and I go to the Spa to shower. It is so close to our rooms (1061/1063), nice and clean, well-stocked, and the showers are so large! Take your own washcloths, as they have towels, but no washcloths. They have the same soap and shampoo as in the stateroom; so bring conditioner too, if you use it. I think I have photos on a later day.

2:15 – sailing away!

3:15 – Lunch on Lido. We had Guys burgers, (of Guy Fieri fame!). Delicious. And some dessert-okay.

DSC03522_zpsd4267e1f.jpg

DSC03524_zpsa621a54a.jpg

DSC03523_zps50ba7cee.jpg

3:45 – Victoriana Theater. Hasbro show; it was okay. It must be a lot of fun for the people who are involved and their families, but as a form of entertainment, I like a real show. (Skip Lyons sighting; more on him later) Headed back to stateroom to prepare for photo session.

IMG_0180_zpsc26641ca.jpg

5:00 – Pixels. Met with Ivaylo (‘ee-via-lo’) Dimitrov for graduation photo session. He says “Come-come…you get in picture too mommy”, me, “Ivaylo…I am in grubby shorts and a t-shirt.” “Don't worry. I have photo shop.” It would take a LOT more than photo shop for me to look good in a picture with my eighteen-year-old wearing a prom gown with her hair and make up done! That session took a full hour.

My DH was recruited to be a gaffer (is that what a gaffer does?)

DSC03536_zps1b083277.jpg

6:00 – Lido deck, big screen. Dive-in movie: Divergent. Sun setting behind ship is beautiful (makes it kind of hard to see movie…but we press on! If you watch a movie on the Lido deck, 1) bring a hair wrap or towel or something, it is windy…and large strands of hair will make you think you are watching a different kind of movie. 2) they hide (not really - just had to ask around to find it) the popcorn behind the Blue Iguana cantina. I heard rumors of Dive-in movie blankets, but never saw/found them.

A lot of people took advantage of the movies! It was fun.

DSC03560_zps2a499eae.jpg

Took a tail picture...always on a quest to get that elusive, perfect picture of the tail, ya know?! A work in progress...I have seen some amazing tail

pictures.

DSC03555_zps06c13201.jpg

8:20 – Chic Dining room. YTD. Alex’s station is full, it is Danny again who regales us with stories of his spicy diet and poor digestion issues when he returns to India. The food was very good, but no real WOW dishes, a big factor is -that I am not really hungry either. Forced everyone to wait AGAIN while I snapped food shots…

DSC03563_zps6af406ed.jpg

Penne Mariscos

DSC03570_zpsc6625345.jpg

I think this is the jerked pork loin

DSC03568_zps78dc640b.jpg

A Study in Sushi

DSC03566_zps5ff37e67.jpg

MDR; Dessert

DSC03577_zps68141a68.jpg

I AM flipping these in photobucket and they LOOK flipped, but here ---they are sideways. Can anyone help?

Warm fig date and cinnamon cake

DSC03576_zps04c2a59b.jpg

Lemon cake

DSC03575_zpse5a3bf99.jpg

10:00 – Stateroom. No shows for us. Sorry Seth, I know you missed us (stalkers):D. Packing for La Romana. Early night.

Day 4: June 25 – Dominican Republic, La Ramona

6:30 – can't sleep anymore. Secret deck is locked due to high winds. Still going 21 knots. Went to Lido deck for breakfast.

7:15 – everyone is up now. Plan- meet Kaitlyn from CC on gangway closest to shore at 9:15 for Seavis tour.

9:15 – on gang way as planned (off of deck “0”).

Dancers on Pier

P6240190_zps3a9f436b.jpg

Met with our group (about 25 of us). It is the usual gauntlet of tour sellers and taxi hawkers on the pier. Seavis is very clear about where to go and what to say at the port. They are very good about sending e-mails and giving enough information. We asked people in uniform the way to find the taxi stand, they were very helpful.

The taxi stand in the background

IMG_0008_zpsffa863d8-1.jpg

We were in our taxi by 9:30. We all sighed, secure in our a/c vans. That went pretty smoothly. There were three taxis for our group and they arrived at Bayahibe beach by 10.

IMG_0024_zpsd0a9e9dc-1.jpg

10:00 – Seavis is a well-organized tour group. Their staff speaks about six languages! There tour stand at Bayahibe Beach is clean and well organized. They have clean flush-toilet bathrooms available. They have wrist bands prepared so you know which boat you are on and who your tour guide is. Our guide was Robert (who I insisted on calling Roberto for some reason, sounds more exotic I guess!).

Loading up the boats

P6240194_zps7bc2a6bf-1.jpg

Organizing and getting us to our boats. The ones with two very large engines!

IMG_0032_zps16855015-1.jpg

By 10:00 we were in boat #2, which could hold 30 guests. We had 29 guests two drivers and Roberto(;)) in ours. It is a bit crowded. The seats are made to seat two and with life jackets on…really are sized to fit one and a half!

My niece, loving the speed boat!

P6250315_zpsf3b8c92c-1.jpg

Robert(o) pointing out things along the way on our way out of the marina area.

P6240197_zpsdf2923eb-1.jpg

There is about a 20-30 minute ride to the “rocks of Penon,” caves that were used by the Tainos people. We stopped for some photos and some local lore. The speed boat is fast, and fun. It is more of an amusement park ride than a jack hammer of discomfort. Less bouncy in back.

IMG_0072_zps1a54ffee-1.jpg

P6240216_zps0a2b7899-1.jpg

They paused so we could see some Frigate birds hunting in the area:

IMG_0064_zpsc74fda3d-1.jpg

Off to Saona island! Catuano beach is a private beach for Seavis. Beautiful beach. Adirondack chairs, hammocks, loungers, and shade available.

IMG_0095_zpsf45c5a76.jpg

The sea water is pretty murky. The sea floor is more clay-like than sandy; it is soft, but once it is stirred up; you cannot see to snorkel.

IMG_0097_zpse685b54a.jpg

This stuff is everywhere!

IMG_0113_zps41f47a02.jpg

I tried to swim out to the pier and it proved a bit too much of a challenge, and I also had limited time. It did clear up the farther out I got.

The creative staff tried to lure away some of the insects from lunch:

IMG_0163_zps1a7b4f91.jpg

11:45 – Lunch. The layout was good, fruit, vegetables, rice and beans, pasta salad, chicken, and pork was good. We all went back for more of the pork and rice & beans. Drinks were flowing freely from the cute “boat bar”. They were small cups, but you could get as much as you wanted.

IMG_0146_zps8c1b38b6.jpg

IMG_0152_zps4364b3ae.jpg

P6240239_zpsddf690f6-1.jpg

IMG_0154_zpsc7cc787b.jpg

There were some locals, trying to sell items; they were not pushy. "Just call me 'Looky-looky', I give you best price! " They were nice.

IMG_0157_zps637eb001.jpg

This is about how close I got to the pier!

IMG_0170_zps380f87f0.jpg

12:30 – back on boat.

Stop at “Piscina Natural”, what they call the natural swimming pool. A sand bar with waist deep water. We were there at the end of June and the water was the perfect temperature. What a great time. Saw lots of Bahama starfish. Roberto (Heehee) educated us on the starfish and their physiology. He taught us not to keep them out of water, yah?, just “peek” them out for a quick photo, yah? so they don't suffer. Very caring and considerate of the environment. They offered drinks, cake, juice and pop. Roberto’s family member, a cute young girl helped us find starfish. I would have liked to spend a lot more time here.

IMG_0220_zps1ba1c514.jpg

IMG_0233_zps87001d1d.jpg

P6250294_zps51e56dc2-1.jpg

P6250275_zpsef1a0248-1.jpg

1:30 – back on boat. Left sandbar. Raced other boats back to Bayahibe.

Everyone had a great time...and it's back at the marina.

P6240258_zpsa88a0bc9-1.jpg

2:00 – back at Seavis’ stand. One member of our group had some sort of sting on her thigh..perhaps a jelly fish? Perhaps a disgruntled starfish? The Seavis people had vinegar for her to apply. Suddenly had an urge for french fries.

Our taxi (#8) was late. Many phone calls in foreign languages with angry tones were conducted by the office staff. They stayed with us until our taxi arrived. We amused ourselves by watching the busy beach and listening to the Seavis people berate whoever was responsible for taxi #8! Again, it was nice they had a flush toilet, and running water to rinse your feet off. We were back at the port by 2:20.

A word about Seavis. They are a classy operation. So well run. It is a shame that Carnival is building a new port on the North side of DR and Seavis will no longer be an option for Carnival cruisers. Book them while you can!!!

2:20 – Port, easy boarding onto ship. Mad rush to shower and relax for a bit.

IMG_0267_zpsb838616a.jpg

4-5:30 – I walked around with my youngest, snapping pics of areas I hand not been to yet. Mini-golf, basketball court, whale tail, camp ocean. The others took it easy or napped.

Here you go.... a hodge-podge of the Freedom....

Camp Ocean reception....

DSC03681_zps7f16d95d.jpg

Camp Ocean, the ceiling is so cool...

DSC03688_zpsd26df1ad.jpg

The Bookville area...

DSC03682_zpsa52b4592.jpg

Inside the bookville area...

DSC03684_zps443b89c9.jpg

Continuing with the hodge-podge of photos...!

Spa..... hair and nails?!

DSC03674_zps1626f064.jpg

Gym, Jacuzzi and Thalasso Pool...

DSC03667_zpseb233c58.jpg

Gym.... (it was quite large, I was impressed! A LOT of equipment.)

DSC03666_zpsdb71d3c8.jpg

Spa Shower.... (see why I like it better than the stateroom shower?!)

DSC03665_zps4842e14c.jpg

Steam room.... (Why? I think I could have tolerated it for about two minutes!)

DSC03663_zps09861ae6.jpg

Deck 12; Man is it windy! You better not be competitive if you play mini-golf, cause that ball is blowing WHERE EVER it wants to !!!

DSC03644_zpsb24fc000.jpg

How's this tail photo?

DSC03637_zpsfbd07b6b.jpg

The Jogging track (we weren't). Me and my guide. The kids knew their way around the ship on Day one!

DSC03632_zpsa97533a4.jpg

Just for your information.....

DSC03650_zps0fbb3f71.jpg

Does anyone ever use these? Lido deck shower.

DSC03589_zpse7f0e28e.jpg

The tables by Guys Burgers are all unique doodles by Guy....

DSC03588_zps901e26a5.jpg

Last of the miscellaneous pics for today; they were taking the kids pictures with the characters tonight...very cute and I bribed/forced/coerced family members into posing for a snap....

DSC03692_zps2bc87376.jpg

The identies of some had to be protected....

1ffe6795-0c09-473b-ad6f-7d1513394fa8_zps6b1909bd.jpg

5:45 – Chic Dining Room; slow and relaxed dinner till 7:30.

DSC03702_zpse7ef560a.jpg

Chilld peach creme soup (SOOOOoooo good).

DSC03705_zps265c9efc.jpg

Smoked duck and carmelized orange.

DSC03704_zps79114235.jpg

Braised lamb shank in burgundy sauce.

DSC03710_zpsa42ed608.jpg

Assorted Seafood Newburg style

DSC03709_zps73cc4ae7.jpg

Dessert Menu: Forced everyone to wait as usual while I snapped food shots…

DSC03712_zps817059c2.jpg

We totally glutted ourselves on delicious “bitter and blanc” as we heard it may not be on the American Table menu, an awful shame. Look at that crispy pastry...that creamy sauce...that melty dark chocolate....

DSC03716_zps5caf9193.jpg

7:30 – Balcony; casual time to digest all that dessert! Chatted with my sister and her girls.

9:00 – Scotts Piano Bar; Seth Gibson. What can I say…by now we all have a crush on Seth. He is universally appealing. My youngest, my 18-year-old, my nieces, my sister, myself and my husband…all enamored. LOL. He is cute and funny and talented. After 11:00 his show is adult only and boy….it IS adult only! We had to push the starry-eyed young ones out. Some very funny stuff was sung in that very, very blue bar.

10:00 – Victoriana. Love and marriage show. I always love this show; it is usually quite funny.

I will take a moment to talk about Skip Lyons, cruise director. If you love him...skip this paragraph. If you want to post a different opinion...I will listen to your input.

Now a CD will not make or break a cruise for me, but they certainly can enhance it. It felt like Skip was saying the same exact lines... during the same exact show... at the same exact time... as last week... He was not bad, just not….good. I guess I was spoiled by “K”arl on the last cruise (he was very visible and hosted many fun things, like the THRILLER dance class). Like I said, he did not impact my fun, but he did not enhance it either. Hope I didn't come across as mean... Just laying it out there...my opinion on Skip.

DSC03733_zps72eb68a1.jpg

Thanks for the review! I board in 4 days, 10ish hours & im dying of excitement over here so I'm loving the review!

Thanks.... so excited for you! Have a great time. I think you will have Seth still! He's so dreamy! LOL

Enjoy your cruise.

I will take a moment to talk about Skip Lyons, cruise director. If you love him...skip this paragraph. If you want to post a different opinion...I will listen to your input.

Now a CD will not make or break a cruise for me, but they certainly can enhance it. It felt like Skip was saying the same exact lines... during the same exact show... at the same exact time... as last week... He was not bad, just not….good. I guess I was spoiled by “K”arl on the last cruise (he was very visible and hosted many fun things, like the THRILLER dance class). Like I said, he did not impact my fun, but he did not enhance it either. Hope I didn't come across as mean... Just laying it out there...my opinion on Skip.

We had Karl with a K on two separate cruises - one in 2007 and another just before he left Carnival last year. We enjoyed him immensely both times - but we found his routine very similar - he was still doing the exact same things. We did not let it bother us - after all how could he possibly come up with new stuff all the time.

We will be on Freedom later this summer, and I am loving this review.

CleveCruiser, your review has me so excited to be sailing the Freedom in 9 days!!! Your photos have reminded me just how much I love cruising and I promise, I'm as excited right now as I was the first time I cruised. It never gets old to me.:D:D

Thank you, CleveCruiser for your very thoughtful and thorough review. Your photos are fantastic! I will be sailing Freedom soon and am really enjoying seeing the upgrades. I have sailed Freedom twice in the past, but not since 2011.

Great job!

We had Karl with a K on two separate cruises - one in 2007 and another just before he left Carnival last year. We enjoyed him immensely both times - but we found his routine very similar - he was still doing the exact same things. We did not let it bother us - after all how could he possibly come up with new stuff all the time.

We will be on Freedom later this summer, and I am loving this review.

Thank you, for posting! I think I should not have even put that in here...it was a review of Freedom. It was a perception of delivery I guess. I am looking forward to the changes with the entertainment director and cruise director (two positions) so the CD can spend more time with passengers.

CleveCruiser, your review has me so excited to be sailing the Freedom in 9 days!!! Your photos have reminded me just how much I love cruising and I promise, I'm as excited right now as I was the first time I cruised. It never gets old to me.:D:D

I am newer to cruising and I just love it! What's not to love! A wonderful room, great food, beautiful vistas, cheerful staff, activities, ports, travel.... LOL -gushing

Thank you, CleveCruiser for your very thoughtful and thorough review. Your photos are fantastic! I will be sailing Freedom soon and am really enjoying seeing the upgrades. I have sailed Freedom twice in the past, but not since 2011.

Great job!

Enjoying your review! We plan on sailing on Freedom next April when she is in Galveston.

I hope you have a blast on your cruise. I love cruising with my sister. We are trying to get other family members to cruise with us next year.... We are being very persuasive!

Have a great cruise!