jogging track on Breakaway

dorito6778

You will find lots of obstacles on it, especially where it passes the climbing wall (if that's open).

I tend to walk, and found the waterfront was the best place for being able to keep moving. I don't think you are allowed to run there though.

If you go early (before 9am) there are less obstacles in the way such as the deck chairs. Also the earlier you go there will be less foot traffic passing through. We were always out there no later then 8am. After 9am it started to get increasingly busier with foot traffic passing through and people putting claims on their deck chairs.

It's not the ideal running track but you can make it work... we did. :)

Eight times around = 1 mile.

I used a lap counter that I picked up at Target to keep track of my laps/miles.

In my video link below starting at about 2:17 there are a few clips of my daughter running on the jogging track. Enjoy! :)

Does the waterfront go the entire way around the ship to walk?

No. It goes round the aft, but just as far as the foreword stairs.

You have two options. Some people would walk to where it ends and then turn back. I went for cutting across the ship past the stairs to complete the loop.

No. It goes round the aft, but just as far as the foreword stairs.

You have two options. Some people would walk to where it ends and then turn back. I went for cutting across the ship past the stairs to complete the loop.

Wow that disappointing. I guess it's not a money making venue so newer ships are doing away with the Promenade walking deck. Thank you all for responding.

Anyone know anything about the pool depth?

My husband ran some miles each day on the Getaway. He'd go out there around 5:00am most days, because if he wasn't finished by 7:00, it would be impossible for him to keep his pace due to walkers on the track, or just random others heading for loungers, etc. If you are a serious runner, beware. It is so skinny, and in many places there isn't enough room to go around people.

However we are going on Epic next, and he is already frustrated looking at the jogging track there, which simply goes up and down one side of the ship. Tight curves, anyone? Egads. It makes the ones on Breakaway/Getaway look great. I told him he should just run on a treadmill that week.

Wow that disappointing. I guess it's not a money making venue so newer ships are doing away with the Promenade walking deck. Thank you all for responding.

Anyone know anything about the pool depth?

I didn't find the fact that it doesn't go all the way round to be a problem at all. The front bit of decks that go all the way round is generally the worst bit anyway. Given the size of the ship, the waterfront isn't far different in length from that on the smaller ships anyway.

Personally, I found it to be a great place to walk. Having to cut through the ship, or turn around, didn't change that at all.

I am a big user of ship running tracks. The Breakaway track is adequate, it is open "limited" hours which is just as well as it would be unusable during daylight hours - You really have to run early (before 9 AM or so) - It is also open late but I never ran in the evening. The rock climbing wall & participants don't interfere in the morning since the wall is closed. The lounge encroaches a bit on the front port corner of the track so when it gets busy the corner gets congested. Of course when the pools and sun deck get going the track is useless so NCL smartly just restricts track use to early and late.

All things considered, the Breakaway track is fine, and quite frankly our Bahamas sailing in April had very few regular runners so I couldn't be too critical of the hours limitations. As on the Pearl and the Jade, when walkers / picture takers figured out there was/were runner(s) present they made efforts to avoid them.

thanks for all the info! i'll definitely miss the track on the Disney Fantasy. it looped around the entire ship on the 5th deck. It was so long that it was only 2.5 times around in a mile!

i always run first thing in the AM....but first thing is totally dependent on when i wake up. i'm not setting an alarm at all on this trip! so if i get a few runs in, then ok. :)

Let me start by saying I had an awesome time on Breakaway. Loved it. Fantastic week. My very first full-length cruise, and it was incredible.

That said...

... the "running track" was like many other things on this ship. Squeezed into an area too small to be useful so that more cabins could be squeezed on board. This is a recurring theme throughout the ship. Bliss Lounge? On the Gem, a smaller boat, it's sprawling and well-appointed. On the Breakaway, it's small and feels like a box.

The running track was pretty much unuseable at any point after people woke up. It went through some crazy popular areas of the ship. By day two, I got frustrated and accepted that if I didn't wanna be seen as that annoying guy who wanted people to get out of his way, I'd just have to stick to the treadmills.

Also, I know it SAYS that 5 laps equal a mile but... the first day, I ran 14 laps with NO problem. At home, I start getting winded after 1.5 miles. So I'm not so sure about that... LOL

Richard/Tralfie

Also, I know it SAYS that 5 laps equal a mile but... the first day, I ran 14 laps with NO problem. At home, I start getting winded after 1.5 miles. So I'm not so sure about that... LOL

Richard/Tralfie

8 laps is a mile, 5 laps to 1K. sooo...25 laps if i want to run a 5k at sea. LOL

I am a big user of ship running tracks. The Breakaway track is adequate, it is open "limited" hours which is just as well as it would be unusable during daylight hours - You really have to run early (before 9 AM or so) - It is also open late but I never ran in the evening. The rock climbing wall & participants don't interfere in the morning since the wall is closed. The lounge encroaches a bit on the front port corner of the track so when it gets busy the corner gets congested. Of course when the pools and sun deck get going the track is useless so NCL smartly just restricts track use to early and late.

All things considered, the Breakaway track is fine, and quite frankly our Bahamas sailing in April had very few regular runners so I couldn't be too critical of the hours limitations. As on the Pearl and the Jade, when walkers / picture takers figured out there was/were runner(s) present they made efforts to avoid them.

This is disappointing to hear. I like to run either around 10:00 am or around 1:00pm when we are cruising.

This is disappointing to hear. I like to run either around 10:00 am or around 1:00pm when we are cruising.

That was my plan, too. And let me tell you... it's darn near impossible. The track is narrow, in a wildly popular area and, after about 8 a.m., crowded with people. Save your sanity... use the treadmills for the week!

Richard/Tralfie