Website Price Mistake

purplerob255

Does anyone have any experience with P&O when they mess up their prices on their website (prices set too low), whether or not they still honour the booking.

I look forward to your thoughts

Regards

Rob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

No experience as such, but wonder if they may act according to whether it was obviously a mistake - like a cruise for £11.59 as an extreme example.

There is some contract law (Sale of Goods?) which I'm sure mentions cases where it would be deemed a reasonable/credible price/error or a very silly/blaringly obvious error and that it would have been obvious to the purchaser that it was a very silly price and therefore a mistake.

Once, the Ibis chain made a mistake with us and offered us an early deal at the price of the year before. This was still deemed an offer they could genuinely make. Anyway, they honoured that.

But I think they wouldn't have had to honour it if it was obviously an incredible offer.

Only my views.....

Edited by Scriv

When you book, you receive confirmation with the price you paid, deposit and final payment.

If you have that, would that not be sufficient?

We booked in February and the price has changed since then. Unless you think yours is really underpriced, it is probably normal fluctuation of prices.

This will be our fifth cruise with P&O and was a saver price, so I have all the paperwork and the price has been paid in full.

The only things I am awaiting are the E-Tickets and Luggage Labels.

There definitely was a pricing mistake, I only waited this long to see if anyone else booked and put up a thread here as the site had the price up for about 2 hours, then took the site down and corrected it.

Which price has P&O put on the booking confirmation? Was it a silly price? Have they been in touch with you about it - or you with them?

The silly price is on the confirmation.

No they haven't been in touch, only the automated "thank you for booking etc" and I haven't contacted them about it.

I wonder if it went through? Have you looked at your Cruise Personaliser under the Booking Ref?

Its on the cruise Personaliser and my girlfriends loyalty number was wrong at the time of booking but they have now changed it to the correct one.

My understanding of consumer law is that the initial price is an 'invitation to buy' and any error can be corrected at this stage. Once paid and confirmed, it is then a binding contract.

Instead of contacting P&O, which I certainly would not do, post your question on the Money Savings Expert forum - you should get plenty of advice on there (from memory, there is a section named consumer law, or similar).

My understanding of consumer law is that the initial price is an 'invitation to buy' and any error can be corrected at this stage. Once paid and confirmed, it is then a binding contract.

Instead of contacting P&O, which I certainly would not do, post your question on the Money Savings Expert forum - you should get plenty of advice on there (from memory, there is a section named consumer law, or similar).

Ah good thinking I'll do that.

My understanding was the same as yours but.........

I think the law would supersede their own T's and C's, whether or not they would or could go against them is still an uncertain quantity.

Does anyone have any experience with P&O when they mess up their prices on their website (prices set too low), whether or not they still honour the booking.

I look forward to your thoughts

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob

This happened to us a few years ago, although not with P&O,when searching for our cruise we found an incredible deal for a suite on FO at a rediculously low price. We booked and paid in full and received our confirmation etc. A few days later we received a phone call from PR at FO explaining there was a 'glitch' on their system and the cruise we booked should have been approx £6000 extra. BUT, the lady explained they had spoken with directors and they would honour our booking. We could not beleive our luck. Good old FO.

Good Luck with your booking.

Hi Rob

This happened to us a few years ago, although not with P&O,when searching for our cruise we found an incredible deal for a suite on FO at a rediculously low price. We booked and paid in full and received our confirmation etc. A few days later we received a phone call from PR at FO explaining there was a 'glitch' on their system and the cruise we booked should have been approx £6000 extra. BUT, the lady explained they had spoken with directors and they would honour our booking. We could not beleive our luck. Good old FO.

Good Luck with your booking.

Haha similar to us.

But we only got a £3500 pound discount :-)

I booked a land based holiday off the net few years back to Austria with Thomsons knowing it was a pricing error on the advertised net price compared to brochure price. I paid my balance and invoice with all booking conditions came with still the pricing error. I made a few discreet enquiries and asked a solicitor friend and was told that there is no such thing as a binding contract and if they realised their mistake at anytime before holiday they could demand proper full price or cancel holiday. Was told problem was that if they found out close to date of holiday and cancelled it would there be any availability at any other hotels in that village for those particular dates. With this in mind I contacted Thomsons telling them of their error and they wrote back saying the holiday had been cancelled and all monies refunded not even a thanks for letting us know.