Is this the best pocket ever made ?

An article in The New York Times declared the Sony RX-100 to be ' the best pocket camera ever made' . So is it true or just typical media hype designed to sell cameras ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/technology/personaltech/a-pocket-camera-even-pro-photographers-can-love-state-of-the-art.html?_r=0

Internet searches for 'the best pocket camera ever made' revealed another article. This article had pictures to back up its claim. The pictures were taken at a concert of ' the world's greatest rock and roll band ' , The Rolling Stones . In other words , this was a marriage made in hype heaven.

http://petapixel.com/2014/01/06/shooting-rolling-stones-best-pocket-camera-ever-made/

Well the still photos taken at face value are very impressive . The pictures were taken with a Sony RX - 100 II , so I guess that the moniker ' best pocket camera ever made' was about as enduring as one of Mick Jagger's marriages. Well that was then and I wanted a better pocket camera now ! . In a glowing review in DPreview , the NEW Sony RX -1000 III was awarded a 82% rating and a Gold award.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3

The thing that finally sold me was the Pop-up electronic viewfinder , which is a necessity in the bright, Florida sun. It arrived in the mail last night so I took a couple of pics while the battery was charging.

SonyRX100005_zps31deba19.jpg

The Pop-up EVF

SonyRX100006_zpsb20de563.jpg

It also has an articulating screen that flips 180 degrees for the selfie generation , something that is lacking in my SLRs.

SonyRX100010_zps5b51fdaa.jpg

I hope to wake up the "baby" in a little bit and start shooting some pictures/video. My question is , does anybody have experience using this camera ?

Have the camera for a couple of weeks, love it, just right for your pocket. This picture taken F2.8 at ISO 800. indoor low light and no flash, love the fast lens. Have not tried video yet. Bought my Sony AG-R2 grip, camera really needs this grip. Also bought the Gariz XS-RX100M3BK Genuine Leather Half Case Black for Sony RX100III /w AG-R2, adds a little extra grip and protection, which I like. back up for my Sony A6000 lol.

GREAT CAMERA !!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gariz-Leather-half-case-Sony-RX100III-RX100m3-XS-CHRX100M3BK-Black-/181467585114?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item2a404f9a5a#ht_8384wt_760

DSC00041_zpsbcc8c67a.jpg

TOM :cool:

One of the great things about this camera it does have a view finder, see pictures above, has a pop-up view finder and works great. I use it all the time, prefer over the screen on the back.

Tom :cool:

You're good on the viewfinder and the stabilization with the RX100III...no hotshoe though. It's a pretty packed little camera feature-wise. I don't have one myself - but a relative of mine just got one, and he loves it. I've got the large cousin that shares the same 1" sensor, the RX10 - as well as my A6000 mirrorless and my DSLR. Obviously, I don't mind larger cameras, so pocketable wasn't a big consideration for me! That 1" sensor is really a great performer for the size.

Have the camera for a couple of weeks, love it, just right for your pocket. This picture taken F2.8 at ISO 800. indoor low light and no flash, love the fast lens. Have not tried video yet. Bought my Sony AG-R2 grip, camera really needs this grip. Also bought the Gariz XS-RX100M3BK Genuine Leather Half Case Black for Sony RX100III /w AG-R2, adds a little extra grip and protection, which I like. back up for my Sony A6000 lol.

GREAT CAMERA !!!!

TOM :cool:

Great kitty shot !! Is it a Tom , TOM ? Thanks for the advice on the grips. I ordered the AG-R2 on amazon a week ago and they say 3-5 weeks. The Gariz is in the mail from amazon. Will the grip bulge on the Gariz suffice until then :confused:

Great kitty shot !! Is it a Tom , TOM ? Thanks for the advice on the grips. I ordered the AG-R2 on amazon a week ago and they say 3-5 weeks. The Gariz is in the mail from amazon. Will the grip bulge on the Gariz suffice until then :confused:

He"s a tom named Woody. Funny, received my AG-R2 on Ebay (3 days). Ordered the Gariz from Korea (not in stock here at the time) takes 2 weeks. grip on the Gariz should be ok, give it a go. You will love the Gariz half case, good quality, also use on my Sony A6000 for the extra grip and protection.

Also bought the GGS rear protective screen for the back. Wish they would have it reverse to protect the screen while in a case.

Tom :cool:

Edited by c230k

There has never been or there ever will be a "best" camera. There are best camera so solve a specific problem or to take the best pictures in a specific situation but there will never be a single "best". From what I have heard and I am looking at this one, it is an excellent camera except for the limited zoom range but it is not the best.

DON

At a better price point, I'd consider the RX100 III as my pocket/back-up/throw-down. There are plenty of times when a pocket rocket would be much handier than a full-blown DSLR. But to me, US$800 is a bit high for a secondary piece. Still, the low-light performance looks really, really good.

At a better price point, I'd consider the RX100 III as my pocket/back-up/throw-down. There are plenty of times when a pocket rocket would be much handier than a full-blown DSLR. But to me, US$800 is a bit high for a secondary piece. Still, the low-light performance looks really, really good.

My problem is that my pocket carry camera must have a good eye level viewfinder. I can not stand holding my camera out at the end of my arms and taking a picture with the LCD especially in the bright sunshine. My camera must also have close to 100% viewing on the eye level viewfinder which is one reason why I will not buy one with an eye level tunnel optical viewfinder. This eliminates the Canon G series which are otherwise good cameras.

My choices are very limited.

DON

Thanks for the correction.

Now I know why it did not come up on a sellers website. I also had stabilization and hot shoe as those features I "feel" I need.

The camera does include Optical Image Stabilization . B&H did a good review and side by side comparison of the RX-100 II and the RX-100 III.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-iii-digital-camera

With it's faster lens (f /2.8 at full zoom) I haven't needed to use the flash or a hot shoe. The view finder was the selling point for me. It's diopter correction means I don't need reading glasses to use this compact camera - even in the brightest sunlight.

• 2 months later...

Bumping the thread to mention the newly-announced Canon G7 X has the same sensor and most of the same features for US$100 less. The pop-up optical viewfinder - which I thought was pretty pointless - is replaced with a flash. It should also rival the Sony's low-light performance with the DIGIC 6 processor. Amazon has it scheduled for a 10/20 availability.

It is obviously not the "best pocket camera ever made". No item anywhere is ever the best. You need to define your selection parameters and then determine what item best meets your specific needs.

The RX III is certainly an excellent camera but it also lacks some things that many of us consider important - no hot shoe and very limited zoom range are 2 items that made me decide not to buy one. I did stay with Sony however as I bought a Sony A6000 which was the best for me at my budget range. I could have lived w/o the hot shoe on the RX III but I could not have lived w the limited zoom range.

DON

Bumping the thread to mention the newly-announced Canon G7 X has the same sensor and most of the same features for US$100 less. The pop-up optical viewfinder - which I thought was pretty pointless - is replaced with a flash. It should also rival the Sony's low-light performance with the DIGIC 6 processor. Amazon has it scheduled for a 10/20 availability.

The pop-up viewfinder on the RX-100 III is an electronic viewfinder with SVGA resolution and 100% coverage. Though one isn't offered for the G7-X, the EVF-DC1 accessory electronic viewfinder Canon offered for the G1-X was $200+ which would explain the price difference.

The Sony's longer battery life, 50% faster burst rate and 24p video mode (important to videophiles for some reason) may also be deciding factors when comparing.

On the other side, the Canon has a longer zoom range and of course, it's a Canon which is important to some.

Dave

Edited by pierces

The big photo show is coming up in about a month at the Javitts Center in NYC.. looks like I am going to be very busy there this year with so many changes, so many things to look at first hand. Still not sure if I can part with my 5D Mark II and a couple of zooms.....but my back wants me to do just that...

The big photo show is coming up in about a month at the Javitts Center in NYC.. looks like I am going to be very busy there this year with so many changes, so many things to look at first hand. Still not sure if I can part with my 5D Mark II and a couple of zooms.....but my back wants me to do just that...

I switched from a dSLR with an 18-200 zoom to a Sony A6000. My whole photo kit now weighs less than the body of my dSLR. It is wonderful.

DON