Rci auto tipping

:rolleyes:

As always i will cancel my so called auto tips,and tip the people i want to.You tip the way you want and i will tip the way i want.Feel free to spend your money the way you please.
Edited by awhcruiser

I really do not understand this obsession that Americans have with obligatory tipping. Whatever happened to doing a job and getting paid for what you do? Why should I pay to eat a meal in a restaurant and then have to give the person who plonked the plate in front of me, a tip for just doing his job? That said, if I receive a really good service and feel that the waiter has gone out of his or her way to advise me on my choice and has given me an excellent service, then I'm happy to leave him or her something extra for the service I received. I don't see why I am forced to pay an exorbitant amount of money on top of what I have already been charged for what I am buying. My husband and I chose My Time Dining and had to pay tips up front for the service that we might or might not receive on the forthcoming cruise. We never went into the MDR and ate all our meals in the Windjammer. There was virtually no "service" up there and meals were often eaten surrounded by other people's dirty plates that were often left on the table for extended periods after they had left the table. There were several men in dark uniforms wandering about, who were presumably supervising the area but they never seemed to interact with the staff who were employed to clear the tables. Quite often these young people left dirty tables that other people were trying to sit down at to eat and went to clear dirty tables that were empty. They didn't appear to have had any training nor seemed to be working to any system and often quite happily wiped all the debris from the tables onto the floor. I'm not sure whether they are entitled to any tips but they certainly didn't seem to be offering much in the way of service. I worked in the hospitality industry for more than 20 years and took pride in my work and got paid for what I did. If a customer gave me a tip, then it was greatly appreciated but not expected as a matter of course. Obligatory tipping gives the staff no incentive to do anything as they'll get it whether they work or not. Earning your tips from giving a good service is how it should be as it sorts out the good workers from the not so good workers.

Completely agree. You're not alone. If the crew is so wonderful, then why can't RCI pay them a just and deserving wage for commensurate work.

I hope everyone understands the auto tip is optional. Not required. And as such the service is already included in the cost of the cruise. There is no service charge either, just an easy way to tip. Do what you want. No pressure. And no guilt.

You don't list where you are from, but in case you are unaware waiters in the US are paid considerably less than minimum wage dictated for most employees, and are expected to make tips in order to live. In other words US employers do not pay a just and deserving wage to their waiters.

I have seen an RCI employment contract; waiters are paid US$50 per MONTH, and are expected to make money to live on from tips. I'll believe that you truly believe that service is already included when I see you live on $50 per month.

Would I be happier if RCI paid just wages and if "gratuities" were not in fact the pay of their employees? Yes I would, but of course would require higher prices for cruises. Then at least I would no longer have to listen to all the justifications people give in an attempt to convince themselves they aren't being cheap (believe me, you are not convincing the rest of us).

You don't list where you are from, but in case you are unaware waiters in the US are paid considerably less than minimum wage dictated for most employees, and are expected to make tips in order to live. In other words US employers do not pay a just and deserving wage to their waiters.

I have seen an RCI employment contract; waiters are paid US$50 per MONTH, and are expected to make money to live on from tips. I'll believe that you truly believe that service is already included when I see you live on $50 per month.

Would I be happier if RCI paid just wages and if "gratuities" were not in fact the pay of their employees? Yes I would, but of course would require higher prices for cruises. Then at least I would no longer have to listen to all the justifications people give in an attempt to convince themselves they aren't being cheap (believe me, you are not convincing the rest of us).

Raise the price of the cruise,and stop the gratuities games.Also what makes you think anyone would feel the need to try to convince you of anything.Maybe you should spend more time worrying about what you do.Do you really think you mean anything to Royal Caribbean. Funny maybe you are trying to convince yourself you are important.Believe me you are not convincing the rest of us. :D :rolleyes: Have a great next cruise.

Actually under the Federal Wage and a Hour Laws tipped employees are still guaranteed minimum wage, however, the employer can use the tips as a credit against the minimum wage. I was a waiter, my kids are doing it while in college. They earn considerably more than minimum wage and deservedly so. And if the MDR deserves my generosity, then it will be offered. Not because their employer pays substandard wages, but because I choose to do it. The ire generated by this topic should be focused on a corporation that doesn't pay fair wages for hard work and ducks it responsibility by setting up their corporation in Liberia to avoid taxes. I'm sure in Liberia $50 a month plus room and board is considered a lavish lifestyle. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well since my posts seem to inexplicably disappear from this forum, I will post this AGAIN.....

These employees are not protected by US minimum wage laws. While they are likely making less than what many Americans would consider acceptable, they may be making more than they would in their home countries.

My opinion is also that the cruise lines need to simply raise their fares to compensate for the gratuity games. I think the cruise lines do what they do so that they can show lower, more competitive fares. My vote is to simply raise the cruise fare and pay the workers a decent salary and stop making guests feel nickel and dimed.

Well since my posts seem to inexplicably disappear from this forum, I will post this AGAIN.....

These employees are not protected by US minimum wage laws. While they are likely making less than what many Americans would consider acceptable, they may be making more than they would in their home countries.

My opinion is also that the cruise lines need to simply raise their fares to compensate for the gratuity games. I think the cruise lines do what they do so that they can show lower, more competitive fares. My vote is to simply raise the cruise fare and pay the workers a decent salary and stop making guests feel nickel and dimed.

A2Mich i agree with you 100%. Have a great next cruise. :)