St. Petersburg Safety?

suni

All I can say is that if I were on a cruise that had scheduled St. Petersburg but switched it to Murmansk I'd be MORE than upset.

OTOH, looking at the map that doesn't seem likely. Murmansk is located up around the top of Scandinavia, and St. P. is a 2 hour flight from Murmansk. The approach by sea is quite different. (Bear in mind that I don't read maps all that well, but that's how it looks.)

We visited Murmansk on the Norway cruise in 2010, and St. Petersburg with Renaissance on a Baltic cruise in 2001. Quite different itineraries.

But St. Petersburg is a special city to visit, and quite frankly Murmansk is not!

Why would Regent make that kind of change? It's an interesting question. I guess we'd need to know more about the itinerary.

I did just go to the Regent website and searched their Baltic itineraries, but didn't see the change. I accept from the experts here that there HAS been a change! I just didn't see it. There was one cruise that included both STP and Murmansk, but that is a 30 day cruise.

Mura

All I can say is that if I were on a cruise that had scheduled St. Petersburg but switched it to Murmansk I'd be MORE than upset.

OTOH, looking at the map that doesn't seem likely. Murmansk is located up around the top of Scandinavia, and St. P. is a 2 hour flight from Murmansk. The approach by sea is quite different. (Bear in mind that I don't read maps all that well, but that's how it looks.)

We visited Murmansk on the Norway cruise in 2010, and St. Petersburg with Renaissance on a Baltic cruise in 2001. Quite different itineraries.

But St. Petersburg is a special city to visit, and quite frankly Murmansk is not!

Why would Regent make that kind of change? It's an interesting question. I guess we'd need to know more about the itinerary.

I did just go to the Regent website and searched their Baltic itineraries, but didn't see the change. I accept from the experts here that there HAS been a change! I just didn't see it. There was one cruise that included both STP and Murmansk, but that is a 30 day cruise.

Mura

We were in both St. Petersburg and Murmansk last month and agree with you 100%. St. Petersburg was wonderful (except for the long drive from the new cruise port) and it was difficult to fill up a 4 hour excursion in Murmansk as they is really nothing to see.