Question about RFID monitoring and Filling the Cups with the Freestyle Machine

We have the CocaCola Freestyle machines where I work (Emory University, aka in some circles "CocaCola U" because of all the money from the Candlers, Woodruffs, et al.) and I often fill my cup with a combination of "diet coke" and "diet cherry coke" because sometimes just "diet cherry coke" can be heavy on the cherry syrup depending upon my mood. DD also likes to mix multiple kinds of punch in what I often consider startling or even frightening combinations.

From the thread about carrying your cups around I have learned that the RFID chips monitor how often you fill your cup and someone commented that if a particular syrup is out on a machine and you press the button any way, you will have to wait 15 minutes before you can try again on another machine or selection. [i'm just going to accept that and move on without getting wound up about it:cool:].

I am deducing from this that I will NOT be able to mix flavors on the machine as in most other places, but will have to select a single pre-mix. Is this correct?:rolleyes: I can live with it, just want to know ahead of time so I don't waste my chance to fill the cup.

I'm also curious as to whether or not the machines indicate when syrup is out. The posts about having to wait suggest that you can't tell what is there, but the machines we have will "grey out" (really just lighten the logo) flavors for which there is no syrup to make the drink. Is this not the case on Royal's machines? I know they make different models, so I am not questioning other posters statements...just trying to make sure I can set the stage for DD before she starts her mixology and gets burned!:D

Thanks!!!

CJ

We have the CocaCola Freestyle machines where I work (Emory University, aka in some circles "CocaCola U" because of all the money from the Candlers, Woodruffs, et al.) and I often fill my cup with a combination of "diet coke" and "diet cherry coke" because sometimes just "diet cherry coke" can be heavy on the cherry syrup depending upon my mood. DD also likes to mix multiple kinds of punch in what I often consider startling or even frightening combinations.

From the thread about carrying your cups around I have learned that the RFID chips monitor how often you fill your cup and someone commented that if a particular syrup is out on a machine and you press the button any way, you will have to wait 15 minutes before you can try again on another machine or selection. [i'm just going to accept that and move on without getting wound up about it:cool:].

I am deducing from this that I will NOT be able to mix flavors on the machine as in most other places, but will have to select a single pre-mix. Is this correct?:rolleyes: I can live with it, just want to know ahead of time so I don't waste my chance to fill the cup.

I'm also curious as to whether or not the machines indicate when syrup is out. The posts about having to wait suggest that you can't tell what is there, but the machines we have will "grey out" (really just lighten the logo) flavors for which there is no syrup to make the drink. Is this not the case on Royal's machines? I know they make different models, so I am not questioning other posters statements...just trying to make sure I can set the stage for DD before she starts her mixology and gets burned!:D

Thanks!!!

CJ

The chip in the cup monitors how many times you use it (must be 15 minute intervals between fill-ups) and not the number of buttons you push at any one time to create your own flavor.

Edited by cruisenfever

Yay! Thanks Patti.

You're welcome. When my husband purchased the cup, he always made a "suicide" with his fill-ups. Some of his combinations were unique!!:D You can control the amounts of each flavor.

Edited by cruisenfever

Just don't lift the cup up to taste in-between flavor choices, or then you will have to wait. Also, on Freedom, the flavors are greyed out when empty.

THAT is very helpful to know about lifting the cup. Thanks!

Also good to know about the greying out!:)

Thanks.

Interesting that in the USA Today article Royal claims the requirement to set the cup flat (so that the RFID chip restriction comes into play) is an attempt to avoid cross-contamination. Other Freestyle machines do not have this restriction yet the health department lets them go...at movie theaters, college cafeterias, the World of Coca Cola, etc. Wonder if this is creative marketing of the RFID chip. It probably DOES cut down on cross-contamination issues, but I'm betting the existing cross-contamination issues are actually already very low. Neither here nor there in reality.

It is helpful for me because I routinely hold the cup closer to the dispensing nozzle in order to avoid the minute splashes coming from the syrups dispensing as they hit the ice. I learned this the hard way with tiny red/pink/brown dots on a white shirt after retrieving a soda (diet cherry coke) at work. And, no, I don't glue myself to the side of the machine, I tend to use lots of ice. I chalk it up to growing up in Florida and attending schools without air conditioning.

Edited by Citizen Jane