Thoughts on parking at pier or shuttle?

ChristinaN

We are driving from Canada to spend 2 nights pre-cruise to tour NYC. We are staying at the Comfort Suites North Bergen. Our hotel offers shuttle service to the port of Bayonne for a small fee. We are traveling with 3 children, ages 7,9 and 10. I'm just wondering if it might be better to drive to the pier or should we stick with the shuttle? Also, is the Comfort Suites a decent choice? Transportation into the city isn't the issue as we've booked a tour that will pick us up directly at the hotel.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

We are driving from Canada to spend 2 nights pre-cruise to tour NYC. We are staying at the Comfort Suites North Bergen. Our hotel offers shuttle service to the port of Bayonne for a small fee. We are traveling with 3 children, ages 7,9 and 10. I'm just wondering if it might be better to drive to the pier or should we stick with the shuttle? Also, is the Comfort Suites a decent choice? Transportation into the city isn't the issue as we've booked a tour that will pick us up directly at the hotel.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

How much are you paying for the hotel for 5 people? It's difficult to find accommodations for five, and almost impossible to find a park/sleep for five people. I'm not keen on the location right on the truck route 1&9, but people seem ok with the hotel. It's not a hotel that lots of cruisers stay at.

Tell us more about the tour you have booked and where they could pick you up - Newark Airport hotels? Secaucus hotels?

What would you do with your car if the hotel shuttled you to Cape Liberty? Could you leave your car for free or is there a charge? Parking for a nine day cruise is $171. This may be worth it since you have to drive back to Canada with three small children when you disembark.

I'm thinking you should also be checking out the Secaucus hotels for five. Folks have left their cars for free at Hyatt Place for the duration of a cruise.

Cost isn't so much an issue, we aren't paying for any of it. Also, family of five rooms aren't an issue as it is a family trip so we are traveling with our inlaws and other family members that can house one of our spawn. ;)

But just as an FYI to others, this is the info that was forwarded to me by my inlaws...

"Drop off shuttle to the cruise port-first 6 people would be free, $15.00 per person for the other 4-and up to 14 days free parking. Room rate is $189.00 per night, includes free breakfast."

I was just more curious about logistics of the port. If we park at the pier then we will need to cover the cost. Can we park then walk over to board the ship with our luggage? Or is it a shuttle from the parking area? I'm also thinking that parking at the port will enable us to get on the road quicker to get home.

Cost isn't so much an issue, we aren't paying for any of it. Also, family of five rooms aren't an issue as it is a family trip so we are traveling with our inlaws and other family members that can house one of our spawn. ;)

But just as an FYI to others, this is the info that was forwarded to me by my inlaws...

"Drop off shuttle to the cruise port-first 6 people would be free, $15.00 per person for the other 4-and up to 14 days free parking. Room rate is $189.00 per night, includes free breakfast."

I was just more curious about logistics of the port. If we park at the pier then we will need to cover the cost. Can we park then walk over to board the ship with our luggage? Or is it a shuttle from the parking area? I'm also thinking that parking at the port will enable us to get on the road quicker to get home.

A hotel in North Bergen that offers a shuttle to Cape Liberty is something new. No one has posted about using this service and it the hotel location is well out of the usual Newark/Bayonne area that most cruisers stay in. I feel really uncomfortable with your choice.

Will your tour company pick up at a Newark Airport hotel? If so, I would be looking at Trinityreservations.com for a park sleep at the Ramada Plaza with Cruiseport transportation and 14 days free parking for $208 tax included for 4 people/room for Aug 13. I would contact Trinity and tell them how many rooms you need since you can only book one at a time on line. For your other night on Aug 12 they offer a park/sleep rate of $132 tax included, so your total cost would be $340/room. Trinity is a reputable consolidator for airport park/sleeps. I have used them and I have communicated with them several times about their offerings at Newark Airport.

I'm betting the $189 rate at Comfort Suites does not include taxes and you would be paying $120 for the shuttle, so the lack of a free breakfast should not be a deal breaker.

Is the return trip from the Bayonne Pier to CI free on their shuttle or on your own - as that's a 13 miles trip and 30+ minutes in traffic. It will cost you an hour or more to pickup your own car at the CI parking lot if you call & their shutttle is idling on standby and need to come over to pickup everyone & then the ride back - more time if the shuttle just left for NYC to drop others off - hence, a very long wait. Aside from gas station w. convenience store & a few fast food places, there's nothing around there - not even a 7-11 or drug store/supermarket chain to walk to (along the side of a busy state highway with cars/trucks/buses zipping by at 45+ mph most of the time) The pro is that you are close to Secacus shopping outlets, I suppose. Nothing decent to eat so chow in NYC before going back

If you drive & park at the pier, you are in your car 10 minutes after clearing customs/immigration with your luggage & everyone, and on your "long' way home - balancing cost, time & convenience, etc.

CI's quoted rates seemed to a bit high (I guess the hidden cost of offering long-term "free" parking & pier shuttle are factored in ...) so as 138east/Carol suggested, you can do better on room costs in that area, IMO (and, I see that she's already done her analysis for you & showed options) ;)

The parking lot is 5 to 10 minutes easy & flat walk to the terminal for check-in, and drivers (your own/hotel shuttle) can drop everyone else off w. luggage, get them to the porters & wait for you to return after parking the car (5 to 10 minutes) before going inside to check-in as a group. Bayonne is an active port and for safety reasons, everyone MUST take a free 5 minute shuttle to the ship & hop on the gangway. With 3 children in tow, my feeling is that it's worth parking next to the ship - here are the pictures to help OP visualize & decide. Enjoy the cruise !

BDA-12041.JPG

BDA-12040.JPG

BDA-12043.jpg

Post back with updates.

I stayed at the Ramada when it was a Holiday Inn with DH, DS, DD, and DGD's who were 6 mos and 3. I called ahead and they blocked me out two connecting rooms with 2 double beds each at the end of the hall on the first floor. This worked really well for our group. It's not the fanciest hotel, but it is a full service hotel with a cafe, restaurant, and popular sports bar. Should be something for everyone there.

Printed directions are a necessity in this area. Parking is gated and the hotel is active 7x24 with flight crews coming and going. Try to book everything through Trinity to get all the free parking you need.

One caveat- the port transportation is through Trinity, not the Ramada. They guarantee transportation for up to 4 people per room, so if you somehow end up with more than 4 people/room, that will be an issue.