cinque terre or lucca/pisa excursion

hsmcruise

I know it is probably like comparing apples to oranges, but I am trying decide

between A cinque terre excursion or one that goes to Lucca & pisa when

I arrive in Livorno on the Ryndam in September. I've been to florence, but

some say you should see the leaning tower of Pisa once. Im sure cinque terre

is beautiful. We are planning on booking a HAL excursion.

Thanks

Personally I'd choose cinque terre. Pisa is extraordinary and worth a look - but that's about it! Cinque terre is beautiful and you can spend hours enjoying the boat ride and scenery. The only slight negative is that the coach ride is rather long. Enjoy whichever.you choose!

We took NCL's Cinque Terre tour in June on our Spirit cruise, and had a great time. However, several things to consider...

You need to be able to walk up (and especially down) stairs and cobblestones. Good walking shoes are recommended.

Bring a backpack or bag of some kind to carry your water bottle, and any liquor you might buy. Cinque Terre wine is unique, and virtually unavailable in the US. You can also purchase grappa (distilled from solids left over after grapes are stomped) and lemoncino / lemoncello (lemon liquor, some in decorative bottles).

We purchased all three, and managed to get them home without breakage.

Pisa is a 20 minute taxi ride from Livorno.

We took a taxi, with the driver waiting for us in Pisa for two hours. This was more than enough time to "do" Pisa. We were back in Livorno before lunch. We had lunch in town as well as doing some shopping, but it would have been realistic to have a freebie lunch on the boat. It was a 20 minute walk from the main square in Livorno to our berth.

If you DIY to Pisa, leave as early as you can in order to book your place in the tower. I think our slot was 9.45am, and it was the last one with any availability as the later places were block-booked with tours. They only allow 45 people in the tower every 15 minutes.

Lucca is one of my favorite places in the world. We took a private tour to Pisa , Lerici and Lucca and in all my travels , it was one of our most unforgettable days.

We originally were goning to Cinque Terre , but there was a traffic jam and we asked our guide what he most loved in the area. So we had lunch in Lerici , and rode bikes around the wall of Lucca and then through the town , had gelato.... It was so nice and so non touristy. Highly , highly recommend.

Lucca is one of my favorite places in the world. We took a private tour to Pisa , Lerici and Lucca and in all my travels , it was one of our most unforgettable days.

We originally were goning to Cinque Terre , but there was a traffic jam and we asked our guide what he most loved in the area. So we had lunch in Lerici , and rode bikes around the wall of Lucca and then through the town , had gelato.... It was so nice and so non touristy. Highly , highly recommend.

Not exactly a favorite place in the world BUT we'll always remember our day in Lucca walking the wall, using a treadle to wash our hands in a restaurant, the open town square, sweet streets, and eating spaghetti and salad Italian Style.

It will always be a day to remember.

Cinque Terre has many steps up from the sea. The going down those steps is pretty tough too. We didn't go into the towns because we imagined many Italians sitting around in the squares. Since we had visited other Italian towns we decided to pass. When we visit Livorno again, I'd like to take a tour of the Cinque Terre by boat to just visit the towns as they sit close to the sea. I'm not inclined to walk up all the steps.

Penny

One consideration to bear in mind is if your Livorno port day falls on a weekend. The Cinque Terre is very popular for local Italian families and is an absolute madhouse on the weekends with the shore walkways shoulder to shoulder with people and the local ferries a dangerous mobscene to try to board. I would choose to go elsewhere if you are in port on a Saturday or Sunday.

Edited by CintiPam

One consideration to bear in mind is if your Livorno port day falls on a weekend. The Cinque Terre is very popular for local Italian families and is an absolute madhouse on the weekends with the shore walkways shoulder to shoulder with people and the local ferries a dangerous mobscene to try to board. I would choose to go elsewhere if you are in port on a Saturday or Sunday.

Is this the case even in late September? We're doing Cinque Terre from Portovenere on a Sunday.

We will be in Livorno on Sunday 9/14 and thinking of doing the tour to the Cinque Terre however I have read that the path from Manarola to Riomaggiore is closed. Has anyone done this excursion recently? Trying to figure out if they will end up skipping a town or just taking alternate transportation. The cruise line can't tell me. Also, read the comment that it is a madhouse on the weekend. Would that be true even in mid Sept? Thinking Florence would be a madhouse too if that is the case. Thanks so much for any insights!

Summer season is winding down by end of September. I wouldn't think it would be a madhouse by then. The walk of Love is still not open and something tells me it isn't going to be this season. The Italians are not known for getting projects done quickly.

It is the trail that is marked in red (meaning closed)

You need to go to the Park website, which is Park Trekking Path, Cinque Terre.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I am sorry to say that I do not know how crowded it would be with local families in mid- or late-September. I know it was crowded at the beginning of June.

A good place to ask this question would be on the local forum of sister website tripadvisor.

I am sorry to say that I do not know how crowded it would be with local families in mid- or late-September. I know it was crowded at the beginning of June.

A good place to ask this question would be on the local forum of sister website tripadvisor.

Thank you. Good idea.

rebeccalouiseagain,

I was hoping the same thing for many stops on our cruise last Sept. Even though the summer season was ended for the locals, it was still quite busy every where we went in Italy and Greece last year.

We are going on the Regal in October and I am having an awful time trying to figure out what to do...Cinque Terre or Art, Churches and Sculptures. We only have one day and I know I cannot do both. We are senior citizens but active...apparently we will be taking train and boat. We have booked a tour to Cinque Terre but I am worried I will be upset if I do not see the history of art.

Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marsha

mbchot13@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Livorno on Sunday 9/14 and thinking of doing the tour to the Cinque Terre however I have read that the path from Manarola to Riomaggiore is closed. Has anyone done this excursion recently? Trying to figure out if they will end up skipping a town or just taking alternate transportation. The cruise line can't tell me. Also, read the comment that it is a madhouse on the weekend. Would that be true even in mid Sept? Thinking Florence would be a madhouse too if that is the case. Thanks so much for any insights!

Florence is a worthy trip even when it's a madhouse. We visit on day tours from the ships. Each visit is crowded. On Sunday the churches are closed to tourist in the morning for services. Museums have long lines. We wander about, walk along the river, seek out good photos and take in what we can (sculpture/architecture/shopping/foods) from the narrow streets.

On one of the streets between the Arno and Santa Croce there is a large public restroom. Use is a dollar or two.

The train station has a McDonalds. We stopped at the station for the restrooms. There is a local train with stops along the Cinque Terre. We could not see the towns from the train. IMO, The day tours don't leave enough time to visit Florence and take the train.

Some of this may spark more information. Enjoy your cruise.

Penny