What to do and where to stay in Buenos Aires

moonhunter

I see it's under new management. Viewing the pictures on line, I think they've updated the rooms....they look even nicer than when we were there.

Let me know if you decide on this one (just curiosity).

Thanks for your help. Orlando was prompt in getting back to us.

We decided not to stay there after much debate, prefer the Recoleta area, booked a nice hotel there. Thought the area was more convenient.

Thanks everyone for your input, greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I see it's under new management. Viewing the pictures on line, I think they've updated the rooms....they look even nicer than when we were there.

Let me know if you decide on this one (just curiosity).

We stayed at Abode a couple of years a go and were very happy. I received this email earlier this year re the change in ownership....

Hello,

I'm Orlando , the new owner of Abode since the month of June, I'm french and I speak spanish and english.I'm following the B&B launched by David and Zoe 6 years ago.

It will be more or less in the same style of what David & Zoe did.

It would be a pleasure to receive you if you come back in Buenos Aires one day.

Here's the new email of Abode : abodeorlando@gmail.com

We'll be back in BA in Feb 15, and have chosen to stay at the Duque Hotel because of its reviews and its closeness to the Domestic Airport. We'll stay there one night either side of a 2 day trip to Iguazu Falls, before joining our cruise.

Edited by Laylam

• 1 month later...

Hi Nacho,

I enjoyed a lovely stay at the Aspen Square Hotel a few years ago and was considering booking there again. I arrive from my cruise on Feb.9 and was hoping to do some city touring,and a day (or2?) trip to Iguaza Falls before flying home from EZE. Do you think that is a busy itinerary or can I accomplish that in a few days? I read what you suggested for hotels. Is the Aspen as well located?

Hi Nacho,

I enjoyed a lovely stay at the Aspen Square Hotel a few years ago and was considering booking there again. I arrive from my cruise on Feb.9 and was hoping to do some city touring,and a day (or2?) trip to Iguaza Falls before flying home from EZE. Do you think that is a busy itinerary or can I accomplish that in a few days? I read what you suggested for hotels. Is the Aspen as well located?

Hi Bavarder,

Lets see... your itinerary could be accomplished, but you would have to hurry a little. How many nights would you stay before coming back? You could spend 2 days at the Falls getting the most out of the experience in both sides (Argentina + Brasil)... or even one day could do it.

One thing you should be careful about is Aerolineas Argentinas's eventual delays. I strongly recommend you having at least half a day before your flight. You should estimate the time between arriving at "Aeroparque" and traveling to Ezeiza Airport with BA's traffic jams... and arriving a few hours before your flight. But having this things in mind, yes, you could do it.

As for the hotel, that is not the area I enjoy the most, but it is really near the subway and that is great! It depends as well on what are you planning to do.

I hope you have a great time in BA! Please ask me for more details or any further help!

Hi Bavarder,

Lets see... your itinerary could be accomplished, but you would have to hurry a little. How many nights would you stay before coming back? You could spend 2 days at the Falls getting the most out of the experience in both sides (Argentina + Brasil)... or even one day could do it.

One thing you should be careful about is Aerolineas Argentinas's eventual delays. I strongly recommend you having at least half a day before your flight. You should estimate the time between arriving at "Aeroparque" and traveling to Ezeiza Airport with BA's traffic jams... and arriving a few hours before your flight. But having this things in mind, yes, you could do it.

As for the hotel, that is not the area I enjoy the most, but it is really near the subway and that is great! It depends as well on what are you planning to do.

I hope you have a great time in BA! Please ask me for more details or any further help!

Well, Nacho, I've made my bookings. I decided to stay a few extra days in order to enjoy the beautiful city and surrounding sites. I've booked the Cyon Recoleta Hotel for the first night, then fly to Iguazu Falls and spend the night at the Sheraton, return the next evening and go back to Cyon. The trip to the Falls has been arranged through a tour company. We'll have two more days before we fly home. I was thinking a tour of Tigre? And many places we can walk to or take cabs (cemetery, etc.) Hope this isn't too ambitious.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

We're spending one night in Buenos Aires before heading to Bariloche for 3 nights. Is the Claridge Hotel close enough to the domestic airport, AEP, or would it be best staying somewhere else?

Also, would you recommend the Claridge or Melia Buenos Aires? We'll need to leave our bigger suitcase at the hotel whilst we take our trip outside of BA.

Any help re hotel would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi.

We're spending one night in Buenos Aires before heading to Bariloche for 3 nights. Is the Claridge Hotel close enough to the domestic airport, AEP, or would it be best staying somewhere else?

Also, would you recommend the Claridge or Melia Buenos Aires? We'll need to leave our bigger suitcase at the hotel whilst we take our trip outside of BA.

Any help re hotel would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hotels in Palermo and Recoleta are closer to AEP than the Claridge, which is smack dab in the middle of downtown.

The Melia is still in the downtown area but on the end closest to AEP. It is also a nicer hotel than the Claridge, except for the bar. I love the charm of the historic bar at the Claridge.

Hotels in Palermo and Recoleta are closer to AEP than the Claridge, which is smack dab in the middle of downtown.

The Melia is still in the downtown area but on the end closest to AEP. It is also a nicer hotel than the Claridge, except for the bar. I love the charm of the historic bar at the Claridge.

Thanks so very much for your help.

Have a very good holiday and a happy and healthy 2015.

Another question about the Melia Buenos Aires, is it true that the roads are closed at night? We're flying back into BA very late from Bariloche and are wondering if the taxi would have problems getting us directly to the hotel around midnight.

Thanks.

Another question about the Melia Buenos Aires, is it true that the roads are closed at night? We're flying back into BA very late from Bariloche and are wondering if the taxi would have problems getting us directly to the hotel around midnight.

Thanks.

hmm. I don't know the answer to your question. The Melia fronts on Reconquista, which has been converted to a pedestrian street. There is a traffic lane directly in front of the hotel to permit pick ups and drop offs. Whether this lane is closed or not at night I just don't know. It would not surprise me though since the pedestrian traffic picks up at night. I'd check with the hotel. Worst case scenario, the Melia is no more than half a block from two cross streets, Paraguay and Marcelo T de Alvear. The cab could drop you on the corner. If the hotel knows of your arrival they could probably send someone for your luggage.

hmm. I don't know the answer to your question. The Melia fronts on Reconquista, which has been converted to a pedestrian street. There is a traffic lane directly in front of the hotel to permit pick ups and drop offs. Whether this lane is closed or not at night I just don't know. It would not surprise me though since the pedestrian traffic picks up at night. I'd check with the hotel. Worst case scenario, the Melia is no more than half a block from two cross streets, Paraguay and Marcelo T de Alvear. The cab could drop you on the corner. If the hotel knows of your arrival they could probably send someone for your luggage.

Thanks dr dawggy, we won't have much luggage at this time, just small backpacks, so we can walk once it's safe.

Thanks dr dawggy, we won't have much luggage at this time, just small backpacks, so we can walk once it's safe.

If you do stay at the Melia, there is a good local steak house a block away. El Establo is at the corner of San Martin and Paraguay. Not "fancy", just good.