New to Cruising/cabins

1island2go

Thinking of taking our first cruise. Looking at Celebrity Equinox or RC Allure of the Seas for a Med cruise in 2015 summer. Trying to compare the two. We have never cruised before and not sure which way to go on cabins and ship size. Any and all help appreciated. Have a few questions.

1. How obstructed are obstructed balcony rooms on Equinox? Believe on deck 6 Cat 2D

2. How expensive is it to drink on both boats for say a beer or basic mixed drink? We are not heavy partiers but do enjoy a cocktail or two with dinner. Does it really pay to get the beverage packages?

3. Not excited about hauling formal attire for 1 or 2 nights. Is Celebrity pretty dressy or can you get by most nights with slacks and a button down and slacks and a nice blouse for the wife or will we feel under dressed? Is RC more casual?

4. Thoughts on cabins for two ships pros and cons both balcony rooms though Equinox says obstructed view.

5. What is the best for cabin location?

Thanks for any and all help. Sorry for so many questions!:(

Drinks on the ship are a bit more that what you'd probably pay in your local bar....around $4.50 or so for beer (domestic) and mixed drinks will run in the $5.50-$7.00 range for your basic cocktails....get a "foo foo" frozen drink, and it's more. Wine is WAY overpriced...we avoid wine, since other kinds of booze give you more "bang" for your buck!

You will need to drink about 7+ drinks per person, per day for the drink packages to "pay" for themselves.

Cabin location is a personal decision. We like to be near the elevator/stairway foyers....just makes life easier!! The hallways on ships are LOOOOOOOOONG! To perceive the least amount of motion, something on a middle deck, midship is best (think of a see-saw...the middle moves the least). We aren't bothered by motion, so we pick a deck closest to the pool, which is where we spend the bulk of our daytime hours. Walking 1 or 2 flights of stairs is faster than waiting on elevators!

My best advice with regard to cabin selection on any ship is to carefully study the ship's deck plan. Become aware of what is above, below, and beside the cabin in which you are interested. The best ideal is to what other cabins above, below, and beside yours.

I have had a 2D on Celebrity Eclipse, a sister to Equinox. Some of the cabins have lifeboats just below the veranda and some have a tender just below the veranda. I would not select a cabin where there is a tender. They are higher than a lifeboat and are more likely to intrude into your viewing. Is it a big issue? No, but it is just one more thing to consider in making a cabin selection.

I did not find Celebrity's beverage package to be worth it for me.

It has been too long since I sailed Royal Caribbean, so I cannot fairly compare them. I was pleased with Celebrity and expect to book another cruise with them again.

• 1 month later...

Royal is offering buy one get one half off. But Celebrity is offering the pick your perk (we got the beverage pkg free). I'd go with Celebrity unless you have to have rock wall, flow rider & ice shows (they're on Royal)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums