Cruising out of San Francisco - which side of ship?

We are planning a cruise on the Star Princess, leaving from San Francisco and headed South to Santa Barbara and San Diego. Can anyone advise me on which side of the ship to book so we'll have the best coastal views on our way out?

The topside! Because that is where you will likely be!

The San Francisco will be on the Port side, Alcatraz will be starboard. Parkland will be starboard side. The bridge will be forward, then overhead, then aft.

The ship will go west several miles before turning south. While coast line might be visible on the Port side after that, it will be too far away to see anything.

I wouldn't book a particular side on this cruise, as fog can always be a possibility. Aft would give an interesting view for a while after you sail under the bridge, if fog doesn't interfere..

Edited by CruiserBruce

CruiserBruce has it right.

We have sailed to and from San Francisco several times and our best views and photo opportunities were from the open deck on one of the top decks.

There will be beautiful views on both sides of the ship and also towards the bow (front) and back (aft) of the ship.

I wold not worry about what side of the ship your room is on. I put more emphasis on cabin location on the deck but that has more to do with convenience of getting around the ship and the impact should there be any rough seas.

Keith

The topside! Because that is where you will likely be!

The San Francisco will be on the Port side, Alcatraz will be starboard. Parkland will be starboard side. The bridge will be forward, then overhead, then aft.

If you are departing San Francisco via cruise ship, then the City will be on your PORT side, with Angel Island, Alcatraz, and Saulsalito on your STARBOARD side, as described above.

Having done this on a cruise ship before, would recommend getting up on the top deck, regardless of the weather, rather than watching from your cabin.

In the rare instances where your cruise ship will be close to shore on your trip south, you will of course want to be on the port side, but most of the time they are far enough off-shore than you really won't be able to see much.

Edited by Splinter