Adding Insurance Question

tbrenk1973

You can add up to 15 days before the your departure date. I cruised in June and added mine on the 19th day, barely making it.

My MIL isn't feeling well now and is getting nervous and thinks she should add to be safe.

My MIL isn't feeling well now and is getting nervous and thinks she should add to be safe.

You usually have to get insurance 14 days after "booking" in order to cover any pre-existing conditions.

If this is the case she needs to check to be sure whatever she buys will cover her this close to sailing.

I do hope she gets better and can enjoy a cruise!

If you purchase 3rd party trip insurance, i.e. insurance offered by a company other than the cruise line, you can purchase it pretty much up until you walk on the ship.

HOWEVER, for this 3rd party trip insurance, you DO have to purchase it within 10 - 15 days of the initial payment of your cruise in order for there to be a waiver of pre-existing conditions of family members or yourself or your traveling companions. (Some companies require 10 days, some require 14 days, some allow up to 15 days and some companies don't do waivers at all.)

And, as Treasure4two states, the staff at InsureMyTrip.com, where I always purchase my trip insurance, is very good at answering questions about the policies they offer. You can use their toll-free number to call them or use the Live Chat feature on their website.

Good luck!

Edited by GradUT

If you purchase 3rd party trip insurance, i.e. insurance offered by a company other than the cruise line, you can purchase it pretty much up until you walk on the ship.

HOWEVER, for this 3rd party trip insurance, you DO have to purchase it within 10 - 15 days of the initial payment of your cruise in order for there to be a waiver of pre-existing conditions of family members or yourself or your traveling companions. (Some companies require 10 days, some require 14 days, some allow up to 15 days and some companies don't do waivers at all.)

And, as Treasure4two states, the staff at InsureMyTrip.com, where I always purchase my trip insurance, is very good at answering questions about the policies they offer. You can use their toll-free number to call them or use the Live Chat feature on their website.

Good luck!

Lots of confusion with this lately. Only the insured that are traveling need to have insurance. Those not going have nothing to do with a policy purchased pre existing or not

You could have a family member in a coma. Even if you purchased travel insurance beyond the pre existing time limit, you'd still be covered if the worst happened.

Edited by SeaUs