Alaska Land/Sea- Skip Land?

jlbrain

I booked the OOsterdam land and sea because it was cheaper than just the cruise. I would rather do the land part on my own, and not be part of the cattle call crowd. Has anyone skipped the land part and just met the ship on the sailing day? Is there any discount/refund for not using their rooms and transportation? Even without any refunds, I think we can see and do more renting a car than following the crowd on the land tours. Any information is appreciated! Luann

I booked the OOsterdam land and sea because it was cheaper than just the cruise. I would rather do the land part on my own, and not be part of the cattle call crowd. Has anyone skipped the land part and just met the ship on the sailing day? Is there any discount/refund for not using their rooms and transportation? Even without any refunds, I think we can see and do more renting a car than following the crowd on the land tours. Any information is appreciated! Luann

Sorry, but where are you seeing that a cruise/tour is cheaper than just booking the cruise?

• 3 weeks later...

We did the 11 day Sea/Land Double Denali. Land portion was fantastic! I wouldn't call it a cattle call, but yes you have to stay on schedule but its nice getting on a bus and not worrying about expensive car rental or booking hotels on your own. Some meals were included. Remember the trip from Seward to Denali is a very long trip. At least 6 hors and having the chance to read, rest, sleep or listening to the great narrative from the driver was better then being in a car, IMHO. At Denali the lodging is very good and the Tundra Wilderness tour is open only to buses. Cars can just go in so far.