Need advice...Carnival Fantasy vs Carnival Victory

eoliver89

Hello everyone,

We are embarking on a cruise in September 2014 and need to decide on which ship to sail on it. We have narrowed it down to two, the Fantasy and Victory. These two ships fit our dates and schedules the best. The Victory sails out of Miami, FL while the Fantasy sails out of Charleston, SC. We live in Charlotte, NC.

We also sailed on the Freedom last year and are a bit worried about "downgrading" so much to the Fantasy. We are interested in an Ocean View room on the Fantasy or a Balcony room on the Victory. Sailing the Victory will cost us about $140 more than the Fantasy in the long run. This price includes all our gas costs, gratuity, road tolls, parking fees, etc.

The big dilemma is that the Victory is a 4 day cruise and the port is 10 hours away in a car. The Fantasy is a 5 day cruise and the port is only 3 hours away in a car. We do not want to fly. The Victory is going to Mexico which we have never been before, but the Fantasy is going to the Bahamas where we have been before. Also, we really would like a balcony which the Fantasy doesn't offer; only suites.

So to sum up, the Fantasy is a 3 hour drive one way and a longer cruise. The Victory is a 10 hour drive one way and a shorter cruise overall.

Now, we know that the Fantasy is older and also smaller than the Victory, but how do they compare? What should we do? Any tips or advice? There will be just two adults going, no kids.

Thanks so much!

Edited by eoliver89

IMO, just like any beach is a good beach, any cruise is a good cruise. Even so, 10 hours is a long drive for a 4-day cruise. And even though the Fantasy is a much shorter drive, you've done the Bahamas. Isn't there any other choice? Just not loving the choices as much as most of the other cruises I've seen or been on.

I did love the Victory! I have never been on a Fantasy-class ship. All my other cruises have been on either the Spirit or the Conquest classes (love both!). I bet you'll have a fun time either way. I would just try to take one last, careful look at the options.

The victory isnt that much younger then the fantasy. Besides being bigger the only other thing i can think it has that the fantasy dosent have is a big screen on lido and more balconies. I would pick the fantasy. Though in full disclosure ahe is my favorite ship lol.

IMO, just like any beach is a good beach, any cruise is a good cruise. Even so, 10 hours is a long drive for a 4-day cruise. And even though the Fantasy is a much shorter drive, you've done the Bahamas. Isn't there any other choice? Just not loving the choices as much as most of the other cruises I've seen or been on.

I did love the Victory! I have never been on a Fantasy-class ship. All my other cruises have been on either the Spirit or the Conquest classes (love both!). I bet you'll have a fun time either way. I would just try to take one last, careful look at the options.

Yes, I do agree that drive is a very long one for a 4 day cruise. The only other options are 3 day cruises which we do not want to do. We've searched and searched and for our dates these are the best two options. Thanks for your input!

The victory isnt that much younger then the fantasy. Besides being bigger the only other thing i can think it has that the fantasy dosent have is a big screen on lido and more balconies. I would pick the fantasy. Though in full disclosure ahe is my favorite ship lol.

Oh, I thought the Fantasy was 10 years older? May I ask why the Fantasy is your favorite?

Yes, I do agree that drive is a very long one for a 4 day cruise. The only other options are 3 day cruises which we do not want to do. We've searched and searched and for our dates these are the best two options. Thanks for your input!

Oh, I thought the Fantasy was 10 years older? May I ask why the Fantasy is your favorite?

It is 10 years older but in my opinion the fantasy dosent look it. I like the interior. It is less Vegas then others. The crew is the friendliest i have ever had on a ship. It has a water works. Then it is the port most close to me. She is like a favorite pair of old jeans. Very comfortable and dependable lol

Ugh, I'm not a fan of the Fantasy class, to the point where I'll bypass my two closest ports of embarkation because that's what sails from them. The Fantasy IMHO is ugly, outdated and disjointed. Some areas like the promenade have been tastefully refurbished, while other parts still have that straight out of the late 80's/early 90's tacky neon decor. She's gone through several upgrades but she's 24 years old. There's only so much you can do to a ship her age.

But I agree that going to Miami for a 4 day cruise is one heck of a drive. Under the circumstances, I'd bite the bullet and take the Fantasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

It is 10 years older but in my opinion the fantasy dosent look it. I like the interior. It is less Vegas then others. The crew is the friendliest i have ever had on a ship. It has a water works. Then it is the port most close to me. She is like a favorite pair of old jeans. Very comfortable and dependable lol

I have also read that the Fantasy has the best crew out of the fleet which makes it very appealing to us. Thanks again!

Nothing out of Jacksonville, FL (Fascination which is same class as Fantasy), Port Canaveral or even Tampa?

The Carnival Paradise sails out Tampa, but the reviews have been lack luster. The drive would be 8 hours. The ship only goes to one port, BUT the port is Mexico - which is where we want to go. We are just nervous about the reviews and that is only has one port of a call for 8 hours - the rest of the time the ship will be at sea.

The other two ports (Jacksonville/Orlando) have a 3 day cruise or the dates do not line up. We need to leave Sept 24 - 26 and be back by Oct 1 with a 4 day minimum cruise.

Thanks for your help!

Ugh, I'm not a fan of the Fantasy class, to the point where I'll bypass my two closest ports of embarkation because that's what sails from them. The Fantasy IMHO is ugly, outdated and disjointed. Some areas like the promenade have been tastefully refurbished, while other parts still have that straight out of the late 80's/early 90's tacky neon decor. She's gone through several upgrades but she's 24 years old. There's only so much you can do to a ship her age.

But I agree that going to Miami for a 4 day cruise is one heck of a drive. Under the circumstances, I'd bite the bullet and take the Fantasy.

Thanks for your input. That really helps us a lot! =)

Love the Fantasy and have only sailed her my last few cruises and the next few are going to be on her. We're only about 35 minutes from the port so it makes the drive very comfortable. The crew is just awesome! They go above and beyond to help you in any way possible. Love the size of the ship and the layout of everything.

We sailed with Carnival 7 years before trying a Fantasy-class ship. Our history included Conquest-class, Spirit-class - and Victory. Four times on Victory, in fact. She was our first ship in 2004. I'd happily sail her again in a heartbeat - and in fact, we almost did this year. This Saturday we set sail on Glory out of Miami, but when we were looking at a cruise I was really thinking of a 5-day on Victory. Glory ended up being a better deal.

But Fantasy? Like you, we worried about a "downgrade." I shouldn't have worried. She's a wonderful ship - lots of out-of-the-way places to sit, nice Serenity area, and if you like water slides Fantasy's will knock the socks off Victory's slide.:p (BTW, I'm 54 years old. I did Fantasy's slides a number of times.:D) No, Fantasy doesn't have the steakhouse or big screen - but we didn't miss those, either.

For me, a 5-day on Fantasy with a 3-hour drive would beat a 4-day on Victory with a 10-hour drive. However, if Cozumel is on your bucket list and you'd like to try a balcony, you'll have to weigh those factors against the cruise time and drive.

My thing is i dont know what more the victory could offer that the fantasy couldnt besides a seaside theather and more balconies. It is basically a bigger fantasy class ship. Now i could see if it was a newer ship and one with 2.0 uogrades.

My thing is i dont know what more the victory could offer that the fantasy couldnt besides a seaside theather and more balconies. It is basically a bigger fantasy class ship. Now i could see if it was a newer ship and one with 2.0 uogrades.

I do like the general feel of ships the size of the Victory. The wider lobby and atrium area, the layout of the main pool deck, the aft quiet pool, the double deck main dining rooms instead of the claustrophobic single story ones with low ceilings, the larger main theater with better, unobstructed sight lines, the large number of balconies, making them more affordable, the larger size of the standard oceanview cabins, (185sq ft for Fantasy vs 220sq ft for Victory), the more modern and flowing decor throughout the ship, the outdoor promenade on deck 5 (on the Fantasy class, you have to go all the way to the top of the ship to go outside), and just the general layout of the ship.

There was a time when I truly enjoyed the Fantasy class, but as they've aged and I've experienced newer ships, I've "outgrown" them. :o I do understand that they are still favored by many who live close to their home ports. They do offer a very convenient and affordable option for many, but taking those two elements aside, they just don't offer what the newer and larger ships offer. There's a reason why they are relegated to short, cheap cruises out of drive-to ports.

I also live in Charlotte and have sailed Fantasy twice from Charleston. I just have to say that you absolutely cannot beat the convenience of this port. If schedule is an important variable for you, and it sounds like it is, go on Fantasy. You will actually feel rested and refreshed when you get home after such a short drive. And you can be home before lunch if you want. I look at it like this...you have the choice of spending one of your precious vacation days on the ship or in the car. We have gotten so spoiled by Charleston. In April we decided to go out of Jax becase it worked well with our shedule and I thought it really wouldn't make that much difference to drive 6 hours instead of 3. I was wrong. And the 5 day really is nicer than the 4 in terms of feeling relaxed and not rushed.

Fantasy is great. Spend less money and have the extra day on the ship. You will be glad you did. And if you really want to see Mexico, consider a land vacation. No port stay is going to be long enough to make you feel like you have truly visited anyway.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have only sailed Fantasy class ships and a lot of them. Not by design, it has just happened that way. So maybe there is a whole world out there that I don't know I am missing. But I can't imagine having a better experience than I have had so I will keep taking my 3 hour drive to a gret vacation!

I haven't been on either ship, but I did sail on the Fascination out of Jacksonville. We thought the ship was ok, but the dinning room seemed like we were packed in like sardines. We decided then that we didn't want to go on a fantasy class ship again. We are sailing on Victory in January and looking forward to it. Hope what ever you decided, that you have a fantastic voyage! I have never found a cruise I didn't like.