Lanyards/yes or no

TheDivineMrsM

On our last cruise, I finally went with a lanyard (it was our six & seventh cruise). I got tired of having to wear something with pockets or to carry a bag with me. Of course, at night I carry a small evening bag with me anyway so the lanyard stays behind.

I had one small purse I had to stop bringing on cruises because the magnet closure on it kept wiping the card :mad:.

Anyway, its a personal choice and I'm quite happy with it. I don't know why anyone would think me classless because of it, but I guess some people need to feel superior and if that helps them, then its a bonus for them.

It doesn't affect me in the slightest, I'm cruising and having fun.:D

From years of working on ships with strict uniform guidelines (that do not include pockets) and having to tote around a room key and/or ID card, I just simply put the cards in my bra! They never fell out, and I never lost them!

Now that I'm cruising for fun, I usually carry around a little wristlet purse that holds a few cards, phone, camera etc. when I'm on the ship, and the same little purse doubles as a wallet when we're in port tossed into a bigger beach bag/purse, backpack etc.

I have no issues with a lanyard at all, it's just not for me. Do I think any less of those who choose to use them for their own convenience?! Heck no! It's your vacation, do what you want, who is anyone else to judge you?!

Those of you doing the judging, mind your own business and enjoy your own vacation. Would you go up to someone on the ship with a lanyard and tell them to their face the things you're saying on here? Highly unlikely.

I've not used a lanyard. However I get a hole punched in the card and use a small carabiner to clip to belt loops or small loops sewn into pockets. Now I don't worry about it falling out and getting lost. It goes into the shorts pocket I wear over my swimsuit.

Okay, so we returned from the cruise Friday. I'd bought a pretty black sparkly lanyard for $3 but never once used it. DH kept his sail pass/room key card in his pocket and I was always with him, so I rarely needed mine. I never found time to get a hole punched in it. I saw lots and lots of cruisers wearing lanyards of all types, RCI ones, fancy ones and plain ones. No one looked out of place wearing them.

Thanks for all the responses and discussion on the matter.

Edited by TheDivineMrsM

We had lanyards on our last cruise. I had originally gotten them so the kids wouldn't lose their cards. But I found it great too. I didn't have to carry a purse or anything and I didn't worry about it falling out my pocket. There's a large enough percentage of people using lanyards that you don't feel like you stand out or anything. And lots of people asked where I got mine. For the record, I bought mine at Office Depot. I got five of them for 4bucks or something like that.

To each his own...

Hi! This is a great idea, and I have been looking around for a small waterproof container for some time now! Is there one you'd recommend????? :-)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I don't know which he uses, but I just purchased the one below for our upcoming trip based on recommendations here at CC:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BJ7WHE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't figure out how to make a link from my amazon app....do a search on amazon for the "WITZ See it Safe Waterproof ID/Badge Holder Case". It was inexpensive but really handy. I've used it all summer at the beach and when camping.

Edited by StevenStephen

From years of working on ships with strict uniform guidelines (that do not include pockets) and having to tote around a room key and/or ID card, I just simply put the cards in my bra! They never fell out, and I never lost them!
Unfortunately with my "build" it would drop straight through! Edited by Onessa

I can't figure out how to make a link from my amazon app....do a search on amazon for the "WITZ See it Safe Waterproof ID/Badge Holder Case". It was inexpensive but really handy. I've used it all summer at the beach and when camping.

Thank you very much!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I always use a lanyard. Why carry a handbag if you dont have to? For the pool, I just wear the sunglasses, carry a book and that's it. For dinner, why would I need a handbag? I even have a rhinestone one I got from Amazon for formal nights!

I think it's funny how someone THINKS that they are the deciding judge on what is class or not.

When i see people post THEIR opinions some think that it is set in stone.

Please.

I also see some of these people that have upteen thousands of posts on CC, (18000+) posts, they need to get a life. go outside and see the sun, jeez.

And THAT is my opinion:)

I will be wearing a lanyard as it is easiest for ME. Most won't know as i keep it tucked into my shirt but WHO CARES. Do what you want.

Michael

You're making fun of people who post frquently? Who ARE you people...why is it so easy for you to ridicule others? Maybe the forums are the one place they feel safe. Maybe cruising is their life and they enjoy sharing their experiences. Maybe, just maybe, you could see them as a resource instead of the butt of a rude comment. Isn't this forum a place to share...in what one would assume is a safe environment?

• 5 weeks later...

Lanyards are just not my thing. My cruise card is always in a leather case in my pocket except when I go swimming when it is out of the case and in my pocket. Although I confess that the leather case has gone swimming on the odd occasion.:)

The thing that I chuckle over is the person with the lanyard who you are talking to at a M&G or elsewhere who looks down and notices their card is backward and needs to adjust it as a means of showing you where they are in the cruise lines loyalty program.:rolleyes:

Edited by Putterdude

Those wrist things get in the way. As a woman, I love the fact that on a cruise I don't need a purse; no drivers license, no cash, no credit cards. A sun hat, sunglasses and lanyard are all I need. When I need a bag, I still like the lanyard. Don't have to hunt it up everytime I go back to the cabin, etc No one really cares how you look anyway

Those wrist things get in the way. As a woman, I love the fact that on a cruise I don't need a purse; no drivers license, no cash, no credit cards. A sun hat, sunglasses and lanyard are all I need. When I need a bag, I still like the lanyard. Don't have to hunt it up everytime I go back to the cabin, etc No one really cares how you look anyway

U can borrow some of mines any time :)

The thing that I chuckle over is the person with the lanyard who you are talking to at a M&G or elsewhere who looks down and notices their card is backward and needs to adjust it as a means of showing you where they are in the cruise lines loyalty program.:rolleyes:

In my country these folk are called wankers. :p