Lanyards/yes or no

TheDivineMrsM

I am also in the no pockets club - I usually wear sundresses while cruising, and most unfortunately do not have pockets. I also really dislike digging through a purse, even in 'real life'.

I have always worn a lanyard and do not see it as classless in any way. I do not wear it on formal night - most likely I have my husband carry it for me until after dinner.

My perspective might be influenced, however, by the fact that Disney provides lanyards to all returning cruisers and so they are extremely common on DCL sailings.....

Google wallet could help here. Can cruise lines just zap smart phones? Many people carry their phones now.

Deb

That would be a great idea for ID and charges, but it won't open the cabin door.

I do think they they are far from good looking or classy (regardless of whatever label might be on it) - but those aren't things I worry about most of the time when I'm on vacation.

We use them as they are easy. I do not see them as classless, I see it as I am on vacation and I will be darn if I am carrying a purse. I usually tuck mine into my shirt but do not worry about it if it is just hanging around my neck.

I have (and wear) leopard print Croc ballerina style shoes. Worrying about looking classy, or klassy, is obviously far beyond me. :p If I want to wear a neck lanyard, or a sparkly pink blingy wrist one because it makes me smile or makes my life easier, I will do it without shame.

Edited by lisiamc

If you wear one please be careful at the buffet so that your lanyard does not touch the food when you are reaching for something.....yes, I have seen this more than once.

Why not? Gravy stains on the lanyard would be the perfect compliment to the mustard stains on a necktie.;):rolleyes:

Why not? Gravy stains on the lanyard would be the perfect compliment to the mustard stains on a necktie.

It's really no joke. If a lanyard should dip into a tray of food an observant buffet attendant should remove and discard that food.

I like the lanyard. It's not a big deal. When I was on the Carnival Splendor in January, I actually carried around a Carnival shoulder tote and liked having a bag with some essentials like contact lens eye drops, sunscreen (in case the rain atopped, which it didn't!) and purchases.

Sorry Hank, but class has nothing to do with lanyards on a cruise. Many years ago I saw lanyard wearing senior seasoned cruisers on the Cunard QE2 crossing from Southampton, England to Manhattan. The people on that crossing wrote the book on class.

Okay, if I were to get a lanyard, does the sea pass card have a hole in it, or did someone say they will punch a hole in it so it can be put on the lanyard?

No hole in the card when you get it, Guest Services on board will punch a hole for you. Normally, there's someone asking prelim questions for those in line, and they will immediately punch the hole for you when they get to you.

I love lanyards. I don't want to carry a purse and usually am wearing a sundress that doesn't have pockets, so it's the easiet way for me. I have nice ones that are all jeweled up like jewelry. On formal night I do carry a small clutch so I put it in their so as not to ruin the effect of my dress.. But any other time people can laugh if they want, it's my vacation. LOL

I'm part of the 'silly and classless' lanyard wearers. Before retirement I wore one daily for id/access card. Kept about 20 lanyards in desk drawer at work and enjoyed selecting one each day to match my outfit or for fun. (Think Dora the Explorer or a row of monkeys).

I put a thin split ring on the lanyard to actually put onto my card. That way I don't have to remove lanyard to use the card I can just unclip it.

Yes, you can do it....but it does look silly and classless. Ok, we know we will get flamed...but it is the way it is!

Hank

If it bothers YOU that much that I wear a lanyard, that's isn't my problem.

Although, if you are bothered by how I appear, that's a lot of power in my hands. I can upset you just by my appearence. thank you so much for giving me the ability to upset your sensibilites.

I'm perfectly ok with making your vacation worse by wearing a lanyard. :D

I've never worn a lanyard on a cruise before but have seen lots of people do it and I think it's a good idea if it keeps people from losing their keys.

I wear a lanyard every day at work with my photo ID on it, so not having something hanging on my neck everyday is part of my vacation :)

To each their own...I don't think it has anything to do with class.

It's really no joke. If a lanyard should dip into a tray of food an observant buffet attendant should remove and discard that food.

I don't know about the buffets on the ships you've been on, but on Princess, there is a plastic guard so it's difficult to be able to lean in to get the food. For the food spreads that are outside the buffet, it could be easy to do that but I haven't seen it happen. I'm pretty klutzy and have never had a problem with the lanyard I'm wearing.

Okay, if I were to get a lanyard, does the sea pass card have a hole in it, or did someone say they will punch a hole in it so it can be put on the lanyard?

I use a plastic sleeve that can be hooked onto the lanyard (stationery stores and even Walmart have these). That does mean I have to remove the card from the sleeve to insert into the lock, but usually that isn't a problem unless I have both hands full and I'm by myself. The advantage is that I don't have to spend my first day standing in line at the passenger services desk to get my card punched. And that's a big advantage to me.

If it bothers YOU that much that I wear a lanyard, that's isn't my problem.

Although, if you are bothered by how I appear, that's a lot of power in my hands. I can upset you just by my appearence. thank you so much for giving me the ability to upset your sensibilites.

I'm perfectly ok with making your vacation worse by wearing a lanyard. :D

Like :)

Lanyards are value neutral: they don't symbolize "class" or the lack of it. Am I classy because of my shoelaces? What about my belt? Classy? Sometimes I wear a headband. What social strata do you think I represent? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that sometimes I wear sneakers with those little ankle socks to walk around the deck. Are the ankle socks classy? Yes or no- can I get an answer so I'll know if I'm projecting class or not?

I use a lanyard because it's easier than carrying around a single, valuable card in my hand all day and night. I take it off during dinner and the time surrounding dinner when we're dressed up(ish) and classy. I still carry it bunched in a bundle that I put in my husband's pocket.