Venice with walking difficulties

silversurf1

Considering Oceana fly cruise next year. I have walking difficulties and use a walking stool (a three legged stick with folding seat). I can't walk more than 100 yards or so without sitting down and I'm very slow, so would like an easy way to get from the cruise port to St Marks square so I can just toddle round at my own pace.

I read on a very old forum that P and O have some sort or boat shuttle that goes to St Marks. Is this still the case?

They do - when we went in 2012 there was a shuttle bus from the ship to the waterside (or it was about a 10 minute walk) where you could either use the water bus organised by P&O or I think you could jump on one of the public service water buses.

The P&O service landed fairly close to St Marks Square.

Yes P&O do run a shuttle from the cruise terminal(cost £15 pp) but be aware it is about 400yards from the ship to the boarding point at the cruise terminal. Not sure where it docks at St Marks square as we used the vaporetto. These you also board at the same place but we found the queue was alot shorter. Cost was 14 euro pp I think return but the P&O shuttle was for unlimited travel we were told

Yes P&O do run a shuttle from the cruise terminal(cost £15 pp) but be aware it is about 400yards from the ship to the boarding point at the cruise terminal

When we were there in 2012 they were running a shuttle bus from the ship to the boarding point.

Thank you for your prompt replies chaps. £15 well spent for me.

Will you be registering your problems for assisted embarkation. If you are the company run a shuttle from the ship to tronchetto for passengers needing assistance. From there you can get a Vaporetto to St Marks on the line one which goes through the grand canal. You are within 150 yards of the square. I was able to do this with my mobility scooter. It costs far less than the £15. You may even get for free for being disabled, I did in the scooter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I also have trouble walking and have a seat stick. Beware that Venice - the best bits away from the tourist traps anyway, down the many side streets - involve steps over many bridges. So long as you take your time, you will be fine. Don't miss seeing these parts of the city, not just St Mark's Square etc.

Have fun :)