Need Some Quick Help About Cancelling

tbrenk1973

I am at work and cannot call and my in-laws are looking for some quick advise.

We are sailing 8/16 and they have a double occupancy balcony cabin (we booked three in a row a year ago since we are all family travelling) that is paid in full. My MIL is in the hospital and looks like she cannot go.

On my last call to Carnival I was told if they cancelled by 8/3 they could recover $770 of their full payment. If they cancel after that, they are out the money.

My question is, what if ONLY my FIL goes? Since they are paid in full could he stay in that same cabin? Not looking to get any money back for her, just him going alone.

Thanks in advance. This has been a very trying time with all the back and forth and decisions.

I think there was something similar last week (though it was a divorce situation and not medical). If I recall correctly, the consensus was to not cancel and just not have her show up. That way you wouldn't be hit with a single-supplement.

One thing they "may" do though is allow you to keep the funds for her for 24 months. Something you may want to call carnival and ask "hypothetically".

I think there was something similar last week (though it was a divorce situation and not medical). If I recall correctly, the consensus was to not cancel and just not have her show up. That way you wouldn't be hit with a single-supplement.

One thing they "may" do though is allow you to keep the funds for her for 24 months. Something you may want to call carnival and ask "hypothetically".

Wouldn't the singles supplement be the same as him paying for two people which he already has? Or no?

Since I've always traveled with at least one other person, I can't answer that question. But there are very knowledgeable people on here that can and will.

Good luck and hope your MIL gets better soon.

I am at work and cannot call and my in-laws are looking for some quick advise.

We are sailing 8/16 and they have a double occupancy balcony cabin (we booked three in a row a year ago since we are all family travelling) that is paid in full. My MIL is in the hospital and looks like she cannot go.

On my last call to Carnival I was told if they cancelled by 8/3 they could recover $770 of their full payment. If they cancel after that, they are out the money.

My question is, what if ONLY my FIL goes? Since they are paid in full could he stay in that same cabin? Not looking to get any money back for her, just him going alone.

Thanks in advance. This has been a very trying time with all the back and forth and decisions.

If FIL still wants to go, just have MIL be a no-show. If you tell Carnival in advance, FIL could have to pay the single supplement in addition to MIL forfeiting her fare. So when FIL checks in at the port he can just tell them that he isn't sure if she will make it and leave it up in the air. He can then embark as usual.

I have personally done this before with success.

If FIL still wants to go, just have MIL be a no-show. If you tell Carnival in advance, FIL could have to pay the single supplement in addition to MIL forfeiting her fare. So when FIL checks in at the port he can just tell them that he isn't sure if she will make it and leave it up in the air. He can then embark as usual.

I have personally done this before with success.

Is paying the single supplement more money than him paying for two people? I was also concerned that they can take the cabin and make him move.

Is paying the single supplement more money than him paying for two people? I was also concerned that they can take the cabin and make him move.

These are my experiences:

He will not have to pay the single supplement if MIL is a no-show.

He will have to pay the single supplement if you notify Carnival in advance that MIL is not coming.

Carnival will not take his cabin if MIL is a no-show.

Hope that clarifies. Just don't do anything. Just have FIL go to the cruise by himself and check-in.

He will have to pay the single supplement if you notify Carnival in advance that MIL is not coming.

Hope that clarifies. Just don't do anything. Just have FIL go to the cruise by himself and check-in.

Thank you everyone!

This. Carnival doesn't count paying as two people, the same as paying the solo supplement. I'd go the no-show route if possible. We had this happen for our wedding (we had four balconies in a row), so we switched a sailing guest for a non-sailing and we had access to the cabin and balcony that we'd already paid for--we made it our wedding closet.

Wouldn't the singles supplement be the same as him paying for two people which he already has? Or no?

Unless they want to refare him as a solo at a current, possibly higher, rate. Not sure how Carnival handles this.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet--do they have any cruise insurance? If FIL decides not to go also, this should refund them both for cancelling due to medical reasons. I understand some will also pick up the single supplement if one party has to cancel.

Edited by Ryndam2002