Norwegian Spirit secrets and tips!

Hey Everyone,

I'm cruising on the Norwegian Spirit in Feb for the first time. I've heard great things about this ship and would like to know if anyone has any tips or secrets about the ship they would like to share.

I always like finding clues about the ship's previous owners such as the outline of her former name on the hull etc.

We are staying in one of the aft penthouses to get the Cagney's perks.

So yeah, this ship is small but I'm sure it has a nice charm to her. Thanks!

We love this ship, love the overhang canopy up at the pool bar for a read of a book in the shade

Love the Henrys pub and the fish and chips in blue lagoon that you can take into the pub

Its really different in that you can't walk though places so by the end of the week, I still turn the wrong way out of the elevator

Le Bistro is a lovely small place with not too many tables

Go forward on deck 12 to the Galaxy of the stars observation lounge. It is a great place to get comfy with a book or just to gaze out to sea. Even if something is going on in there, you can go sit by the windows and it is partially partitioned off. There are fun odds and ends in glass cases to look at also. There is also a small spiral staircase that goes down to the bridge viewing area. It also has interesting things to look at down there.

The ship was originally used in china, so enjoy all the oriental decorations! There is only one Teppanyaki table on board the Spirit so if it is something you want to do be sure to get a reservation. They also had it open for lunch on sea days. We went in March and I found it chilly on board (I heard others complaining too), so bring a sweater or shawl.

Cagney's is great on the Spirit. Expect for embarkation day we never had more guests then staff. We also had top notch treatment from the Concierge as there was only 16 (or was it 18) suites on board. There was no haven guests to take her attention.

You will also have access to the reserved seating in theater , with it's own private entrance. Which is very handy because on the Spirit the normal entrance brings you right by the stage.

One down side is the size of balcony , you would have had a bigger one on the Balcony cabin you had on the Jade than you will with a penthouse on the Spirit.

Edited by JohnIreland

Another tip: In the big theater don't sit in the back few rows if you can help it - there is a vibration that is somewhat irritating. They used to call the theater Moulin Rouge, but maybe it is now the Stardust? It is at the back of the ship.

Buffet is great; we liked to grab our plates and sit outside in the aft tiered decks.

Cagney's was delicious and staff was wonderful. I didn't like our table right near the entrance so they moved us right away. I gushed over the cheesecake pop (as part of a dessert trio) and they surprised me with another one!

Do the Chef's Table if you can afford it - it's amazing! Make reservations right after embarking at the reservations desk.

Loved Henry's Pub for karaoke.

Blue Lagoon was great for grabbing a quick meal if you didn't want to deal with MDR. Hopefully Ed will be the bartender there. Ed was awesome! I went out of my way to buy all my drinks from Ed.

Fitness center very busy on sea days ... try to get there early (if you go)

If you're doing Mediterranean, go up to the top deck Forward when sailing out of Istanbul. Amazing views - highlight of the trip!

Cagney,s for breakfast or lunch is great. Because there are not that much suites, they know what you like very much real soon.

I love 'people watching' If you have a drink on deck 8, you can look down to the atrium. Nice spot.

There is a special area for suite gast, nice there, not in a row, but with little tables and seperate chairs

At the back you can eat outside or just drink your coffee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, definitely go to the Galaxy lounge, top deck forward, for the views. In fact, you'll have to, as it's the only place on the ship where you can actually see forward (bad design here). Sadly on our Med cruise in June, the windows of the Galaxy were pretty dirty and were never washed despite my asking (daily) at the front desk to have them cleaned.

The best place to see forward turns out to be the portion of the jogging track that sticks out each side about 5 feet. For leaving port, the area aft of the buffet is perfect, and was even good for sailing into Venice.

To find out the ship's history, take the circular stairs down from the Galaxy lounge to the bridge viewing area (she was originally Super Star Leo).

The first day onboard, go to the main desk and tell them to sign you up for the Captain's dinner (officer's dinner?). We did, and were invited (along with another couple) to dine with the Navigator. Fascinating dinner, free wine.

Some of the main dining room's chef's specials (not on the printed menu) were excellent, including the salmon and the beef filet. If you dine right when leaving port, ask to be seated at the rear windows. Awesome view, and never had a vibration problem.

They make a decent sangria in the upper-deck bars, and watch the daily paper for a 2-for-1 deal on it.

The steam room and sauna worked well, and we used them more than the crowded hot tubs because there were never more than one or two other people there.

It's worth getting up early to be on deck when sailing into the ports. For mornings in the breakfast buffet, dine on the deck out back. Don't miss the "pastry girls", two crew members distributing fresh pastry throughout the buffet seating area with incredible cheerfulness.

Most important tip - find the roll call here for your cruise and join it!

My sister will be sailing with me in February too. It will be her 3rd time on the Spirit with me and I think it will be my 7th sailing. We haven't actually agreed on a date yet so don't know if we will see you or not.

You would think I would have some secret about the ship but I think I am so familiar with her that I just cannot think of anything. What I will say is that the crew are great and the ship is perfect for this itinerary.