Civitaveccia to train with luggage

cruisemuse27

Ahhh, didn't realize you were not going until next May. So at this point you should just sit back and see how things develop on the port construction project. Since it is Italy they might be done in a month..or it could take 10 years! Assuming the main port entrance is open you might want to consider Civitavecchia but let me explain how it would work. There would be a free shuttle bus (with plenty of luggage storage) from your pier to the main port entrance. At that point it is about a 4-5 block walk (its all flat) to the train station. The blocks are actually pretty long and the walk equals about 1/2 mile. Since it is unlikely you would find a taxi, you would need to be able to handle all your luggage for that walk. If your train is on Track 1 it would be relatively easy to get your luggage to the train cars. But if it happens to be on any of the other tracks you need to get your luggage down the steps, through the tunnel, and up the steps to the appropriate platform. I do not recall any elevators at the station in Civitavecchia (perhaps I missed it). There will be nobody to help you at the train station....and when you get to Rome it is very wise to refuse any help with your luggage since you can never be sure if the help will help themselves to your luggage :).

Hank

Assuming the main port entrance is open you might want to consider Civitavecchia but let me explain how it would work. There would be a free shuttle bus (with plenty of luggage storage) from your pier to the main port entrance. At that point it is about a 4-5 block walk (its all flat) to the train station. The blocks are actually pretty long and the walk equals about 1/2 mile.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=42.088303,11.798114&hl=en&sll=42.089651,11.79447&sspn=0.006919,0.008787&geocode=FeVCggIdsuqzAA%3BFW83ggIdYga0AA&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=17

If your train is on Track 1 it would be relatively easy to get your luggage to the train cars.

Unlikely. Very unlikely.

But if it happens to be on any of the other tracks you need to get your luggage down the steps, through the tunnel, and up the steps to the appropriate platform.

Very likely.

I do not recall any elevators at the station in Civitavecchia (perhaps I missed it). There will be nobody to help you at the train station.

There are no lifts or escalators, and there are no porters.

You may also want to take a clue from the locals, and where they stand. Everybody stands near the entrance to the stairs, so when the train arrives there is a bun fight to get on the train, and no seats left.

The trains take the full length of the platform, so that is why you will see the locals stood way down there.... where nobody else is.

and when you get to Rome it is very wise to refuse any help with your luggage since you can never be sure if the help will help themselves to your luggage.

Or demand money, or just be a pain in the backside getting rid of them.

At Rome the trains come into Termini Laziali, which is at the far end of the Termini station - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Termini+Laziali,+Italy&hl=en&ll=41.897126,12.506272&spn=0.0067,0.008787&sll=41.897318,12.505971&sspn=0.0067,0.008787&oq=termini&t=h&hnear=Termini+Laziali&z=17

Another thing to think about:

Right now, taking the train Civi to Lugano requires a change of train in either Pisa or Roma Termini. Then, you change again in Milano. If you take the private transportation to Roma Termini, you have one less change of train.

thanks everybody....

sounds like going to switz was not such a great idea after all...we are all in pretty good shape for walking but not so much dragging suitcases....

also I think it will be easier, just to take the private van to rome and then have one less train change, by the sound of things...maybe faster too...dont want to spend the whole first day just on trains....

You get to go through some beautiful scenery!!! It's not that you're on a train. For me, it's some of my most relaxing times. I love sitting on a train, watching the Tuscan/Umbrian/Piedmont go by, while listening to Andrea Boccelli….