"Live" from Celebrity Century August 3-10, 2014

Richard&JohnSTX

BEYOND THE PODIUM: Milos presented his Fire and Ice: Alaska Born of Fire 12:15, not 11:45 as stated previously but 12:15. Unfortunately he took so long building up the background that by the time he got into the heart of the Alaska specific part it was 1:20, the Dining Room closes for lunch at 1:30 and I was hungry. We rushed over and were seated at a large table. A lovely couple from Australia joined us as well as a newlywed couple from England and her son. We all shared a lot of stories about cruising and travels in general, a nice group! I tried the SPE selections on the lunch menu: Mushroom Soup, Barbeque Chicken with kale and polenta, chocolate mousse for desert. All tasty and healthy!

ICY STRAIGHT POINT: We were to arrive at ICP at 3:00pm so went back to the cabin to put on some layers. The plan was to bring our laptops and go to the restaurant at the bottom of the Ziprider to use their free Wi Fi but it looked like rain was threatening so decided to go sans. We were to meet at the priority tender lounge at 3pm. They had a nice selection of cookies, coffee, juice etc. Unfortunately the Customs and Border Patrol did not board upon our arrival. We waited and waited and finally at 4:10 were called to a tender. Quick ride in and we were there. The facility at the pier includes a Crab Café, two restaurants, a museum of Salmon Canning, numerous shops and the Ziprider return platform.

We walked West all the way around the point, walking pace to pace with Radiance of the Seas that was departing for her next port. We went back to the shops to find the requisite Christmas Ornament for the tree (this makes 320 we have collected from our different ports and destinations – but who’s counting!) Some rain did come down but it cleared up in just minutes. We reviewed the available tours on offer and just decided to get some exercise. We walked at a brisk pace all the way to the small town of Hoonah – nice concrete pathway and then a sidewalk into town. Took a little over a half hour, looked around a bit, saw a nest with two juvenile big birds – not sure if they were eagles or not and walked as fast as possible back to ICP as it looked like the rain was coming. Got on the tender just as the skies opened up.

Dropped the stuff back to the Cabin and were at the Crystal Room with 15 minutes to spare. A drink and some canapés and we were set for a bit!

Dinner in the MDR was great – most people were still ashore so we had a nice window table to ourselves. I had some more SPE selections: A White Gazpacho Soup, Carrot Cumin Salad and a Seared Salmon Filet with Grilled Zucchini, Squash, and smashed fingerling potatoes. Yumm! Splurged on desert – love Celebrity’s Cheesecake, had it plain.

Had a walk around but it was pretty quiet. We stopped at Rendez Vous for a nightcap and then off to early bed.

What have the temperatures been like?

I especially appreciate your report on Icy Strait Point, it was the only port an Alaskan friend wasn't familiar with. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

WEDNESDAY August 6: Hubbard Glacier. Up again at 7am, turned on the TV to Bridge Cam and its raining and fog, UGH! We go down to the Elite Breakfast and are the only ones there, at least until 9am when we are finished. Jonette explained that though there are 35 Elites onboard they are mostly with extended families. Understandable that they want to be with the kids and probably grandkids!

There are a lot more kids onboard than most cruises we have been on. For the most part they have been well behaved. Today was more difficult for them as the temp this morning was 49 – definitely not pool weather. There was a little more running around and noise inside than I am used to!

A little later the ice floe was starting to float by so up top we were taking photos of the green hillsides and bits of ice through a light rain. Grabbed a blanket from the pool to wrap around my shoulders and then it was down to Deck 7 Aft outside of the Crystal Room. This secret spot was shared recently by a member on Cruise Critic. I can’t remember his name but all I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you! This is a perfect spot – great views and protected from the wind and rain. I am sharing the secret again, only a few others were there with us. The weather cleared and we were able to get within ½ mile of the Glacier. The blue color of the ice is truly incredible, Milos said the ice we are seeing is 300 – 500 years old! There was quite a bit of calving with the accompanying thunder! There were also 100’s of Harbour Seals sleeping on the floe. From what appeared earlier to be a washed out day turned out to be a spectacular display of nature. Thanks to Captain George for bringing us so close to the glacier and thanks to Milos for his wonderful commentary!

Lunch in the MDR was packed! It was 48 degrees outside at the glacier so no wonder everyone decided to dine inside. I did the SPE selections again: Cumin Carrot Soup, Whole Wheat Orchiette with Veggies and a Pear Tart. Could have had more veggies in the pasta but I don’t want to be too healthy do I?

Milos presented Sea Mammals of Alaska at 1:30 pm. The place was packed! Another great presentation but some of the kids should be out on deck in a forced march to get rid of some of this excess energy!

Back to the Cabin, John was editing a document, maybe that’s what put me to sleep!

Jonette had invited us to Elegant Tea in the Grand Dining Room but I knew John wanted to bill a few hours this afternoon. Just don’t tell her I slept instead of going to Tea!

At 6pm, bright and sunny and we are in open ocean on our way to tomorrow’s port of call, Juneau. The plan for tomorrow is to get another walk in to burn some of the calories being consumed on this trip! We plan a visit to the State Capital, outside view of the Governor’s Mansion, some shopping, maybe a Crab Leg lunch and if the weather is nice a trip on the tram up to Mt. Roberts.

7pm is Celebrity Showtime: Comedian Fred Klett. Milos told all of us today not to miss him, they have been friends for years and that he was really funny. The guy is a hoot and clean family comedy at that. But one of his jokes rubbed me the wrong way – have to sleep on that one.

7:45 is the Senior Officer’s Party in the Crystal Room. The last two cruises we have been on had Noro outbreak for the majority of the time so no handshaking. It is so difficult to get over the aversion to shaking hands but of course all the Officers and Staff are going out of their way to be nice to us at these events so I hope everyone is washing with warm water for 20 seconds and using the Purell liberally! Of course spoke to the Captain again and a lot of Officers. Thanks especially to Food & Beverage Director Koray Savas for sitting with us and inquiring of our experience so far – as reported we have been very happy with the food quality and presentation so far. We spoke to him about Criuse Critic – he is very appreciative of feedback from our community so they can correct issues but he did stress to bring any concerns up on the Attention to Detail cards while onboard so they have a chance to make things right onboard . Guest Relations Manager Cameron Robertson stopped by as well as the Cruise Director Kyle Dodson. Another nice evening in the Crystal Room

We had changed our standing 8:00pm MDR Select Dining reservation yesterday to 8:30 tonight so we could attend the Senior Officer’s Party. We were a bit late to the MDR but were still seated at a wonderful table at the aft overlooking the wake. A friend of ours started a “view from my cocktail” theme on Facebook a couple years ago. It has been great fun to see him and his/our friends post these pics from around the world. Well, I have not had time to post to FB on this cruise but did take the sunset view from my wine glass tonight. Will go on FB soon! We had ordered a South African Pinotage – a nice wine at a reasonable price.

It was another SPE night for me – Duck Terrine, Beet Salad and Seared Branzino. The terrine was fabulous and tasty. I love beets so the salad was great. The Branzino was dry – a disappointment after the moist salmon last night but the lentils and other sides were fine so I did not need anything more. Kiwi Sorbet hit the spot.

Writing this from bed – John is asleep, snoring, and clutching a book in hand! Guess he should have had a nap this afternoon too!

More tomorrow,

Richard

Hey Richard! Thanks for your report. Continue to have fun on Century and all the best to you and John.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much - we had a great time with you and Helen in April!

Century is a Grand Old Dame - so looking forward to being back on her in March - you should join us!

Richard

On Century in about a month for 23N and very glad to hear she is in good shape overall. I'll be interested in your review :)

Hi aerospace,

She is in really good shape excepting that the top deck floors are a bit out of repair, but maybe the new line will want a new there look anyway. If that's the worst that can be said...

R

Very much looking forward to more! Please tell Capt. George that his new room mate, Benny the cat, is on his way. Curious to see if he remembers us. On second thought, do this only if you want him to think you are as nuts as we are.

Continue to have a great cruise.

Hi Anne,

I did relay your message to Captain George tonight at the Senior Officer's Party. He did look like I was nuts - but I have been called worse so no worries!

Richard

Fantastic reading, can't wait for the next episode.

Could you do me a big favour and check to see what sort of power plugs the century takes. I have been on her but cant remember and I have emailed celebrity with no reply. I cant remember if it is the USA, European or Aussie. I vaguely recall one ship we have been on took 2 different types of plugs.

Thanks heaps

Hi, as reported afterwards it is one US and one European, John brought an adapter so we can keep the two laptops charged up.

R

Enjoying your review. Congrats on being the top cruisers! I'm so glad we turned up the heat for you Caribbeans here in Vancouver. It looks like it will be quite warm still, when you return next Sunday.

Heh, Thanks for keeping the heat up - after 48 degrees at the glacier today I am looking forward to warm weather in Vancouver for the 3 days we will be there upon our return from the cruise!

R

Hi Richard, thanks for sharing your experience with us and really enjoying

your review. Century is really a special ship:)...and Capt George is

so awesome.:D Congrats on being top cruisers!

Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks Lois,

I have so enjoyed your reviews and posts! Capt George is incredible, he is planning on being on when we cruise from Singapore to Dubai in March so even though this seven days is not enough we are so happy what we have coming up!

R

Thanks Richard and John for sharing. We will be on her Aug. 24th. Love reading anything about her and Alaska. The Century is our favorite Celebrity ship we were on her back in Dec. to Hawaii and she was in superb condition other then the chairs in the Crystal room. We were told by the Captain and the Hotel manager Sheldon Thompson that they were being redone so nice to hear it happened. We too are formerly from the Boston area, Ogunquit to be exact. Have we met? Enjoy your cruise!

Hi bobnjeff,

Don't think we have met but I have seen a lot of your posts! Yes the chairs are all redone in Crystal, Hemispheres and I think Rendez-Vous too. After we get off Century we are in Vancouver for 3 days then to Boston for 4 then Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and back to Boston - all to see family and friends.

See you spend time in Sarasota too - we have friends there as well as Ft Myers and Tampa!

R

Loving your review...we got off Century on Aug 3!. Spent many nights at the Martini Bar...Ardemis the waiter was great! We had absolutely no rain on Juneau and Ketchikan days....amazing!

This was my first cruise and was surprised one morning as I sat in the buffet alone for a late breakfast and realized Captain George was sitting at the next table having breakfast with his wife and two small boys!

Edited by SA71

What have the temperatures been like?

I especially appreciate your report on Icy Strait Point, it was the only port an Alaskan friend wasn't familiar with. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

Temperatures have been very moderate - ICP yesterday was high 60's, the only real cold was at the Glacier today - 48 and breezy - I looked dashing with a pool blanket draped over my shoulders!

R

What are your favorite activities and entertainment?

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Eating and Drinking!

Seriously though the entertainment from the production shows to the Guitarist to the Pianist to the Strings etc. etc. they are all very good. Milos the Naturalist is wonderful - we were on the Solstice from Sydney to Hawaii with him last year so were thrilled to sees him back. We are kind of nerds so eating, drinking, reading, lectures, shows are great for us. Though I take 3 Yoga classes a week at home and lift weights on my pool deck, on a ship I skip the organized Zumba etc and just eat and drink!

R

Loving your review...we got off Century on Aug 3!. Spent many nights at the Martini Bar...Ardemis the waiter was great! We had absolutely no rain on Juneau and Ketchikan days....amazing!

This was my first cruise and was surprised one morning as I sat in the buffet alone for a late breakfast and realized Captain George was sitting at the next table having breakfast with his wife and two small boys!

Hi, Glad you had good weather in Juneau and Ketchikan - hope we are as lucky!

The Captains on Celebrity are like that - they are in the Cafe and around the ship and mingle with the guests. Capt. George did mention his kids to us - but maybe they are soon back to Greece for the start of school?

Hope you enjoyed your first cruise and have now gotten the bug!

R

Hi, Glad you had good weather in Juneau and Ketchikan - hope we are as lucky!

The Captains on Celebrity are like that - they are in the Cafe and around the ship and mingle with the guests. Capt. George did mention his kids to us - but maybe they are soon back to Greece for the start of school?

Hope you enjoyed your first cruise and have now gotten the bug!

R

We will.definitely be cruising again!

The Captain's wife appeared to be from the UK and she and the boys spoke with british accents.

Re ICP we also had customs issues and just made it ashore by 4 pm for our private tour. We went to the Rendezvous at 2:15 and got tickets for tender 1 (that is tender 1 after the elites and people with celebrity shore excursions). At 3:45 it became clear we would not make it so we hung around on deck 5 near the card room, which was being used to hold the elite cruisers, and when they were called about 3:50 the lady let us go right afterward when we explained the situation. We got to our tour just in time, although ended up waiting 30 min for the other six people who were also on our tour who got off on tender 1!

Also docked 20 min late in Ketchikan and our tour guide (this time a Celebrity tour) said he hasn't seen the Century dock on time this season as the Princess ship always is supposed to sail at 1:30 but always leaves late.

Hi Richard and Jeff. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your review (and a good excuse not to do more gardening). Living in the UK I've never been to Alaska and don't think there will be an opportunity to do so. Your descriptions are great and make me feel I'm with you. Keep cruising and I'll watch this space.

Richard:

Thanks again for the lovely reporting of your trip on the Century....it is making me even more anxious to be on the Centruy again. I sailed on her in 1996 on my first cruise and was hooked on cruising. Glad to her she is still beautiful and has her charm.

Did you see whales while you were in Icy Strait Point? When we were there in 2004, we stayed on the ship and had a free whale show.....one actually breached right next to the ship as we were watching from our balcony. It was incredible. Hoping to see some on our trip this time too.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures!

Debbie

Hi Anne,

I did relay your message to Captain George tonight at the Senior Officer's Party. He did look like I was nuts - but I have been called worse so no worries!

Richard

Thanks again Richard for your great review. It almost put me back on the ship. As to Benny the cat, we had a conversation at dinner about bringing pets onboard (tongue firmly in cheek) and he volunteered his cabin and offered to provide the litter box. Guess we thought it was more memorable than he did. ;)

Really enjoy your writing style.

Love your review so far, was on Century in June and this is bringing back fantastic memories. Used that same spot to see Hubbard Glacier when there was some light rain to take pictures - that back deck 7 aft was covered, not crowded and perfect spot to get some photos. Sounds like you've had some great cruises with Celebrity over the years, it was our first with Celebrity, but I'm planning next summer's right now! Thank you for the in depth review.

Also docked 20 min late in Ketchikan and our tour guide (this time a Celebrity tour) said he hasn't seen the Century dock on time this season as the Princess ship always is supposed to sail at 1:30 but always leaves late.

Hi,

It's actually NCL Pearl which is due out from deck / pier #3 ...and Century slips in there after she's gone.....The timing is a bit tight and results in the 14,00hr ''official docking'' being quite frequently later than that.

Cheers

Richard:

Thanks again for the lovely reporting of your trip on the Century....it is making me even more anxious to be on the Centruy again. I sailed on her in 1996 on my first cruise and was hooked on cruising. Glad to her she is still beautiful and has her charm.

Did you see whales while you were in Icy Strait Point? When we were there in 2004, we stayed on the ship and had a free whale show.....one actually breached right next to the ship as we were watching from our balcony. It was incredible. Hoping to see some on our trip this time too.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures!

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Unfortunately no whales just the seals as mentioned, have not written up today yet but bears and eagles are coming up!

R