"Live" from Celebrity Century August 3-10, 2014

Richard&JohnSTX

We will.definitely be cruising again!

The Captain's wife appeared to be from the UK and she and the boys spoke with british accents.

Re ICP we also had customs issues and just made it ashore by 4 pm for our private tour. We went to the Rendezvous at 2:15 and got tickets for tender 1 (that is tender 1 after the elites and people with celebrity shore excursions). At 3:45 it became clear we would not make it so we hung around on deck 5 near the card room, which was being used to hold the elite cruisers, and when they were called about 3:50 the lady let us go right afterward when we explained the situation. We got to our tour just in time, although ended up waiting 30 min for the other six people who were also on our tour who got off on tender 1!

Also docked 20 min late in Ketchikan and our tour guide (this time a Celebrity tour) said he hasn't seen the Century dock on time this season as the Princess ship always is supposed to sail at 1:30 but always leaves late.

Sorry about your problems in ICP, I would have been so nervous!

Funny you should mention Ketchikan as the server in the Elite Lounge tonight warned we may not be off the ship on schedule!

Not a problem for us as we are just going to get off and explore as we did today.

Speaking of today, as I will not post about today til tomorrow but the Captain and his wife and kids were at Mendenhall Glacier today!

R

Love your review so far, was on Century in June and this is bringing back fantastic memories. Used that same spot to see Hubbard Glacier when there was some light rain to take pictures - that back deck 7 aft was covered, not crowded and perfect spot to get some photos. Sounds like you've had some great cruises with Celebrity over the years, it was our first with Celebrity, but I'm planning next summer's right now! Thank you for the in depth review.

Hi and thanks for your support of my first efforts on doing a review!

Yes, the Aft on 7 is great, did not figure it out on our Hawaii cruise in 2012 and it would have been great then too as we had a lot of rain then.

Great fun in planning and cruising Celebrity!

R

Thanks again Richard for your great review. It almost put me back on the ship. As to Benny the cat, we had a conversation at dinner about bringing pets onboard (tongue firmly in cheek) and he volunteered his cabin and offered to provide the litter box. Guess we thought it was more memorable than he did. ;)

Really enjoy your writing style.

Hi Anne,

If I see Capt George again I will relay the story and see if he remembers. We did pass him and his wife and kids today at the Glacier waterfall path - what a great looking family! We are also cat lovers, leaving our orange tiger for a month is really difficult for us, and it is worse for him as our cleaning lady moves in with her two kids when we are away - one look at her and he automatically thinks the vacuum is coming out!!!

R

Sounds like you are enjoying The Century, we are looking forward to sailing again on her in March, last time was around 98 or 99 to Caribbean. You should enjoy Alaska we sailed last year on Princess's first cruise of the season.

Keep on enjoying life and look forward to meeting you on Board in March

Carol:D

THURSDAY August 7: Juneau. Up at 7am again and we are at the dock. Wet, grey, and misty. We are again the only ones at breakfast!

Off the ship around 9:30 and the weather is improving. We walk around the shopping areas and then up the hill past the State Capitol Building. Walking up towards the Governor’s Mansion the sun comes out and we take off the jackets. Check out a few more shops for trinkets and then stop by The Hangar for lunch and free Wi Fi. The head waiter is beside himself about the weather – keeps repeating to everyone – it’s sunny – it’s sunny! After some Alaska Brewery IPA and a crab sandwich its back to the ship to drop off the purchases and laptop bag.

Weather still nice so we buy tickets for the Mendenhall Glacier Shuttle. Ten bucks each way pp and we are off. Lenny from NY is the driver – he is a hoot but John fears he must get most of his info from that Wiki place! He drops us off and we head to the Salmon stream. Lots of different species are swimming upstream. As we pass over a bridge a Black Bear and two cubs appear on the stream edge. In a flash before I could focus the iPhone she has grabbed a salmon from the stream and they are off into the bush for a late lunch! John did a little better and got a shot of her back. Then it was off down the trail to the waterfall. We pass the Captain and his wife and kids as they are leaving the trail. It was a nice little hike in and out with great views of the Glacier and Waterfall. Amazingly few people for such a beautiful day and four ships in port!

Back to the ship and the Elite Cocktails. We chat again with Larry and Nadine from AZ and CA. He worked for the New England Patriots for 30+ years so there is the MA connection. Jonette stops by for a chat also and reminds us about the Wine Appreciation event tomorrow. Oh, great, more free booze!!!!

It’s formal night tonight. We have a nice table overlooking the starboard shore passing by. The adjacent table of 8 has 4 gents in tuxes but that is about all the tuxes I noticed. We wore our blazers and ties, most were in jackets no ties or even just long sleeve shirts. Women as usual were looking a little snazzier! I had the SPE Pea Soup and a nice Escarole salad. Splurged on the Caribbean Lobster Entrée – just held off on too much melted butter! A nice Cambria Chardonnay went well with all.

Off to bed, more tomorrow!

Richard

Sounds like you are enjoying The Century, we are looking forward to sailing again on her in March, last time was around 98 or 99 to Caribbean. You should enjoy Alaska we sailed last year on Princess's first cruise of the season.

Keep on enjoying life and look forward to meeting you on Board in March

Carol:D

Hi Carol,

We really are enjoying the Century. She is a beautiful ship and the cleaners are everywhere keeping her shipshape. Yesterday I noticed worker grinding down a metal rail in prep for some new paint. And today walking on the aft deck 7 we saw another worker painting rails. Not being neglected at all!

Jonette the Captain's Club Hostess told us she will be back onboard during our March cruise. The Captain said he will be on then too! Will be a happy cruise!

Looking forward to meeting you inMarch!

Richard

We are also sailing with you on Century next March. Thank you so very much for a marvelous

Review!

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Sheila.

Thanks Sheila,

I really have enjoyed writing up this review, Wish I had done so on at least some of our previous cruises. This is one happy ship - makes writing about her and the crew pretty darn easy!

Look forward to meeting you both in March too, can't come too soon!

Richard

Hi Anne,

If I see Capt George again I will relay the story and see if he remembers. We did pass him and his wife and kids today at the Glacier waterfall path - what a great looking family! We are also cat lovers, leaving our orange tiger for a month is really difficult for us, and it is worse for him as our cleaning lady moves in with her two kids when we are away - one look at her and he automatically thinks the vacuum is coming out!!!

R

So happy you are having a great cruise. I really need to get back to Alaska before I am too old.

I feel for your tiger kitty. A month is a long time, but at least you have someone living in. Much better than just having a sitter.

If you are really going to pursue this, :D, tell him we sent him a picture of Benny with a note from him? on the last day of the cruise. Do not know if he ever got it, but he probably does not have too many guests who send him pics. of their cat. ;)

Hi Carol,

We really are enjoying the Century. She is a beautiful ship and the cleaners are everywhere keeping her shipshape. Yesterday I noticed worker grinding down a metal rail in prep for some new paint. And today walking on the aft deck 7 we saw another worker painting rails. Not being neglected at all!

Jonette the Captain's Club Hostess told us she will be back onboard during our March cruise. The Captain said he will be on then too! Will be a happy cruise!

Looking forward to meeting you inMarch!

Richard

Hi Richard:

Do you know when they will be having a crew change since you said they will be back on in March?

Debbie

Richard, I'm enjoying your report. Bob and I board her in two weeks for a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska to San Francisco--a warm-up cruise for our March cruise with you and John. We're looking forward to sailing with the both of you again.

Garry

FRIDAY August 8: Ketchikan coming up. Up again at 7am. We are the only ones at Elite breakfast again. I could get used to this!

Went up to Hemispheres to post yesterdays review. Milos had just finished saying we had passed out of the whale watching area when a pod of about eight whales was spotted. Lots of spouting and tail flips. A bit too far away to get good photos of them on the iPhone, however.

Forgot to mention that yesterday we spotted a Bald Eagle flying around the trees above Juneau in the morning and then flying around the ships on the dock at about noon.

11am brought the Wine Appreciation 101 Seminar for all Captain’s Club Members. Sommelier Yesh did a nice job of presenting and explaining the four wines. A Riesling from Germany, a Chardonnay from Chile, a Cabernet from Chile and a Malbec from Argentina. Everyone agreed the Riesling was a surprise favourite, tied with the Malbec .

Yesh is from Goa, one of our stops in March – he will be onboard then too!

We were waiting for the doors to open at the MDR at noon so got one of the 2 tops aft overlooking the wake. No need to order wine with lunch, we were still feeling the effects of the wine tasting! Tomato Salad and then Fried Chicken hit the spot.

We arrived Ketchikan just before our 2pm time slot to see the NCL ship leaving our berth right on schedule. We had been told yesterday that doesn’t always happen and often Century is delayed in docking. Not today!

Read that there is a walking tour map of Ketchikan that can be picked up at the Visitor’s Center. That will be or exercise for the day. Weather is high 50’s and pretty clear. Not quite sunny but not bad either.

More tonight!

Richard

Richard, I'm enjoying your report. Bob and I board her in two weeks for a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska to San Francisco--a warm-up cruise for our March cruise with you and John. We're looking forward to sailing with the both of you again.

Garry

Hi Garry,

Looking forward to seeing you and Bob again in March. Jealous about your extension of the Alaska Cruise to SF - that will be great!

Richard

Garry

Bob and Garry - look after her. I will be boarding her in San Francisco to cruise Alaska with my sister...

Hi Richard;

I am really enjoying your review. We sailed the Century to Alaska last July and were the surprise top cruisers...something I never thought I would be. We had the lovely Marlene as our CCH and were treated royally. We were on the Century for a back-to-back in February 2014 and Captain George was the master on all three cruises. He is a very kind and gracious man.

Century is one of my favourite ships. I am still trying to figure out how to get on her one more time before she leaves Celebrity.

In the meantime, it is lovely to hear of your experiences. Thanks again for taking the time to share your trip with us. :)

Historic Ketchikan Walking Tour: We let the masses depart when the announcement came that we were cleared at 2:10pm. We walked off leisurely at 3pm, picked up the Walking Tour Map at the Visitor’s Center at the end of the pier. The walking tour comprises two areas: Downtown including the Stedman/Thomas District and the Creek Street Historic District. The other Walking Tour continues to New Town and the West End. Website is http://www.tourketchikan.com if you want to plan in advance!

Up and up the hill, passing some marked sights. At the fish ladder overlook was the first glimpse of 1000’s of Salmon working their way upstream to spawn. The old Fish Hatchery was fenced off, maybe renovations are in order? Walked through the City Park and passed the Totem Heritage Center. Down the hill and back into town and the Creek St. area. This was originally the Red Light district. “Where fish and men come to spawn”. Interesting buildings built on stilts over the picturesque stream. Up another hill to the west we went – a Victorian from the early 1900’s was a feature and then an overlook – the Regent ship leaving port and a great view of our Century. We did venture through New Town and the West End but it was not as interesting and besides it was time for:

Elite Cocktails: Again just a few of us but it was nice to recap the day with our fellow passengers. I must say I might have had one too many Gin Martinis!

MDR Dinner: Went at 8pm and were seated at another great aft window seat. We both had the SPE Soup and Salad selections that were quite good. Unfortunately both John’s Pork Loin and my Chicken Saltimbocca were quite dry. The Albarino wine washed it down just fine however!

Tomorrow is a sea day before returning to Vancouver on Sunday.

Richard

Hi Richard;

I am really enjoying your review. We sailed the Century to Alaska last July and were the surprise top cruisers...something I never thought I would be. We had the lovely Marlene as our CCH and were treated royally. We were on the Century for a back-to-back in February 2014 and Captain George was the master on all three cruises. He is a very kind and gracious man.

Century is one of my favourite ships. I am still trying to figure out how to get on her one more time before she leaves Celebrity.

In the meantime, it is lovely to hear of your experiences. Thanks again for taking the time to share your trip with us. :)

Thanks so much for your kind words. The Century and Capt. George are a class act! It has been an enjoyable cruise and a treat to be treated so well!

Maybe you should join us for Singapore to Dubai in March - Vancouver to Singapore is a pretty easy trip!

Richard

Thanks for a great live review so far :)

Thanks Debbie,

It's been fun to do, wish I had tried to do one before! Of course with 240 free internet minutes it takes the stress out of worrying about the slow connection speed!

Richard

Hi, guys--

The same thing happened to Norm and I on Century a year ago this June doing the same cruise. Marlene was the CC Hostesses and she met us at check-in (Two white roses had been given to us with our SeaPass cards -- that was so she could ID us!) and told us we were the top cruisers! I think at that time we had 42 points under the old system. We may have also been the first same sex couple to be so honored. Instead of the usual flowers and champagne we each got a nice bottle of wine from Captain George at the CC meeting. No stage appearances for us!

This will probably be too late but we did the ship's cooking excursion at Icy Point Strait. Outstanding! The freshest salmon and halibut we'd ever had.

We are doing the SFO-SYD cruise and also SIN-DXB and DXB-FCO. See you along the way.

Frank and Norm in cloudy and humid SBA:cool:

SATURDAY August 9: Elite Breakfast was just us again until just before 9am when another CC Member came in to partake of the selections.

Bridge Tour: We were invited for a Bridge tour at 11am. We met 10 minutes before in the forward elevator lobby on Deck 10. Sylvia the Michael’s Club Hostess brought us in. Capt. George did the talk and he had baklava served for us after the presentation! Well done, what a treat! We’ve never been on a Bridge tour where the Capt. conducted it nor had Greek Baklava either!

Lunch: Our traditional Saturday lunch is a Hot Dog and a Beer so why break with tradition! Though I must say being served it in the Grand Dining Room overlooking the Sea beats me microwaving a dog and eating it at my desk at work. That is what I normally do when not on vacation!

Last presentation by Milos at 1:30pm - The Weather. Another great presentation with almost a full house!

Celebrity Showtime Matinee: Production Singers Cabaret at 2:30pm. This is something Celebrity started to do last year. The Production Singers select their favorite songs and present them in a Cabaret format. A very enjoyable presentation and a nice way to break up the afternoon. The dancers did a short act too!

Elite Cocktails: Our last get together! So sad to say good byes to our new friends Larry and Nadine from AZ and CA and David and Naomi from OR! Jonette spent some time with us too – her pics of her two kids back in the Philippines were precious! Our servers were all there to say goodbye too, Goran from Serbia, Michael from the Philippines, Eliska from the Czech Republic and Kadek from Indonesia.

We went to the room and organized the packing before taking a last spin around the top decks before going to:

Celebrity Showtime: Dance around the World at 9pm. Another energetic display of talent. The orchestra was great as well as all of the singers and dancers – looking forward to seeing these shows again come March!

We had a 9:30 reservation at Murano. Capt. George was coming out with some of his Officers and said hello. As part of the Top Cruisers perks we were gifted a dinner in Murano with a bottle of wine. We had decided on Chateaubriand for two in advance so just had to choose the apps and desert. The wine comped was up to $40 a bottle so we splurged and paid the additional for an upgrade to a bottle of Hess 19 Block blend of Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz. Very nice indeed. The Sommelier was Aneesh – he was in Blu on our cruise from Sydney to Honolulu last year! We started with the Lobster Bisque, had the great Chateaubriand and then two decadent deserts.I Gede from Indonesia was our waiter – nice guy and very professional.

So hitting the sack now at 12:10am with a full belly and lots of nice memories of an enjoyable week to put me to sleep!

More tomorrow,

Richard

What a good review, makes me feel like I am on a cruise. I have been to Alaska many times, and your review brings it all back. I was surprised there were so few Elites on board, after the last couple of TA's I have done with so many, it would be refreshing to have less Elites.

Safe travels home.

Norma