Question for CCers who have done the Amazon River

tnr

Didn't see a single mosquito on our cruise 3 years ago on the Navigator.

We were told the acidity (or lack of) wouldn't allow them to lay their eggs.

Be sure to go to Devil's Island & the caiman hunt at Manaus.

Have been up river twice, last time in December 2012. Don't recall any bug bites. But, be sure to take Malaria medications. Manaus is an endemic area. I also recommend repellant infused clothing.

Best ShoreEx Boi Bumba in Parintins. Try to be on first tender and go directly to theater for best seats.

j

31/425

We have done both coasts. Santiago to FLL and Rio to Miami with nine days on the Amazon. We always use spray with deet when going into the small villages. DH is a bug-attractor and was really bitten on the Amazon. I was not. Never noticed any mosquitos onboard. We needed Yellow Fever for Ecuador but no specific inoculations for the Amazon as I remember, but we had already had everything by then!!

We're going with you, and interested in the answer. What are you doing for immunizations?

Marinaro44, we have just about decided against immunization. The odds of dying from the vaccine is much greater for those 60 and older. Our doctor felt it would be better to go without. Have you decided?

We have already sprayed our clothes with a clothing repellent. And I have a lot of deet bug repellent.

jmariner, thanks for the tip about Boi Bumba. As it turns out, we already have reservations for it.:D

We have done both coasts. Santiago to FLL and Rio to Miami with nine days on the Amazon. We always use spray with deet when going into the small villages. DH is a bug-attractor and was really bitten on the Amazon. I was not. Never noticed any mosquitos onboard. We needed Yellow Fever for Ecuador but no specific inoculations for the Amazon as I remember, but we had already had everything by then!!

Your DH was bitten even using the deet?

Expected to get a lot of bugs but almost none showed up!

Tour of Manaus Opera House was a high point . Lots and lots of children in villages - that's what happens when there's not much TV!

Disappointed we couldn't land on Devil's Islands - they said swells too large! I was bringing hack saws for my friends in Devil's Islands and they were VERY disappointed too!

Edited by TedC

Yep, tnr he was. He went on a jungle trek and I went to the Manaus Opera House. He is allergic to bug "spit" and has had problems in Guatemala, Dominican Republic, etc. He has also had adverse reactions two weeks after returning home. So, not typical.

TedC, I loved the Opera House. Very different from those in Europe, but beautiful in their own right. Also, although we had attended the lectures about Devil's Island and we really looking forward to going, we also could not go due to large swells.

JMARINAR, we were there in Feb. 2013 and our entire trip was really hot. It was probably air conditioned, but still warm. Just a great experience.

I was on the Amazon in December 2012. Took lots of mosquito repellant, hat with bug netting, etc. Don't recall seeing a single mosquito. Saw some big bugs at nighttime on the Navigator, but otherwise virtually no bugs.

Got all the recommended vaccinations and had no problems. Also took anti-malaria drugs with no problem.