What kind of weather?

We are preparing for two cruises. The first trip goes from San Francisco to Sydney, the second is from Brisbane and around New Zealand. Could some of you tell us what to expect weatherwise? Thank you.

Yes, time of year makes a big difference. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Check out these postings for more info/background on our many great port stops and activities in these two wonderful countries down under. Tell us more on your ports and dates.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

Here are two examples that I pulled together in prep for our early 2014 trip.

Jan. 20, Monday: Sydney: 2013 weather on this date: high of 75°F, low of 67°F; average high on this date of 80°F, average low of 66°F; average humidity: 72%; recent record high of 91°F (2000), recent record low of 64°F (1997); 2013 precipitation: 0.4, average precipitation on this date: .15; sunrise: 6:03 am; sunset: 8:07 pm. Moon at 89.3%.

Jan. 29, Wednesday, Wellington: 2013: high of 71°F, low of 57°F; average high of 67°F, average low of 57°F; average humidity: 76%; recent record high of 71°F (1998), recent record low of 53°F (1997); 2013 precipitation: zero, average precipitation on this date: .06; sunrise: 6:22 am; sunset: 8:44 pm.

Reactions? Added question, info needs??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 70,965 views for this fun posting.

We leave San Francisco Sept.16th and arrive in Sydney Oct.10th,leave Brisbane Oct.13 for 14days ending in Brisbane until Oct.30th. We want to be able to figure out what to pack.

Thanks for any suggestions.

We leave San Francisco Sept.16th and arrive in Sydney Oct.10th,leave Brisbane Oct.13 for 14days ending in Brisbane until Oct.30th. We want to be able to figure out what to pack.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sydney...summer clothing with a jumper/cardigan for some nights. Much the same clothing as SF in your April.

Brisbane....summer clothing, shorts, Tshirts, but still not too hot for jeans.

NZ......lots cooler over there in Oct. South Island suggest jeans/tshirt/jumper/wet weather jacket. North Island will be a bit warmer.

The long range forecast shows that we will be getting some weather at that time of the year.

I suggest bringing your normal 'cruise' wear, shorts, jeans, a jumper or jacket for the cooler climes of NZ, enclosed shoes and also a rain jacket of some sort. Bring a hat ands sunscreen as well. have a great couple of cruises.:D

Same as what you would wear in spring at home, with a couple of warm layers as cool nights are common. Depending on where you stop on the cruise over you will need summery clothing as places like French Polynesia and Hawaii can be hot and possibly humid.

This may be useful for you for the Australian weather.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/

You can select quite a variety of options especially in the Weather & Climate Data section.

And here is the NZ MetService website.

http://www.metservice.com/national/home

If you select either a town/city or a rural region and scroll down you will then be able to select to see the historical data for that region, which should give you a good idea what to expect there.

hi everyone....i didn't want to start a new thread for one question...but I have been searching the internet for a hour or so now and can not figure out where HAL would dock in Melbourne--is it Victoria Harbour???.....as in proximity to the City Circle Tram and free tourist bus locations? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Lori

Edited by newcruisers04

hi everyone....i didn't want to start a new thread for one question...but I have been searching the internet for a hour or so now and can not figure out where HAL would dock in Melbourne--is it Victoria Harbour???.....as in proximity to the City Circle Tram and free tourist bus locations? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Lori

Yes they dock on station pier either right behind spirit of tas or the other side if no other ship is in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And for some of you from USA "Jumper" translation is a Sweater;)

A jumper was originally made from pure wool, wool comes from a sheep,sheep jump a lot so "A Woolly Jumper" to modern day "jumper" :D:D:D

Edited by fishtaco

Yes they dock on station pier either right behind spirit of tas or the other side if no other ship is in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I said " most likely" Station Pier as cannot be guaranteed due to operational requirements, ie, other ships booked in ,weather etc.

Sometimes they use Webb dock in which case a shuttle service is provided.

Edited by yatchet

And for some of you from USA "Jumper" translation is a Sweater;)

A jumper was originally made from pure wool, wool comes from a sheep,sheep jump a lot so "A Woolly Jumper" to modern day "jumper" :D:D:D

A kangaroo crossed with a sheep gives you a woolly jumper too.:confused::confused: