Wine suggestions in the menu?

Hey ya'll,

In November my DW and I will be celebrating out 3rd anniversary aboard the Liberty of the Seas.

We have both opted to purchase the premium drink package, as we both enjoy trying out new drinks to find out what we like.

We are TOTAL rookies when it comes to wine, but it is my understanding that certain wines are paired with different food selections.

Is this something that will be pointed out or listed in the menu for each entree, or do just blindly pick one :)

Thanks for helping out this guy so I won't look stupid on the cruise :)

Thanks so much

Tim

The menu will suggest wines by the bottle for each night, not necessarily paired with the actual food you order. Although RCI does have cellar masters (behind the scenes managing inventory), they don't have a sommelier who haunts the premises suggesting wines. The waitstaff are generally more clueless than you are.

The traditional rule is white wine goes with chicken and fish, while red wine goes with red meat. The more modern approach is that you pick a wine you want to drink and ignore the traditional rule.:D.

You are best learning about what wines you like with different food prior to going

Waiters won't know but the semilliares wandering will guide you at dinner

Do the chefs table on board that comes with the wine already paired

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The traditional rule is white wine goes with chicken and fish, while red wine goes with red meat. The more modern approach is that you pick a wine you want to drink and ignore the traditional rule.:D.

I tend to order my meal and then usually follow the traditional rule - so it makes you look like you know what you are talking about, although sometimes I just want a glass of white/red regardless of what I'm eating, so I'm a bit modern too!! I've also booked the same package as the OP and my plan is to work my way down the wine list, so that by the end of the week I've tried everything :)

Another thought, on other cruises I've been on (not sure if they do this on RCI) there has been a wine tasting event one day, where they teach you about wine pairings and use the wines on their wine list. May be something worth looking out for??

I second trying to learn a little something before you go! For example, I know that I like unoaked whites and full bodied reds. That's usually enough for a sommelier (or RCCL equivalent..) to go on to be able to recommend a bottle that I will like. See if you can find a wine tasting at a local wine shop or bar in your town- they are a great setting for asking questions and figuring out what you like. Enjoy!!

You are best learning about what wines you like with different food prior to going

Waiters won't know but the semilliares wandering will guide you at dinner

Do the chefs table on board that comes with the wine already paired

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are no sommeliers on RCI ships. If one is lucky, ones assistant waiter might know something about wine, but they are too rushed to talk much.

I second the idea of going to Vintages and trying a wine flight or three. I don't think they would be included in your package, though. But the winetenders actually know a thing or two about wine and are happy to share their knowledge.

The main thing to know is whether you prefer "sweet" or "dry" wines.

Champagne (& fake champagne) are usually dry... I don't like champagne. Dessert wines & rose' are usually sweet... I like sweet. I like white zinfandel, asti spumanti. Red wines, not so much. Red wines are usually dry...but there is one red sparkling I have tried that is sweet.. Banfi Rosa Regale.

Once you know your preference, then you can ask the waiter for a recommendation.

(My experience as a wine novice.)